Dead Kennedys Cancel Appearance over Corporate Sponsorship

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2005

      October 07, 2005, 4:10 PM ET
      Dead Kennedys Cancel Appearance Over Sponsorship
      By Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

      The Dead Kennedys have pulled out of an Oct. 29 Los Angeles
      show, citing sponsorship by Coors Brewing Company as the
      reason. The veteran punk group was to play along with
      Suicidal Tendencies, the Germs, Flipper and Marky Ramone at
      the event, dubbed Walking the Dead.

      The group claims it was unaware of any corporate sponsorship
      for the concert until the Coors logo appeared in a printed
      advertisement. Unable to work out a reasonable compromise
      with the organizers of the show, the band canceled its
      appearance and in a statement derides the brewer, claiming
      past support of conservative groups and anti-union and
      -environmental actions.
      [Not to mention anti-abortion and the infamous PMRC.--DC]

      "Dead Kennedys have always been wary of corporate
      sponsorship and steer clear of lending our name to promote a
      product," says guitarist East Bay Ray. "Because we were not
      alerted to the ultra-conservative, right-wing sponsor for
      this event, we could not see a reason to go ahead and
      perform at this show in good conscience."

      "We obviously disagree with the Dead Kennedys' point-of-view
      regarding our company and its history, and while we're
      disappointed that they've decided to pull out of the show,
      ultimately it is their decision as to which events they
      choose to perform," Coors says in a statement released to
      Billboard.com. "At Coors, we are proud of our corporate
      social performance record and progress. We have long been
      honored by national organizations and publications for our
      progressive policies, business practices and community support."

      The Dead Kennedys -- comprised of East Bay Ray and fellow
      original members D.H. Peligro (drums) and Klaus Flouride
      (bass), along with vocalist Jeff Penalty -- apologizes to
      fans in the statement, promising another L.A. area show in
      the near future.
      [Actually, Peligro wasn't one of the *original* members (he
      didn't play on Fresh Fruit, for example)--the original
      drummer went by "Ted".--DC]

      As previously reported, the group is readying the Oct. 25
      reissue of its 1980 debut, "Fresh Fruit for Rotting
      Vegetables," via Manifesto Records. A bonus DVD will boast
      live archival footage of the band with original lead singer
      Jello Biafra, as well as a documentary about the making of
      the album.

      As previously reported
      http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001138497

      http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001262900

      As the Government of the United States of America is not, in
      any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in
      itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or
      tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never
      entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
      Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no
      pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce
      an interruption of the harmony existing between the two
      countries.
      -- The Treaty of Tripoli, entered into by the USA under
      George Washington