Small criminals get arrested. Big criminals get elected. Bigger criminals pardon their accomplices.

  • John Perna
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2007
      Small criminals get arrested. Big criminals get elected. Bigger criminals pardon their accomplices.
      A REALLY BIG criminal can get a Presidential pardon. A border patrol agent who was doing his job will have no such luck.

      Here is something that could happen legally:
      Bush will pardons Cheney.
      Bush steps down from the presidency.
      Cheney becomes the President and then Cheney pardons Bush.

      Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hard-working, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that gets all the publicity. But then - we elected them.
      -Lily Tomlin

      Don't you wonder if Scooter Libby is thinking: "dude, where's my hush money?"
      The recent case of Mr. Bush's commuting Libby's sentence is just the latest example demonstrating the scandalous absence of any kind of moral compass in this administration. Impeachment proceedings for Bush and Cheney are LONG OVERDUE!
      PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19570081/
      MSNBC.com HideAdFrame('StoryToolbarSponsorship');ChangeSponsorAdTitle();

      ---------------------------------
      Bush spares Libby from prison term
      President leaves fine, probation intact for convicted ex-White House aide
      The Associated Press
      Updated: 8:39 p.m. ET July 2, 2007

      function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' & n & window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633190199404800000');
      WASHINGTON - President Bush spared former White House aide I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby from a 2½-year prison term in the CIA leak investigation Monday, delivering a political thunderbolt in the highly charged criminal case. Bush said the sentence was just too harsh.
      Bush’s move came just five hours after a federal appeals panel ruled that Libby could not delay his prison term. That meant Libby was likely to have to report soon, and it put new pressure on the president, who had been sidestepping calls by Libby’s allies to pardon Vice President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff.
      “I respect the jury’s verdict,” Bush said in a statement. “But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive. Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby’s sentence that required him to spend thirty months in prison.”
      Bush’s decision enraged Democrats and cheered conservatives — though some of the latter wished Bush had granted a full pardon.
      “Libby’s conviction was the one faint glimmer of accountability for White House efforts to manipulate intelligence and silence critics of the Iraq war,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. “Now, even that small bit of justice has been undone.”
      House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Bush’s decision showed the president “condones criminal conduct.”
      Unlike a pardon, which would have wiped away Libby’s criminal record, Bush’s commutation voided only the prison term.
      The president left intact a $250,000 fine and two years probation for his conviction of lying and obstructing justice in a probe into the leak of a CIA operative’s identity. The former operative, Valerie Plame, contends the White House was trying to discredit her husband, a critic of Bush’s Iraq policy.
      Bush said his action still “leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby.”
      Libby was convicted in March, the highest-ranking White House official ordered to prison since the Iran-Contra affair.
      Testimony in the case had revealed the extraordinary steps that Bush and Cheney were willing to take to discredit a critic of the Iraq war.
      Reputation 'forever damaged'
      Libby’s supporters celebrated the president’s decision.
      “President Bush did the right thing today in commuting the prison term for Scooter Libby,” said House Republican Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri.
      “That’s fantastic. It’s a great relief,” said former Ambassador Richard Carlson, who helped raise millions for Libby’s defense fund. “Scooter Libby did not deserve to go to prison and I’m glad the president had the courage to do this.”
      Already at record lows in the polls, Bush risked a political backlash with his decision. President Ford tumbled in the polls after his 1974 pardon of Richard M. Nixon, and the decision was a factor in Ford’s loss in his bid for re-election.
      White House officials said Bush knew he could take political heat and simply did what he thought was right. They would not say what advice Cheney might have given the president.
      On the other hand, Bush’s action could help Republican presidential candidates by letting them off the hook on the question of whether they would pardon Libby.
      A message seeking comment from Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald’s office was not immediately returned.
      Bush said Cheney’s former aide was not getting off free.
      “The reputation he gained through his years of public service and professional work in the legal community is forever damaged,” Bush said. “His wife and young children have also suffered immensely. He will remain on probation. The significant fines imposed by the judge will remain in effect. The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant and private citizen will be long-lasting.”
      A spokeswoman for Cheney said simply, “The vice president supports the president’s decision.”
      No 'pardon' mention
      The White House said Bush came to his decision in the past week or two and made it final Monday because of the ruling of the appeals panel, which meant Libby would be going to prison soon.
      The president’s announcement came just as prison seemed likely for Libby. He recently lost an appeals court fight that was his best chance to put the sentence on hold, and the U.S. Bureau of Prisons had already designated him inmate No. 28301-016.
      Bush’s statement made no mention of the term “pardon,” and he made clear that he was not willing to wipe away all penalties for Libby.
      The president noted Libby supporters’ argument that the punishment did not fit the crime for a “first-time offender with years of exceptional public service.”
      Yet, he added: “Others point out that a jury of citizens weighed all the evidence and listened to all the testimony and found Mr. Libby guilty of perjury and obstructing justice. They argue, correctly, that our entire system of justice relies on people telling the truth. And if a person does not tell the truth, particularly if he serves in government and holds the public trust, he must be held accountable.”
      Bush then stripped away the prison time.
      'I'm happy'
      The leak case has hung over the White House for years.
      After CIA operative Valerie Plame’s name appeared in a 2003 syndicated newspaper column, Special Prosecutor Fitzgerald questioned top administration officials, including Bush and Cheney, about their possible roles.
      Nobody was ever charged with the leak, including Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage or White House political adviser Karl Rove, who provided the information for the original article. Prosecutors said Libby obstructed the investigation by lying about how he learned about Plame and whom he told.
      Plame believes Libby and other White House officials conspired to leak her identity to reporters in 2003 as retribution against her husband, Joseph Wilson, who criticized what he said was the administration’s misleading use of prewar intelligence on Iraq.
      Attorney William Jeffress said he had spoken to Libby briefly by phone and “I’m happy at least that Scooter will be spared any prison time. ... The prison sentence was imminent, but obviously the conviction itself is a heavy blow to Scooter.”
      A White House official notified the trial judge, U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton, of the decision. Walton, a Bush appointee who served in the White House under the president’s father, had cited the “overwhelming” evidence against Libby when he handed down his sentence. A courthouse spokesman said Walton would not comment.
      © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
      var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
      ');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}} URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19570081/

