BLUE STATES, CANADA SHARE VALUES, WHILE RED STATES REJECT TOLERANCE

  • some friends call me snowy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2004
      BLUE STATES, CANADA SHARE VALUES, WHILE RED STATES REJECT TOLERANCE
      By Bill Gallagher

      DETROIT -- The day after the election was cold, gloomy and bleak, but
      the nation's political atmosphere looked even worse. It was the day
      after the Day of the Dead -- literally. Nov. 2 is All Souls Day in the
      Catholic tradition, the day when we have masses, pray for and remember
      the dead. But this was not the time to fret about the departed.
      America's political soul was in the grip of George W. Bush and the
      wacky religious right. Protecting the nation from their radical agenda
      requires our urgent prayers.

      The first seven people I spoke with on Black Wednesday said --
      separately and independently -- they want to go to Canada. Since the
      number seven has such profound religious significance -- liberals can
      read the book of Revelation, too -- and since Bush and his "Rapture"
      base see the war in Iraq as a way to rid Babylon of the infidels, I
      thought I should pay attention to the prophetic words of the seven and
      examine the Canadian connection more carefully.

      The geopolitics of the election is bloody obvious. The people in the
      Red States -- in the south and west -- embody and embrace "Christian"
      virtue and "moral values," and the rest of us -- in the nation's north
      and on the west coast -- provide a haven for Beelzebub and all evil
      ideas and creatures great and small.

      Karl Rove, Bush's minister to the religious right, succeeded in using
      fear, division, ignorance and intolerance to convince 59 million
      Americans that the president would protect them from evil and godless
      liberals and keep our "Christian" soldiers on the march all over the
      world.

      It worked because, in part, the aura of Sept. 11 still lingers and
      Bush was more than willing to exploit fear for political gain. More
      importantly, it worked because Rove and his allies on the religious
      right -- Evangelicals and Catholics alike -- were able to so
      effectively mobilize anti-gay sentiment and make that a more decisive
      issue than the mess in Iraq and Bush's horrible record on the economy.

      Region and religion are replacing race as America's great political
      dividing line and the Republicans were delighted to use video of men
      kissing in TV spots in key states to inflame anti-gay voters,
      especially in the 11 states where same-sex couple legal status issues
      were on the ballot.

      Forget about the endless bloodshed in Iraq, the continuing threat of
      al-Qaeda and the record Bush deficits and reckless Republican spending
      -- the most important issue in our nation is what your consenting gay
      neighbors do privately and how that corrupts our society.

      The "moral values" crowd is energized to smash the wall of separation
      between church and state and use government to advance their creed and
      impose their will on all of us.

      The three persons of their holy trinity of virtue and values are Bill
      Bennett, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly -- an obsessive gambler, a
      dope fiend and a barbaric sexual predator, respectively. But that's
      OK. They're not gay.

      I have seen the future and what the United Christian Kingdom of Bush
      (UCKB) looks like, and it's frightening. I spent three years in the
      early '80s working in Oklahoma, the buckle on the Bible Belt, as the
      locals are fond of calling the place.

      Yes, there are some very nice, friendly, decent people there -- even a
      few brave progressives like Frosty Troy, the longtime editor of the
      Oklahoma Observer, a liberal weekly that dares to print the truth and
      expose the hypocrisy of the right-wing religious fanatics who dominate
      the state.

      Everywhere you turned in Oklahoma you'd find "in your face"
      Christians. One of my favorites was the Jesus Saves Pawn Shop. It was
      common to see stores that conspicuously displayed signs proclaiming a
      "Christian Business." People would identify their ethnicity as
      "Christian."

      When my daughter Amy was in the fifth grade, she was the only student
      in her class who had ever heard of the Holocaust, but they all knew
      who Oral Roberts was.

      In Oklahoma, where "moral values" come "sweepin' down the plain," the
      stench of hatred, intolerance and corruption always hung in the air.
      It is the perfect prototype for the UCKB.

      Oklahoma politicians claimed they were doing the "Lord's work" as they
      ran state institutions for juveniles and the mentally disabled as
      patronage factories -- providing jobs for family and friends -- where
      children were beaten, tortured and even murdered.

      The right-wing preachers never said anything about those horrible
      abuses and crimes, but they would rail from the pulpits about the evil
      of selling "liquor by the drink," and Rev. Bailey Smith, one-time head
      of the Southern Baptist Conference, would proclaim, "God does not
      answer the prayers of Jews."

      In Oklahoma, as in George W. Bush's Texas, the death penalty is
      worshiped and the state's new senator, Tom Coburn, wants the death
      penalty for doctors who perform abortions. Coburn fears the "gay
      agenda" is ruining the nation and says girls shouldn't be allowed in
      bathrooms together because "rampant lesbianism" is plaguing Oklahoma
      high schools.

      The anti-gay crusade was critical in Bush's election and will be a
      theme the religious right will continue to use to divide people and
      gain political advantage. Fostering hatred of minorities to control
      power is a hallmark of totalitarian regimes, and the Red States, as
      well as some Blue, are flush with this tactic.

      I've known many regular churchgoers on the religious right claiming to
      embrace "family values" as they spew homophobic hate and intolerance,
      praise war and advocate killing all Muslims in the Middle East.

      Then I have gay friends -- infrequent churchgoers -- who shower people
      with random acts of generosity and kindness, never utter a hateful
      word and take seriously the commandment to "love thy neighbor."

