[rha-nyc] ***SAT 9/29: PARADE WITHOUT A PERMIT***

  • Thomas Crescenzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH @ 7PM
      WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK @ THE FOUNTAIN

      Queers, Allies and Anyone affected by the NYPD's anti-assembly rules:
      Join
      us in the streets as we challenge these rules!

      We're going to assemble in City Council Speaker Christine Quinn's
      district
      to PARADE WITHOUT A PERMIT! We're going to deliver a big FUCK YOU to
      Speaker Quinn-after all, she's quashed some of the very civil rights
      that
      made it possible for her, an out lesbian, to hold political office.

      Bring noisemakers, signs and your dancing bodies out to reclaim OUR
      streets!

      Why target Speaker Christine Quinn?

      In 2006, multiple courts ruled the City's assembly rules
      unconstitutional,
      and City Council was charged with fixing them. Instead of conducting
      public hearings and placing the matter into the hands of City Council,
      Speaker Quinn abdicated her responsibilities and allowed the NYPD to
      write
      these rules behind closed doors.

      In February 2007, she rubberstamped the new rules into effect.
      Suddenly,
      it became illegal for 50 or more people to gather and process through
      New
      York City-unless they request and are given prior permission from the
      police.

      Of course, the NYPD has a long history of attacking political groups,
      and
      one of their favorite tools is to deny permit requests of groups-like
      the
      organizers of the 2007 Trans Day of Action-who they don't like.

      Why do police decide who can assemble and who cannot? And since when
      do
      the police write rules? And why is all of this okay with Quinn?

      Quinn so desperately wants to be mayor that she has sold the queer
      community and her constituents down the historical river for her own
      political gain. We'll remind Quinn that she has her pot of gold, but
      she
      better not forgot the rainbow that led her to it!

      The Stonewall veterans never asked for a permit, and neither will we!

      ***Shout Out for a Pink and Black Block***
      Anyone who wants to participate, show your colors, jump in and dance
      the beats of the Anti-Authoritarians, a queer drum corp.

      ***(Pouring) Rain Date: Saturday, October 6th @ 7pm***

      We're the Radical Homosexual Agenda, a contingent of the NYC queer
      community who believes that our rights extend way beyond marriage.

      www.RadicalHomosexualAgenda.org
      wewantyou@...