Chicago Paper Ignores Parallels Between Mayors To Go After Anarchists

  • Clore Daniel C
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2000
      News for Anarchists & Activists:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/smygo

      Letter to the Editor

      The OTHER Paper

      Chicago Paper Ignores Parallels Between Mayors to Go After
      “ANARCHISTS”

      Rebuttal to an Aug. 11 article in the Chicago Tribune about
      “anarchists” in Eugene:

      I write not so much to set the record straight, but to
      remind readers to always question what they read or hear.
      Sometimes they get a fair picture of reality. Too often it’s
      the prejudices of the writer and/or publisher.

      What Flynn McRoberts wrote about anarchists was based on
      opinions of the Eugene mayor, Jim Torrey. That was the
      equivalent of accepting the views of the original Chicago
      Mayor Daley about who was responsible for disruptions at the
      1968 Democratic convention in Chicago. I was there in
      Chicago to compare Daley’s words with reality. I’ve been in
      Eugene where I’ve been able to do the same with the
      propaganda of Torrey.

      The comparison is apt when recognizing the way the two
      mayors, three decades apart, resorted to demagoguery in
      using police powers. Daley, maybe the last of the
      dictatorial big city mayors, sent his police into violent
      attack against anti-war demonstrators on Michigan Av. and in
      Grand Park during the convention. Torrey’s use of police
      intimidation was not on such a massive scale. In June 1999,
      he gave his blessings to use of pepper spray by Eugene
      police on demonstrators trying to prevent controversial
      cutting of old trees.

      The Tribune article misled by suggesting Eugene, “the home
      of ancient forests, has grown a movement that disrupts.” The
      disruption in question was at the World Trade Organization
      conference in Seattle last fall. What the rest of the
      country heard about was damage that caused police to act.
      But disrupters who damaged property — supposedly Eugene-bred
      anarchists — were a tiny minority who merited being
      arrested. What the mass media ignored was what legally, and
      effectively, disrupted the WTO agenda: thousands of
      disciplined and well-behaved citizens from the length of the
      West Coast who feel the WTO is a threat to individual
      freedom.

      These non-violent protesters included hundreds from Eugene,
      many of whom I’ve observed using their democratic right of
      free expression on a wide range of issues. Often I’ve agreed
      with them; sometimes I have not. What’s at issue is not the
      rightness of the cause, but the right of public dissent.

      As in Chicago a generation earlier, the public response in
      Eugene and Seattle was led by youth. In Chicago, students
      protested what they felt was illegal U.S. involvement in the
      Vietnam War; in Seattle the target was what is perceived as
      globalization for the benefit of corporations to the
      detriment of persons; in Eugene, it was an action viewed as
      the latest step in destruction of the natural environment
      without public review.

      Daley’s obscenity-laced criticism of party liberals was
      viewed by a national TV audience. In Eugene, Mayor Torrey
      avoided personal confrontation. He watched police pepper
      spray so-called “tree-protectors” from the privacy of his
      car parked nearby. His praise for hard-line police tactics
      has led to a community effort to create a citizens’ review
      board of police behavior.

      The Tribune writer suggested Eugene’s “long history of civic
      dissent may be a root cause of more violent activism.” That
      sounds like a torry (British variety of the 1770s)
      describing those in the 13 colonies who had the temerity to
      challenge the power structure’s edicts, coming from a
      monarch across the Atlantic.

      Those challenges can pay dividends for all.

      George H. Beres

      The Website of Lord Weÿrdgliffe:
      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/index.html
      The Dan Clore Necronomicon Page:
      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/necpage.htm

      "Tho-ag in Zhi-gyu slept seven Khorlo. Zodmanas
      zhiba. All Nyug bosom. Konch-hog not; Thyan-Kam
      not; Lha-Chohan not; Tenbrel Chugnyi not;
      Dharmakaya ceased; Tgenchang not become; Barnang
      and Ssa in Ngovonyidj; alone Tho-og Yinsin in
      night of Sun-chan and Yong-grub (Parinishpanna),
      -- The Book of Dzyan.