      Press release from
      Congressman Duncan Hunter
      U.S. House of Representatives
      Washington D.C. 20515
      http://www.house.gov/hunter/
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 2, 2007 CONTACT: Joe Kasper (202) 225-5672
      HUNTER TO PRESIDENT: “PARDON OUR BORDER PATROLMEN” Washington, D.C. – Tonight, U.S. Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) made the following statement regarding President Bush’s decision to commute the prison sentence of former aide Lewis “Scooter” Libby, while refusing to grant a pardon to convicted Border Patrol agents Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos:
      “If the President of the United States is going to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby, he should immediately accompany that with a pardon for Border Patrol agents Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos. Agents Compean and Ramos have been sentenced to 11 and 12 years in federal prison, respectively, for wounding a drug smuggler who was bringing 750 pounds of drugs across the border from Mexico.
      “If Scooter Libby is going to receive this treatment, and there very well could be a compelling reason for the President’s actions, agents Compean and Ramos should then be provided a full pardon.
      “Mr. President, pardon our Border Patrolmen.”
      NOTE: Congressman Hunter introduced legislation, H.R. 563, to pardon agents Compean and Ramos. H.R. 563 presently has 100 cosponsors.

      # # # #
      RAMOS AND COMPEAN SONG
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT76uFU5iww
      * * *
      TELEPHONE PROTEST

      MAKE NOISE!

      Meanwhile, our two wrongly accused, American heroes Agents Ramos and Compean remain in federal prison.

      EVERYBODY call and email Bush! Article at the end of this email.

      El Presidente Jorge Boosh thinks he can continue to oppress the American people and hold innocent AMERICAN law enforcement officers to make examples out of them. Now the brave BP agents on the border are afraid to shoot when they are being rocked and shot at. Please take a moment out of your busy day to let our dictator know how that makes you feel. Any political correctness is strongly discouraged! Show him the same respect he is showing the American people, i.e. ZERO!

