New New Left Responses

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2000
      New New Left

      Published Sunday, May 28, 2000

      Sunday letters from readers

      [....]

      The New New Left

      Bob von Sternberg's recent attempt to
      describe the New Left was not worth the
      cost of the newsprint (Star Tribune, May
      21). He decided to highlight the fringes
      of this movement, people who rationalize
      destruction of property or oppose all
      hierarchy and structure. I could similarly
      interview Charlton Heston and Jerry
      Falwell and declare them representatives
      of the Republican Party, but no editor
      worth her salt would mistake that kind of
      distortion for journalism.

      The organizing that motivated the Seattle
      and Washington protests are part of growing
      American sentiment against the inequality
      produced by our economic prosperity. People
      finally step outside their shell to retake
      their seat at the table of democracy, and
      the best the press can offer is "anarchists."
      I am sincerely disappointed.

      -- John Farrell, Northfield, Minn.

      I want to compliment you on the article of
      May 21 by Bob von Sternberg on the ''New
      New Left." The term anarchy has been tossed
      around so much since Seattle; your article
      allowed it to be the complex, interesting,
      thought-provoking thing that it is, and the
      sidebar with additional background was really
      helpful. Also, the alliance between labor
      and the left was explained and given
      credibility.

      -- Chrissie Mahaffy, Minneapolis.

      [....]