Anarchist classes in San Francisco

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      This Fall Semester the Anarchist Library plans to host 4 different
      courses.

      THE CLASSES BEING OFFERED ARE AS FOLLOWS:

      PATTERNS IN ANARCHIST HISTORY
      taught by Barry Pateman Ph.D. ( Ass. Director Emma Goldman Papers, Head
      Archivist Kate Sharply Library)
      Is there anything to learn from past experiences and actions of
      anarchists that can inform today's activities. We'll have a look at
      various examples of anarchist activity from history and see if there is
      anything to learn from them.
      Class starts Sep.9th (class meet 4x's Sep. 9th, Oct 14th, 28th, Nov 18th)
      7:00 - 9:00 PM

      INTRODUCTION TO ANARCHIST ORGANIZATIONS
      Facilitated discussion with members of AK Press and Emma Goldman Papers.

      This class will take a look at the ways anarchists have organized in the
      past and present. We will take a critical look at our successes and
      failures and see what we can learn from both.
      Class meets bi-weekly
      First Class Sep. 7th Last class Dec 14th
      7:00 - 9:00 PM

      ANARCHISM PRACTICE AND THEORY

      A student directed class that will explore anarchism both in its
      historical and current day application within society as well as the
      underlying theory behind its practice.

      ANARCHIST GUEST SPEAKER CLASS
      Thu. 7:00 - 9:00 PM
      Speakers for September

      Sep. 9th- BARRY PATEMAN - PATTERNS IN ANARCHIST HISTORY ( ONGOING LECTURE
      SERIES)

      Sep. 16th- RAMSEY KANAAN - WHEN FUCKING THE SYSTEM ISN'T ENOUGH
      This talk will focus on Ramsey's experiences as an anarchist organizer in
      Scotland with the Edinburgh anarchist org., Community Resistance. It will
      look at the various activities, both propaganda and more importantly
      activism, that the Community Resistance group was involved in -
      culminating in thier five year anti-poll tax organization campaign - and
      the conclusions that can be drawn in terms of anarchist organizations,
      anarchist groups and vanguards.

      Sep. 23rd- LAWRENCE JARACH - POST-LEFT ANARCHISM
      "Those of us who are interested in promoting radical social change in
      general and anarchist in paricular, need to emulate and improve upon
      successful (however temporary) revolutionary projects for liberation,
      rather than congratulating ourselves for being the heirs of Bakunin (et
      al). We can do this best if we free ourselves from the historical baggage
      and the ideological and strategic constraints of all varieties of
      leftism."

      Sep. 30th- NOAM CHOMSKY - REFLECTIONS ON ANARCHISM
      Premier screening of video interview conducted by Barry Pateman at Noam's
      house earlier this year.

      CLASSES ARE TO BE HELD IN ROOM 208 UPPER LEVEL STUDENT UNION, MAIN CAMPUS,
      50 PHELAN AVE. TAKE BART TO BALBOA PARK STATION.

      FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT CLASSES GO TO anarchistlibrary.org

      www.anarchistlibrary.org
      add your comments
      Power and authority are best placed in the hands of the unwilling, and worst
      placed in the hands of the over-eager.