      PRESIDENT BUSH TELEPHONE
      202-456-1111
      202-456-1414

      EMAIL
      comments@whitehouse .gov
      president@whitehous e.gov

      Then call your Congressmen and do the same
      Find your congress member here:
      http://www.house.gov/
      Toll free switchboard 866.340.9281
      * * *

      FREE RAMOS & COMPEAN!!!

      We must contact the President with all we've got, to free Ramos and Compean. We need to flood the Whitehouse 'comments' lines! We need to overwhelm the e-mail system. We need to fax and write until their machinery melts!

      Also, we need to contact our Congressional Representatives. Call your Representatives. Call ans e-mail as many pivotal Congressmen and women as possible! DEMAND THE FREEDOM OF OUR BORDER AGENTS. We should make this as big a deal as the Senate immigration SHAMNESTY.
      Bush spares Libby from 2 1/2-year prison term
      President leaves fine, probation intact for convicted ex-White House aide

      * * *
      Sample email that one of our ralliers sent to Bush:

      Dear Pres. Bush:

      You were very swift in reacting to the I. Lewis (Scooter) Libby situation once the court acted today. While you commuted Mr. Libby's sentence, I would ask that you act just as speedily to EXONERATE the two U.S. Border Patrol agents, Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, who have been imprisoned since January 17th of this year. It is a travesty that these two USBP agents, who were doing their jobs, are sitting in prison while the drug smuggler, Osbaldo Davila, is walking around a free man, having been given immunity to testify against our agents. This illegal alien smuggler received medical treatment at taxpayer expense, and our government will undoubtedly settle a $5 million lawsuit with taxpayer dollars, He is laughing all the way to the bank. He intended to unload over 700 pounds of drugs on our society, yet he is no imprisoned. Something is wrong with this picture.

