Re: [snbwickerpark] possible venue change

  • Shannon Danforth
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
      I am all for it!

      cabasaan <cabasaan@...> wrote:
      As per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out blend, a new cafe
      that just opened across from Alliance as a new venue. I talked to the
      manager, and they would be really delighted to host us.

      Advantages:
      *they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
      *the loft is really well lit
      *full menu with sandwiches and real food
      *the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
      *across the street from current venue

      Disadvantages
      *Venue change

      here is the metromix review:
      http://metromix. chicagotribune. com/dining/ 118375,0, 7443744.venue

      what do you all think?

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...

    • Stephanie Powell
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
        Sounds awesome to me; if I were knitting these days, that is!
        I'll be back soon, and in fact, this venue change could woo me!
        -stephanie

        >From: "cabasaan" <cabasaan@...>
        >To: snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [snbwickerpark] possible venue change
        >Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 19:18:53 -0000
        >
        >As per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out blend, a new cafe
        >that just opened across from Alliance as a new venue. I talked to the
        >manager, and they would be really delighted to host us.
        >
        >Advantages:
        >*they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
        >*the loft is really well lit
        >*full menu with sandwiches and real food
        >*the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
        >*across the street from current venue
        >
        >Disadvantages
        >*Venue change
        >
        >here is the metromix review:
        >http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/118375,0,7443744.venue
        >
        >what do you all think?

      • J Henderson
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
          I'm on board. Besides rumor has it that Alliance is for sell anyway, hence
          the little repairs projects here and there. No word on what kind of coffee
          they use, it's not mine.
          Jamie

          >From: "Megan L. Casey" <megreed@...>
          >To: snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [snbwickerpark] possible venue change
          >Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:33:09 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >I think it's great. I don't like Alliance at all.
          >
          >Megan
          >
          >cabasaan <cabasaan@...> wrote: As
          >per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out blend, a new cafe
          > that just opened across from Alliance as a new venue. I talked to the
          > manager, and they would be really delighted to host us.
          >
          > Advantages:
          > *they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
          > *the loft is really well lit
          > *full menu with sandwiches and real food
          > *the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
          > *across the street from current venue
          >
          > Disadvantages
          > *Venue change
          >
          > here is the metromix review:
          > http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/118375,0,7443744.venue
          >
          > what do you all think?

          Find what you need at prices you�ll love. Compare products and save at MSN�
          Shopping.
          http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701
        • Sarah Morton
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
            I think it's a great idea. The best thing about Alliance is the location. Other aspects such as cramped seating, bad music, indifferent baristas and shushing students are not so great.
            -Sarah
            p.s. Graduation date: May 12th. See you all again soon!

            --
            Sarah Morton

            Research Assistant
            UIC Neighborhoods Initiative
            Great Cities Institute
            College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs
            University of Illinois at Chicago
          • shannon haase
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
              Works for me. I actually noticed this place last week
              (I parked right next door). It looks/sounds cool.
              --- cabasaan <cabasaan@...> wrote:

              > As per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out
              > blend, a new cafe
              > that just opened across from Alliance as a new
              > venue. I talked to the
              > manager, and they would be really delighted to host
              > us.
              >
              > Advantages:
              > *they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
              > *the loft is really well lit
              > *full menu with sandwiches and real food
              > *the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
              > *across the street from current venue
              >
              > Disadvantages
              > *Venue change
              >
              > here is the metromix review:

              http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/118375,0,7443744.venue

              > what do you all think?

            • lnellett
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                Yet another vote for YES! I say update the group message, etc. and
                let's go for it.

                Linda N.

                --- In snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com, "cabasaan" <cabasaan@...>
                wrote:

                > As per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out blend, a new cafe
                > that just opened across from Alliance as a new venue. I talked to
                the
                > manager, and they would be really delighted to host us.
                >
                > Advantages:
                > *they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
                > *the loft is really well lit
                > *full menu with sandwiches and real food
                > *the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
                > *across the street from current venue
                >
                > Disadvantages
                > *Venue change
                >
                > here is the metromix review:
                > http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/118375,0,7443744.venue
                >
                > what do you all think?

              • Megan L. Casey
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                  Ok, I've had a couple cocktails so I'm feeling pretty catty - I mean chatty.
                  Wow! You're all so nice regarding Alliance. I'm absolutely amazed that it's still in business.
                  I love a good local, non-chain joint, but it's a dive. A dive is great if the lights are dim and the booze is good, but it's not not what I like in a coffee shop/bakery.

                  I  know I don't get out too often, but I'm ready to move on!

                  Ok, I've settled down now.

                  Meg

                  --- cabasaan <cabasaan@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  > As per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out
                  > blend, a new cafe
                  > that just opened across from Alliance as a new
                  > venue. I talked to the
                  > manager, and they would be really delighted to host
                  > us.
                  >
                  > Advantages:
                  > *they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
                  > *the loft is really well lit
                  > *full menu with sandwiches and real food
                  > *the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
                  > *across the street from current venue
                  >
                  > Disadvantages
                  > *Venue change
                  >
                  > here is the metromix review:

                  http://metromix. chicagotribune. com/dining/ 118375,0, 7443744.venue

                  > what do you all think?

                • J Henderson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
                    Megan, you know how drinking and knitting don't mix, neither do drinking and
                    e-mailing, but that was cute. Hey all, I'm actually at Blend right now and
                    it is very cute, but also very new. According the family (yea for family run
                    businesses!) I talked to they are thinking about hiring a chef who is
                    interested in baking everything from scratch and I recommended biscotti,
                    because it goes with coffee right? This place is huge and I haven't looked
                    at the second floor, this will be agreat venue change. While the menu is
                    very limited right now it definately looks like they will be expanding it.
                    Yea for Anne and her suggestion.
                    Jamie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 12, 2007
                      FYI-Blend only takes cash right now, they don't have the credit card machine
                      yet. Also, I know I like to spin but this woman is my hero, she spun and
                      knitted a sweater from her cats hair.

                      http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=f186490c-8235-4854-95e1-26887d06913b&p=Source_Countdown&t=c1149&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17519758/&fg=

                      simple tips.
                      http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline
                    • a_joyner69
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 12, 2007
                        --- In snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com, "cabasaan" <cabasaan@...> wrote:

                        > As per Anne's suggestion, I have just checked out blend, a new cafe
                        > that just opened across from Alliance as a new venue. I talked to the
                        > manager, and they would be really delighted to host us.
                        >
                        > Advantages:
                        > *they have a huge loft upstairs with tons of seating
                        > *the loft is really well lit
                        > *full menu with sandwiches and real food
                        > *the owner/manager is a male model (hot!!!)
                        > *across the street from current venue
                        >
                        > Disadvantages
                        > *Venue change
                        >
                        > here is the metromix review:
                        > http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/118375,0,7443744.venue
                        >
                        > what do you all think?

                        count me in! let me know if we switch spots tomorrow!