SNB Evanston-Globe Cafe, 6/4/2011, 3:00 pm

  • snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
      Reminder from: snbevanston Yahoo! Group

      Title: SNB Evanston-Globe Cafe

      Date: Saturday June 4, 2011
      Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
      Repeats: This event repeats every week.
      Location: Globe Cafe, 1710 Orrington Ave.
      Notes: Come join us for some knitting fun!

    • melissa slotar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
        my only Saturday I have free to see you girls this month I'll be there this week.

        melissa

        From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
        To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:55:32 +0000
        Subject: [snbevanston] SNB Evanston-Globe Cafe, 6/4/2011, 3:00 pm

        Date: Saturday June 4, 2011
        Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
        Repeats: This event repeats every week.
        Location: Globe Cafe, 1710 Orrington Ave.
        Notes: Come join us for some knitting fun!

      • Beth Liebman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011

           Unfortunately I won't be there this week.  I have theater tickets.  I won't be there the next week either...too much going on.  I am going to the meet-up knitting group in skokie  on Sunday.  I hope I'll see some of you there.
          Beth

          From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
          To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:55:32 +0000

          Date: Saturday June 4, 2011
          Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
          Repeats: This event repeats every week.
          Location: Globe Cafe, 1710 Orrington Ave.
          Notes: Come join us for some knitting fun!

        • Lynn Svoboda
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
            Could you please tell me about the group that meets on Sunday. I haven't heard anything about it.
            Thank you,
            Lynn

            From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
            To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:55:32 +0000

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011

              Sunday, June 5, 2011

              1:00 PM

              Selected By: Melissa Dessent

              Curragh Irish Pub

              8266 Lincoln Ave Skokie, IL

              Selected By: Melissa Dessent

              This is a regular meeting of the Stitchcraft Meet Up Group. They have always made me feel welcome.

              To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
              From: mountaintopcontentment@...
              Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 18:27:05 -0700

              From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
              To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:55:32 +0000

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2011
                http://
                .snt136.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0http://sn136w.snt136.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

                This is the link to a listing of mini-workshops that Cathy Montoya is offering this summer for $10 each.  I'm thinking of taking them and wonder if anyone else from the Evanston SnB is interested.  It could be fun to be there with friends.

                Hi all,

                Brush up on your knitting technique this summer. I'm offering a series of classes in the techniques I get asked the most about. Sign up for one or all eight. See the listing below and pick the ones you need. Classes run from 6 to 7 p.m., starting on June 8. Call in to reserve your spots today.

                Summer 2011 Mini-Classes

                The following are one hour technique classes offered on Wednesdays at 6:00. The cost for each class is $10. You can sign up for one or as many as you want. Please register at least 3 days before a class. No refunds or make-ups will be made for missed or cancelled classes. The store will be open from 5:00 to 8:00 on class day, so if you want to stay and knit after class, please feel free. You will need to bring your own yarn and needles, or you can purchase supplies. Some of the classes require some swatches knit in advance.

                June 8 - Fixing Mistakes

                Learn to rip out rows and put the stitches back on the needle, pick up dropped stitches, fix wrong stitches in previous rows. Bring a 4 x 4 swatch knit in stockinet stitch still on the needles, a crochet hook sized for the same yarn.

                June 15 - Sewing Seams

                Learn to sew seams using a invisible mattress stitch worked on the outside of the fabric. Bring two 4 x 4 swatches or sweater pieces ready to put together, a tapestry needle, and a tape measure.

                June 22 - Picking up Stitches

                Learn how to pick up stitches for perfect bands and collars. Bring a swatch about 4 inches wide that begins with a couple inches of ribbing or garter stitch, then changes to stockinet stitch for a few more inches. Bind it off and bring extra yarn and your needles.

                June 29 - 3-Needle Bind Off and Grafting

                Three needle bind off is a great technique for connecting shoulder seams, while grafting stitches together leaves no visible seam. Bring 2 separate swatches, about 20 stitches wide by 2 inches deep, each piece still on a needle. Bring a third needle for binding off, plus a tapestry needle for grafting.

                July 20 - Knitting Cables from a Chart

                Learn to knit cables by reading the symbols from a chart. Many patterns are now written in charts. Bring knitting needles, yarn, and a cable hook.

                July 27 - Knitting Lace from a Chart

                Learn to knit lace by reading the symbols from a chart. Bring knitting needles and yarn.

                August 3 - Two Color Fair Isle Knitting from a Chart

                Fair Isle colorwork strands two colors of yarn across a row. Learn how to control the yarn using both colors in one hand, or one color in each hand. Bring 2 contrasting colors of the same yarn plus knitting needles.

                August 10 - Two Color Intarsia Knitting

                With intarsia, the yarn is kept separately on balls or bobbins, and is worked one color at a time in blocks. Most picture knitting is done this way. Bring 2 contrasting colors of the same yarn plus knitting needles.

                .
                Mark your calender for July 6. We're going to try to get together for a knitting evening during the Farmer's Market in Independence Park. Bring a lawn chair, blanket, and your knitting. You could even bring a picnic basket and dine al fresco. I will have supplies available for new knitters to learn the basic stitches. So if you know someone who's been wanting to take up knitting, tell them to come and join us. The store will be open from 4 til 8 if you need a new project. And don't forget
                the Central Street Sidewalk Sale starts on Thursday, July 14. I'll send reminders as these special events get closer.

                Montoya Fiber Studio Info

                Beth

                From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
                To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:55:32 +0000

                Date: Saturday June 4, 2011
                Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
                Repeats: This event repeats every week.
                Location: Globe Cafe, 1710 Orrington Ave.
                Notes: Come join us for some knitting fun!

              • Michelle
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2011

                  There’s a new yarn store in Andersonville called SIFU ( which means something in Chinese having to do with energy, not Stitches Incredibly Fouled Up).  It’s on the5000  block of Clark street, west side of the street between Winnemac and Carmen (Carmen us the second street south of Foster, Winnemac the 3rd)

                  It’s been open about 4 months. She carries a mix of yarns at pretty reasonable prices. E.g., Cascade 220 at $6.95, Malabrigo sock yarn $18.95 and Lily Sugar and Cream cotton yarn at $2.50.

                  Hours are VERY reasonable, too. Open until 7  several night a week, open on Saturday and Sunday.   She has a Friday night SciFiber event where folks knit and watch science fiction movies on DVD.

                  The owner, Lisa is an interesting woman with a lot of tattoos. ;)

                  Check it out!

                  Michelle

                • Claudia A Perry
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2011
                    Re: SNB Evanston-Globe Cafe, 6/4/2011, 3:00 pm

                    Alas, I will not be there this week or the next two after that. I told a woman in the Chicago afternoon meetup about us so she may come. Im going to Lit Fest and am planning to teach a little knitting at Saugatuck Coffee in Lakeview on Saturday.

                    Claudia Perry

                    (201) 344-9059 (cell)

                    (847) 563-8587 (land)

                  • Vanessa Schneider
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2011
                      These sound like fun.  I'll check my calendar and see if I am able to attend any.

                      To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com

                      From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
                      To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:55:32 +0000

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2011
                        I think I'll make it tomorrow.  As usual, the summer is busy but I miss seeing everyone.

                        To: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bethliebman@...
                        Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 01:00:12 +0000

                        From: snbevanston@yahoogroups.com