      Please release Agents Ramos and Compean from prison.
      Signed

      AGENT RAMOS WEBSITE

      http://www.agentramos.blogspot.com/

      Scooter and the Commuter By DAVID SWANSON
      George Mason (1725-1792), the father of the Bill of Rights (1791-2002), argued at the Constitutional Convention in favor of providing the House of Representatives the power of impeachment by pointing out that the President might use his pardoning power to "pardon crimes which were advised by himself" or, before indictment or conviction, "to stop inquiry and prevent detection."
      James Madison (1751-1836), the father of the U.S. Constitution (1788-2007), added that "if the President be connected, in any suspicious manner, with any person, and there be grounds to believe he will shelter him, the House of Representatives can impeach him; they can remove him if found guilty."
      Of course, Bush has long been connected in a suspicious manner to Dick Cheney, Scooter Libby, Karl Rove, and others. Madison would probably have called for Bush's impeachment when Bush first refused to investigate or hold anyone accountable for leaking Valerie Plame's identity, or rather when Bush lied us into the war in the first place, or when he confessed to illegal spying, or when he detained people without charge and tortured them, or when he overturned laws with signing statements or refused to comply with subpoenas, and so on and so forth. Madison wouldn't have wanted to see his Constitution tossed aside until the moment Bush commuted Libby's sentence. But he certainly would have acted now if not before.
      The trial of Scooter Libby produced overwhelming evidence that Vice President Cheney personally led the campaign to attack Joe Wilson through the media. This "get Wilson" campaign included telling numerous reporters that Wilson was sent to Niger by his wife Valerie Plame, a CIA operative. Cheney was told by the CIA that Plame worked as a covert agent in the CIA's Nonproliferation Division, which is the critical division of the CIA responsible for stopping the spread of nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons. Cheney's efforts to expose Plame actually exposed her entire covert network, at tremendous cost to the CIA's secret war against terrorism. If Plame's work had been exposed by a double-agent in our government like Aldrich Ames or Robert Hanssen, that person would face prosecution for espionage and treason. The evidence of Cheney's role is more than enough to start an impeachment investigation. And, of course, a hand-written note from Cheney, introduced as evidence
      in the trial, implicated the President.
      The Libby trial also exposed the lead role of Vice President Cheney's office in manipulating pre-war intelligence to defraud Congress into authorizing the invasion of Iraq. Sworn testimony revealed that Cheney's office managed the evidence of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, all of which proved to be lies. Cheney personally visited the CIA several times before the invasion to pressure the CIA to distort pre-war intelligence. And Cheney exerted "constant" pressure on the Republican former chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee to stall an investigation into the Bush administration's use of flawed intelligence on Iraq, according to the new chairman, Senator Jay Rockefeller.
      Libby's crime was obstructing an investigation that appeared to be headed for Cheney and possibly Bush. The proper course of action for Congress, in the face of Bush commuting Libby's sentence, is to begin impeachment hearings against Cheney and then Bush. With the White House openly disobeying a stack of subpoenas, it is finally clear that impeachment is the only possible check on Bush-Cheney power remaining to Congress. In fact, in the wake of Bush's Scooter commuting, the following people all released statements condemning Bush's action and recommending that Congress and the public do absolutely nothing about it: Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Barack Obama, and Bill Richardson. In contrast, Joe Biden recommended that the public phone the White House and complain. That ought to show them!
      Bush has just obstructed justice. His act of commuting Libby's sentence itself adds one more small item to the pile of impeachable offenses. Congressman Jesse L. Jackson, Jr. (D-IL), had the right reaction, releasing the following statement:
      "In her first weeks as leader of the Congress, Speaker Nancy Pelosi withdrew the notion of impeachment proceedings against either President Bush or Vice President Cheney [actually she did that 8 months earlier, and Jackson began parroting her line right away, but who's counting]. With the president's decision to once again subvert the legal process and the will of the American people by commuting the sentence of convicted felon Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, I call on House Democrats to reconsider impeachment proceedings. Lewis Libby was convicted of lying under oath to cover up the outing of active, undercover CIA agent, Valerie Plame. It is beyond unthinkable that the president would undermine the legal process to protect a man who engaged in treason against the United States government, threatening the security of the American people. In November's election, voters put Democrats in charge of Congress because they believed our pledge of oversight and accountability. Now it's
      time for us to honor that pledge. The Executive Branch should be held responsible for its illegalities. Our democratic system is grounded in the principle of checks and balances. When the Executive Branch disregards the will of the people, our lawmakers must not be silent. Today's actions, coupled with the president's unwillingness to comply with Senate and House inquiries, leave Democrats with no other option than to consider impeachment so that we can gather the information needed to achieve justice for all Americans."
      Very well said. It's tremendous to see Jackson come around. There's only one problem. Congressman Dennis Kucinich has introduced articles of impeachment against Cheney. Ten other Congress Members have signed on. And Jackson isn't one of them. Rep. Jackson and every other member of Congress needs to do one of three things now: Sign onto Kucinich's bill, H Res 333, www.impeachcheney.org , or introduce new articles of impeachment against Cheney or Bush, or crawl out of town in fear and eternal shame.
      Now, the articles that Kucinich has introduced focus on war, and some Congress Members, terrified as they might be to fight in a war, are equally terrified of NOT sending other people to kill and die. Now would be the moment to introduce new articles of impeachment against Cheney for his role in the retribution against Wilson, for illegal spying, for torture, and for refusing subpoenas. Or take your pick of the available menu of offenses and choose your three favorites: www.impeachcheney.org
      And now would be the time for Nancy Pelosi to announce that she could not possibly have meant that impeachment would stay off the table no matter what, that she meant it was not on the table at that time. Numerous crimes and abuses have come to light since that table clearing moment. Pelosi is in the clear. She can renew her oath to uphold the Constitution. Or she can go down in history as the appeaser of the new dictatorial U.S. regime, as the person who looked fascism in the face and said "That looks worth allowing to happen as long as we win in 2008," and whose party went down in bitter flames in 2008 because the American people still cared about their democracy.
      Now is the moment for members of the public to act. Go to your Congress Member's office. Sit down. Read the U.S. Constitution aloud. Do not leave until they take you to jail. Or come to Washington, D.C., and do the same thing--but do it in the office of Congressman John Conyers, who is in the position to save this Republic in a week, who has the knowledge and the skill to do it, and who has absolutely no constitutional duty to step and fetch or bow and scrape for Miss Nancy.