Anarchism, Eugene Style, and the Struggle for Liberation

  • Clore Daniel C
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2000
      News for Anarchists & Activists:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/smygo

      Editorial

      The OTHER Paper

      Anarchism, Eugene Style, and the Struggle for Liberation

      The re-enactment of the Carnival Against Capitalism June
      18th by our friends and neighbors in the anarchist community
      is a welcome and necessary antidote to the complacency of
      the large number of politically aware and formerly active
      radicals in our community.

      Is complacency truly rampant? We have editorialized
      frequently that despite considerable efforts to resist the
      degradation of our lives and our environment, by nearly any
      measure, we are living in a time when the degradation
      continues steadily and apparently unabated. Use of toxics is
      up steadily despite a strong right-to-know initiative. Land
      clearing, wetlands filling, paving, development, and perhaps
      sand and gravel mining expand despite urban growth
      boundaries and land-use processes. This pattern, which can
      be fairly called ecocide, continues despite hundreds of
      meetings, thousands of letters, and dozens of protests.
      Consider that one of few areas where there has been a
      demonstrated slowing of the destruction is in our old growth
      forests where the tactics are “direct action” and there are
      anarchists and radical environmentalists blocking roads and
      camping in trees. People of sincere commitment must give
      serious consideration to the idea that “direct action, in
      the form of economic sabotage and urban insurrection” may be
      a necessary component of a process of real social change.

      Much has been written recently about the widening gap
      between rich and poor in the United States and around the
      world. Income for the bottom two thirds of the population is
      stagnant or declining, while the top third is either doing
      OK or, at the very top, enjoying a huge prosperity. Thus, it
      may be that the divisions in our community fall along these
      fault lines. Our anarchists are largely in the lower
      echelons, and a radical analysis and organizing for
      resistance make perfect sense. Meanwhile, the complacent
      former activists are largely mid-career technicians and
      professionals and are mostly doing OK and starting to think
      about retirement. And, of course, Jim Torrey and his more
      influential buddies are rolling in the dough and hoping to
      keep the party going strong.

      This is roughly the situation that prevailed during the
      1920’s, which of course preceded the great depression,
      perhaps the most revolutionary time in American history. A
      similar turn of events today could ignite serious resistance
      to the global capitalist system and perhaps spark new
      important changes.

      And so, the issues the anarchists raise are very important:
      to stop the ecocide and restore the earth, and to rebuild
      society for greater freedom and autonomy. These issues are
      not anarchist issues alone. They have been to goals for
      social visionaries for hundreds of years in one form or
      another. For example, this paper (the OTHER paper) proclaims
      its purpose in very similar terms, declaring its support for
      “a much more equal distribution of wealth and political
      power, a much greater liberty of individuals to grow and
      develop as they choose, and a community prospering in a
      sustainable way of life, in harmony with the natural world.”

      The key is to create a vision of the positive things our
      lives and our society could be like, to develop a believable
      strategy of how to get from here to there, and, of course,
      make it happen. To their credit, anarchists historically
      have created appealing visionary ideas about liberation and
      utopian social ideals. They have not been especially good at
      organization and strategies that have actually overcome
      strong opposition, however. And unfortunately, most modern
      examples of revolutionary change seem to show that large
      scale violence and social collapse are often part of the
      process. One interesting alternative might be found in the
      “people power” uprising that removed the Marcos’ from the
      Philippines. However, that uprising just changed leadership,
      not a capitalist social and economic system.

      Looking past the angers and injustices of the present
      moment, it seems clear that a well developed program for a
      positive transformation of our community could gain great
      support if it was likely to succeed, would genuinely address
      serious environmental and economic problems, and could be
      successfully put in place.

      The Website of Lord Weÿrdgliffe:
      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/index.html
      The Dan Clore Necronomicon Page:
      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/necpage.htm

      "Tho-ag in Zhi-gyu slept seven Khorlo. Zodmanas
      zhiba. All Nyug bosom. Konch-hog not; Thyan-Kam
      not; Lha-Chohan not; Tenbrel Chugnyi not;
      Dharmakaya ceased; Tgenchang not become; Barnang
      and Ssa in Ngovonyidj; alone Tho-og Yinsin in
      night of Sun-chan and Yong-grub (Parinishpanna),
      -- The Book of Dzyan.