Re: [smygo] Islamofascism Awareness Week on campuses around the US in October

  • Omar Pie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      Also the meaning of submission to God (Islam)
      and fascism do not make sense as far the true
      meaning of the two world are concern.
      Peace will be upon you.
      -Omar

      Thomas Crescenzi <gaychevara@...> wrote:
      I really dislike the term "Islamofascism" because it is inaccurate and I associate it with people like Rick Santorum who are real fascists. The Islamists want a theocracy not a centralized republic with a charismatic leader as dictator that promotes nationalism and conspires with big business to steer the destiny of the nation and suppress opposition and minority factions. That actually describes people like Santorum, Kristol, and Rove who promote the term "Islamofascism." It is just a smoke-screen to divert attention from their own fascist agenda.

      Yaman Salahi <ysalahi@...> wrote: Hi all,

      I received this e-mail today about Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week, to be put
      on in coordination with the David Horowitz Freedom Center in October this
      year. As a student activist at Berkeley, I had a few thoughts to add on
      this:

      * We should not over-estimate the effect or importance of this "awareness"
      week, though we should not totally ignore it. First, I think it's obvious
      that this is a publicity stunt, not anything with intellectual or academic
      value about raising "awareness." By responding too dramatically, activists
      might unwittingly give it the publicity that it's looking for.

      * We should recognize that as it has little of substance to offer, its
      function is to intimidate Muslims, Arabs, and social justice activists on
      campuses around the country, as well as academics and others at the
      Universities.

      * We should recognize that this will not be as effective as they make it
      sound. Though it's planned for over 100 universities, there is no way that
      the agenda is the same at all of these places, insofar as speakers are
      concerned. I think a handful of universities will probably receive the more
      controversial speakers, while others will settle for film screenings and
      other mediocre events.

      * We should start brainstorming now regarding various ways of responding to
      this event. The guide doesn't offer much, though one suggestion it offers is
      for students to circulate denouncing "Islamo-Fascist violence against women,
      gays, Christians, Jews, and non-religious people." Given that campus
      republican groups in general have frequently come out in opposition to
      women, gays, non-religious people, as well as leftist religious folk and
      virtuall all Muslims, it is very easy to one-up them on this one. We could
      easily put these people in a position where they are asked to support all of
      these groups on domestic fronts, where they really can make a difference,
      rather than to speak about them vaguely in parts of the world where
      University Republicans have no weight. It would be hard for them to explain
      why they can't exactly support gays, women, and non-religious people in the
      US, but why they love them when they come from the Middle East, without
      looking like even bigger idiots.

      Just my two cents. I'd like to hear what others think about possible

      --yaman

      ====
      Here's the website:
      http://www.terrorismawareness.org/islamo-fascism/49/a-students-guide-to-hosting-islamo-fascism-awareness-week/

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        Everybody, when you respond to posts, please trim them appropriately --
        don't quote the entire text like this.

        http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/1587154838/ref=nosim/thedanclorenecro
        Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
        http://www.geocities.com/clorebeast/