satpal ram

  • eire2000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2000
      1st December 2000

      Dear friends,

      At the end of October Satpal was told by Prison Minister Paul Boateng

      that
      further reports would have to be carried out before he could make an
      informed decision on whether Satpal was eligible for parole. These
      papers
      have still not been finalised today, despite the fact that the whole
      parole
      process began in December 1999. Satpal has served a whole year in
      prison
      undergoing a review process that is supposed to take 6-9 months.

      Today Satpal was advised by the CCRC that he would have to wait
      indefinitely for their decision on whether to refer his case back to
      the
      Court of Appeal. Their decision was due yesterday.

      Satpal requires our support more than ever now. On his behalf we
      would
      like
      to ask everyone to please URGENTLY support him further by faxing a
      letter
      to the Home Office as soon as possible. A parole decision is still
      pending
      and due to be announced any day now. Please forward this email to
      everyone
      you can.

      Fax/Address details below:

      Paul Boateng
      Minister of Prisons & Probation
      Home Office
      Queen Anne's Street
      London
      SW1

      Fax: 0207 273 4090

      Model Letter � please write your own letter, bearing in mind the
      points
      below:

      Dear Paul Boateng,

      Re: Mr Satpal Ram (E94 164)

      Further to the recent picket outside Downing Street on November 16th
      where
      supporters protested against the continued imprisonment and
      segregation of
      Satpal Ram, we feel the following would be useful to you:

      * Satpal has a strong support network, particularly in London and in
      the
      west Midlands.
      He has a stable home and job waiting for him upon his release. He has

      served four years over his recommended tarrif and no purpose is

      served, either to Satpal or to society, by keeping him in prison.
      Indeed
      Satpal has much to contribute to society upon his release.

      * Satpals continued imprisonment is sending a very worrying message
      the
      public about the state�s response to racial attacks, and is contrary
      recent government pronouncements.
      * Satpal has always been sorry for the unfortunate death of his
      attacker.
      But he also maintains that his actions were in self defence. He is
      balanced
      and stable and knows exactly what he is doing and takes full
      responsibility
      for what he has done.

      * A professional psychotherapeutic counsellor who has worked
      intensely
      with
      many ex-offenders with violent pasts, recently visited Satpal having
      known
      him for the past seven years and reported:

      "Satpal has remarkable strength of character, he has remained
      mentally
      healthy, aware of his own feelings and thoughts and clearly able to
      articulate them. He is able to form strong and long lasting
      friendships
      with his colleagues, family and supporters - despite having been
      moved
      63
      times since his incarceration. All these factors collectively point
      toward
      him being a balanced and fully functioning man. I strongly believe
      that
      were Satpal to be released tomorrow he would be of no risk to the
      public."

      I would urge you to make a speedy decision based on the above. It is
      unfair
      to make Satpal wait indefinitely for decisions that are now long
      overdue.

      Yours sincerely,

      Name:
      Supporter of Mr Ram