The venue issue...

  • lnellett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2008
      I wouldn't go so far as to say we're cursed or anything, but we are
      having a difficult time finding a venue we can consistently meet at
      that fits our criteria.

      As far as I can tell, those criteria are:

      * in the Wicker Park neighborhood
      * close to an el stop
      * open until 9 PM on Tuesdays
      * adequate seating for up to 20
      * decent lighting
      * beverages and snacks available (for purchase, or to bring in)

      I spent a few minutes today exploring what the city of Chicago may
      have to offer, and the news is mixed.

      There is a new branch library at 1701 N. Milwaukee (about a block
      north of the Damen Blue Line stop) that has meetings rooms that
      anyone can reserve. There are 2 meeting rooms: one that fits about
      10 people and is set up boardroom style, and another that fits up to
      80 people. We could bring in our own (non-alcoholic) food and drinks
      and clean up after ourselves. The problem is that we have to reserve
      the space at least 2 weeks in advance and it fills up fast.

      Another option I looked at is the local park district facilities.
      The Wicker Park facility, unfortunately, does not have meeting
      rooms. Nearby Pulaski Park does have meeting rooms, but I think it
      is several blocks from an el station, right?

      Mainly I was looking into this as a way of getting more creative
      about our options. Maybe there are other public facilities or even
      private ones that I haven't even thought about. Could something be
      arranged with a local non-profit, for example? I don't live in the
      area, so I don't know what may be available.

      Let's keep the ideas flowing at tonight's meeting and in this
      message board.

      As for folks at Alliance giving us looks...hey, if they want to sit
      in a quiet space to work, they can do so at the above mentioned
      library branch (which also has free wireless)!
    • J Henderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2008
        We could always see about reserving the backroom area of Cafe Deluca. I know in the evenings right now the kitchen closes, so no pizza, but they do have baked goods, coffee and booze, plus there's a small parking lot in back.
        Jamie

        To: snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2008
          Hmmmmm....is there a cost associated with this? I think we're
          looking for free space. We "pay" for it through buying stuff from
          their menu. Can you look into this, Jamie?

          Linda

          --- In snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com, J Henderson
          <jhendersondesigns@...> wrote:

          > We could always see about reserving the backroom area of Cafe
          Deluca. I know in the evenings right now the kitchen closes, so no
          pizza, but they do have baked goods, coffee and booze, plus there's
          a small parking lot in back.
          > Jamie
          >
          > To: snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com
          > From: lnellett@...
          > Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:02:50 +0000
          > Subject: [snbwickerpark] The venue issue...

          > I wouldn't go so far as to say we're cursed or
          anything, but we are

          > having a difficult time finding a venue we can consistently meet
          at

          > that fits our criteria.
          >

          > As far as I can tell, those criteria are:
          >

          > * in the Wicker Park neighborhood
          >
          > * close to an el stop
          >
          > * open until 9 PM on Tuesdays
          >
          > * adequate seating for up to 20
          >
          > * decent lighting
          >
          > * beverages and snacks available (for purchase, or to bring in)
          >

          > I spent a few minutes today exploring what the city of Chicago may
          >
          > have to offer, and the news is mixed.
          >

          > There is a new branch library at 1701 N. Milwaukee (about a block
          >
          > north of the Damen Blue Line stop) that has meetings rooms that
          >
          > anyone can reserve. There are 2 meeting rooms: one that fits about
          >
          > 10 people and is set up boardroom style, and another that fits up
          >
          > 80 people. We could bring in our own (non-alcoholic) food and
          drinks

          > and clean up after ourselves. The problem is that we have to
          reserve

          > the space at least 2 weeks in advance and it fills up fast.
          >

          > Another option I looked at is the local park district facilities.
          >
          > The Wicker Park facility, unfortunately, does not have meeting
          >
          > rooms. Nearby Pulaski Park does have meeting rooms, but I think it
          >
          > is several blocks from an el station, right?
          >

          > Mainly I was looking into this as a way of getting more creative
          >
          > about our options. Maybe there are other public facilities or even
          >
          > private ones that I haven't even thought about. Could something be
          >
          > arranged with a local non-profit, for example? I don't live in the
          >
          > area, so I don't know what may be available.
          >

          > Let's keep the ideas flowing at tonight's meeting and in this
          >
          > message board.
          >

          > As for folks at Alliance giving us looks...hey, if they want to
          sit

          > in a quiet space to work, they can do so at the above mentioned
          >
          > library branch (which also has free wireless)!

          > Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge
          with star power.
          > http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?
          icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan