Another Sept. 11 Last Words by Salvador Allende (lest we forget)

  • berkman@riseup.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2006
      Last Words
      by Salvador Allende
      Surely, this will be the last opportunity for me to address you. The Air
      Force has bombed the antennas of Radio Magallanes. My words do not have
      bitterness but disappointment. May they be a moral punishment for those
      who have betrayed their oath: soldiers of Chile, titular commanders in
      chief, Admiral Merino, who has designated himself Commander of the Navy,
      and Mr. Mendoza, the despicable general who only yesterday pledged his
      fidelity and loyalty to the Government, and who also has appointed himself
      Chief of the Carabineros [paramilitary police]. Given these facts, the
      only thing left for me is to say to workers: I am not going to resign!

      Placed in a historic transition, I will pay for loyalty to the people with
      my life. And I say to them that I am certain that the seeds which we have
      planted in the good conscience of thousands and thousands of Chileans will
      not be shriveled forever. They have force and will be able to dominate
      us, but social processes can be arrested by neither crime nor force.
      History is ours, and people make history.

      Workers of my country: I want to thank you for the loyalty that you always
      had, the confidence that you deposited in a man who was only an
      interpreter of great yearnings for justice, who gave his word that he
      would respect the Constitution and the law and did just that. At this
      definitive moment, the last moment when I can address you, I wish you to
      take advantage of the lesson: foreign capital, imperialism, together with
      the reaction, created the climate in which the Armed Forces broke their
      tradition, the tradition taught by General Schneider and reaffirmed by
      Commander Araya, victims of the same social sector who today are hoping,
      with foreign assistance, to re-conquer the power to continue defending
      their profits and their privileges.

      I address you, above all, the modest woman of our land, the farmer who
      believed in us, the mother who knew our concern for children. I address
      professionals of Chile, patriotic professionals who continued working
      against the sedition that was supported by professional associations,
      classist associations that also defended the advantages of capitalist
      society.

      I address the youth, those who sang and gave us their joy and their spirit
      of struggle. I address the man of Chile, the worker, the farmer, the
      intellectual, those who will be persecuted, because in our country fascism
      has been already present for many hours -- in terrorist attacks, blowing
      up the bridges, cutting the railroad tracks, destroying the oil and gas
      pipelines, in the face of the silence of those who had the obligation to
      act.

      They were committed. History will judge them.

      Surely, Radio Magallanes will be silenced, and the calm metal instrument
      of my voice will no longer reach you. It does not matter. You will
      continue hearing it. I will always be next to you. At least my memory
      will be that of a man of dignity who was loyal to his country.

      The people must defend themselves, but they must not sacrifice themselves.
      The people must not let themselves be destroyed or riddled with bullets,
      but they cannot be humiliated either.

      Workers of my country, I have faith in Chile and its destiny. Other men
      will overcome this dark and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail.
      Keep in mind that, much sooner than later, great avenues will again be
      opened, through which will pass the free man, to construct a better
      society.

      Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!

      These are my last words, and I am certain that my sacrifice will not be in
      vain, I am certain that, at the very least, it will be a moral lesson that
      will punish felony, cowardice, and treason.

      Santiago de Chile,