      Bush's stated opposition to abortion appealed to many "moral values"
      voters, but mark my words, he will make no effort to recriminalize
      abortion, and his policies have forced more women into poverty and
      thus driven abortion rates higher.

      Many of the 55 million Americans who voted for John Kerry wonder what
      kind of nation Bush will shape with his "mandate," and what damage he
      can do to the nation. That's why so many are looking to Canada for the
      hope of tolerance and civility on our continent.

      Within hours of Bush's smirking victory speech, a record-smashing
      115,000 Americans visited Canada's immigration Web site, six times
      more than usual. While it's doubtful many will actually move to
      Canada, the incident underscores just how alienated and distraught
      people are about American politics and the future.

      I have often expressed my fondness for Canadian people and things
      Canadian. I do feel far more comfortable and at home in many areas of
      Canada than I do in many parts of the United States.

      I find the air in Houston filthy and stifling, just like the political
      climate there. Listening to people brag loudly in those horrible Texas
      twangs is insufferable. In Toronto, I can breathe and the people speak
      English.

      Sure, some of my feelings are based on social prejudice, but there are
      also historic, economic and political links that bind people in the
      Blue States more with Canada than with the UCKB.

      In New England we find the seeds of our democratic traditions, Yankee
      realism, common sense and fiscal sanity. Roger Williams founded Rhode
      Island as a haven for those fleeing religious persecution. In New
      York, our great diversity instilled a sense of tolerance and
      inclusion. The peaceful Quakers founded Pennsylvania, and Maryland was
      established as a colony for Catholics fleeing persecution.

      The Upper Midwest gave rise to Lincoln's ( as opposed to Bush's)
      Republican Party and the progressive movement flourished there and
      inspired great reforms. The people in the Blue States championed
      public education, libraries, universities and hospitals, trade unions,
      child labor laws, public transportation, care for the mentally ill,
      laws protecting minorities and the disabled, open government, women's
      suffrage, the abolition of slavery and, God bless them, the repeal of
      Prohibition.

      California is leading the nation in the quest for cleaner air
      standards and requiring more fuel-efficient cars, in spite of the
      opposition of George W. Bush's corporate sponsors in the auto and oil
      industries.

      The environmental movement thrives and makes important strides in
      Oregon and Washington state, where people are proud to say they're
      tree-huggers as they fight urban sprawl and the spread of Bush's
      Wal-Mart Nation.

      The geopolitics of the election is intriguing and shows the Blue
      States have, in many respects, more common ground politically with
      Canada than they have with the Red States within the UCKB.

      I'm not in any way suggesting secession -- that's treason -- although
      Bush and his redneck legions cling with rebel arrogance to that symbol
      of treason and racial oppression, the Confederate flag.

      I do, however, believe the Blue States can look to Canada for an
      informal alliance based on shared political values, trade and the
      natural relationship flowing from contiguous territory.

      Canada is far from a perfect society, but it does show us health care
      for every citizen can work and people can actually afford the
      prescription drugs they need. You can have laws controlling guns
      without bothering hunters and collectors. You can have politically
      informed and sophisticated citizens who engage in reasonable
      discourse, a media that routinely challenges government claims and a
      society that is tolerant and respects diversity.

      But what can the people in Blue States offer the Canadians, besides
      our products and common political beliefs? Brains!

      The top 16 states in the nation with the highest average IQs all voted
      blue, based on measurements in the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations"
      by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen. All 19 Blue States are in the Top
      25 and, of course, the bottom 25 IQ states are all red. This is not
      meant to be smug, but just to point out that, the lower the IQ, the
      more appealing George W. Bush is and vice versa.

      If people in the Red States could vote on the issue, my guess is that
      they would overwhelmingly support expelling the Blue States and their
      moral decadence from the union. The Reds despise Washington, D.C., so
      we could keep it and they could move their capital to Lubbock, Texas.

      My favorite cities in North America are New York, Boston, San
      Francisco, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal -- places people from the
      religious right despise. We would have the symbols and substance of
      their hatred -- everything from Broadway, with all those wonderfully
      talented gay people, to Montreal, where they speak French. Vive la
      difference!

      Rev. Karl Rove could make it a "moral crusade" and convince his
      faithful that expelling the Blue States is a "moral issue" and God's
      will, so King George would never again have to deal with the liberal
      riffraff.

      We would survive the exile and pray for the liberation of the UCKB,
      toasting them by cracking open bottles of that superb Canadian beer so
      aptly named Labatt Blue.

      ___

      Bill Gallagher, a Peabody Award winner, is a former Niagara Falls city
      councilman who now covers Detroit

      http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/gallagher188.htmlhttp://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/gallagher188.html
    • ta
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2004
        The thing is, the Canadian government, along with the Canadian citizen-subsidized "defense" industry, is inextricably tied to the American military industrial complex and our subsequent international adventures it supports. The Canadian Pension Plan also forces its participants to invest in many of the American and Canadian companies who are building tanks, bombs, missiles, and bullets that kill innocent bystanders in Iraq.

        In addition, Canada was one of the four most significant contributors to the Iraq quagmire, despite the fact that they publicly opposed the idea. Form over substance.

        Canada, in many ways, is already an extension of the USA, and although there are obvious cultural and political differences, the physical borders aren't as meaningful as we're often led to believe.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor