Revenge of the Son of the Bride of RNC Protests

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004

      [Another mixed bag of stories.--DC]

      *****

      The Gadflyer
      Joshua Holland's Dispatches
      Reporting from the front lines of New York
      by Joshua Holland, Contributor
      9.01.04

      Circular firing squad

      Yesterday, I went to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine to
      hear such Lefty luminaries as Peter Camejo, Naomi Klein and
      Jeremy Scahill in a panel titled: "Can we do better than
      Anybody But Bush?" It was a slug-fest against Kerry; so much
      for unity on the Left.

      I'm very willing to accept the arguments they made: the Dems
      supported the war in Iraq, they voted for the Patriot Act,
      and their candidate is running on a pro-war platform.

      But what struck me was that the entire panel focused on
      nothing but foreign policy. There was no talk of running
      huge deficits to finance tax breaks for the wealthy, no talk
      of an administration basing public policy on faith-based
      science, little discussion of women's rights and scant
      mention of labor issues. It was, in short, all about foreign
      policy, where I agree there is little difference between
      Bush and Kerry. The question is: what country do we live in?
      I'm not callous about foreign policy issues by any means,
      but let's be straight: there may not be a dime's worth of
      difference between the parties on war and peace, but Kerry
      will certainly encourage, for example, stem-cell research,
      and won't work to deregulate and privatize the world or undo
      the social contract as the Bush administration has.

      By the way, Camejo is one of the best speakers I've ever heard.

      Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland

      I had this exchange with one of NY's Finest while trying to
      negotiate the police dragnet around the convention site:

      Me: How far to the east does the security perimeter extend?

      Police supervisor: Why do you want to know?

      Me: I'm trying to get uptown, and I want to know how far
      east I need to go to cut north.

      Supervisor: I'm not sharing that information with you.

      Me: Well I can walk east until they let me walk north.

      Supervisor: You better move right now or we're going to have
      a problem here.

      I complied.

      Here's how the Daily News covered last evening's violence
      around the Garden:

      Protesters Attack Detective, Kick Him In Head

      A police detective was knocked unconscious last night by
      demonstrators just blocks from Madison Square Garden.

      Detective William Sample was trying to prevent protesters
      from breaking through a police barricade at Eighth Ave. and
      29th St. when he was pulled off his scooter and kicked
      repeatedly in the head…

      Sample was injured after cops let a group called the Poor
      People's Economic Human Rights Campaign, which had rallied
      outside the United Nations, march through the city even
      though it did not have a permit to do so...

      Four people were arrested as protesters chanted "Let them
      go! Let them go!" Then Sample, who was in plainclothes, was
      attacked.

      Here's what I saw:

      We had a peaceful march from the UN, although there were
      incidents along the way that I didn't witness. I did see
      what happened when we arrived at the barricades. Protesters
      started shaking the metal fences and demanding "Let us through."

      Police didn't try to prevent protesters from breaking
      through the fences; they removed the barricade themselves so
      that fellow officers on scooters could drive at high speed
      into the heart of the crowd.

      This is a new tactic we've seen several times, and no doubt
      follows criticism of NYPD's use of horses during the antiwar
      protests last spring. Now they ride scooters, or, according
      to Democracy Now's Jeremy Scahill, Harley Davidsons, into
      groups of protesters.

      I can't say what happened to the detective, as I was about
      50 yards away and there was a lot of confusion. What I can
      say for sure is that the police reacted violently to
      demonstrators who were simply shaking the fences. Apparently
      "violence" includes insults -- if not injuries -- to
      inanimate objects.

      I told you so

      Earlier in the week, I wrote that the focus on supposedly
      violent anarchists created "an unnecessarily dangerous
      situation for protesters, innocent passersby and police
      officers alike."

      Yesterday, the police suffered their greatest injuries of
      the convention when a police van loaded with 11 officers ran
      a red light and crashed into an unmarked police cruiser in
      midtown.

      There were no serious injuries, but the question remains:
      why were they racing through the city and blowing red
      lights? NYPD didn't comment on what the officers were
      responding to.

      It's our country too

      The best moment of Sunday's big march was when
      counter-protesters started shouting "U-S-A, U-S-A," to which
      the demonstrators responded in kind. The look of confusion
      on the faces of the right-wingers as they ran out of ideas
      was priceless.

      You can die calling someone a flip-flopper

      Those great GOP wits are at it again. They've hired dozens
      of out of work New York actors (I assume) to play the
      legendary dolphin 'Flipper' to highlight Kerry's supposed
      flip-flopping on the issues. The only problem is that the
      dolphin costumes are several inches thick and have no
      ventilation, and the temperature's been in the humid high
      80s. So if you see a dolphin passed out on the street with
      heat stroke, have a little compassion.

      Red States' Mayor

      The media's having a love-fest the day after Rudolph
      Giuliani's speech to the convention. I was on the streets
      and missed it, but I remember living under Rudy, and he sure
      ain't my America's mayor.

      Although many seem to have forgotten, Giuliani was one of
      the most loathed mayors in New York history right up to
      September 10th, 2001. He criminalized homelessness and
      evicted thousands from low-income housing. His
      "quality-of-life" scheme included zero tolerance for
      otherwise law-abiding New Yorkers who stepped out of line
      even slightly. A friend of mine spent three days in jail for
      having an open container of beer on a hot summer day in 2000.

      But now he's a hero. And for what? For remaining calm on
      September 11th. And while I'll give him some credit for his
      sensitive handling of the trauma, I'll also ask: what else
      would he have done? Throw a temper tantrum? Hide in the
      closet? Run to Peru? The bottom line: handling a crisis does
      not "America's Mayor" make.

      *****

      Security at work
      Updated: 9/1/2004 8:30 AM
      By: Bill Carey, News 10 Now Web Staff

      The scenes were chaotic, but it could have been much worse.
      Bands of so-called anarchists wandered the streets of New
      York City, attempting to disrupt the republican national
      convention.

      But the convention went on.

      The task seems overwhelming. How to protect thousands of
      delegates and guests at the Republican National Convention,
      while at the same time, allowing a city with millions of
      people to keep operating at near normalcy. Somehow, the
      authorities seem to have accomplished the task, so far.

      There have been arrests. In at least one case, a New York
      City police officer was seriously hurt when he was attacked
      by protestors. But, overall, the city and convention have
      kept operating.

      "Any of the problems that have occurred have been considered
      and I think that's why New York City police department's
      response has been so quick and so balanced and why there's
      been so little physical force needed to quell these things,"
      said James McMahon, State Public Safety Director.

      Delegates coming to Madison Square Garden have reached a
      consensus on all of the protests, especially those who aim
      their wrath at individual delegates, calling them names and
      chastising their party.

      "I think it's a little silly. But, I'm having such a great
      time in New York that a little bad manners doesn't make any
      difference. It's a great town," said delegate Thaddeus Taylor.

      Looking at the massive police presence, there are questions
      over whether it is too much or just right. The delegates
      have reached a consensus on that as well.

      "Well it must be just right, because everything is working
      good," said delegate Bob Lynn.

      The officials in charge of putting all of the security
      together say they'll accept criticism of what they did. They
      say since September 11th, their need to plan for the worst
      has become paramount.

      "If the planning didn't go in, if the resources weren't
      here, and the money spent to buy a safe atmosphere there'd
      be another commission investigating why that wasn't done, if
      that happened," said McMahon.

      McMahon and other top officials say they won't call their
      effort a success until the convention is over and the
      delegates head home.

      *****

      New York Newsday

      900 protesters arrested during march toward Garden
      Across midtown and lower Manhattan, protesters and police
      clash, sparking chaos during rush hour civil unrest

      This story was reported by Daryl Khan, Lindsay Faber, Luis
      Perez, Sean Gardiner, Indrani Sen, Rocco Parascandola, Glenn
      Thrush, Wil Cruz, Marshand Boone, Tomoeh Murakami Tse, Galia
      Garcia-Palafox, and

      September 1, 2004

      Waves of protesters clashed with police across midtown and
      lower Manhattan last night, resulting in at least 900 arrests.

      The chaos began in the midst of rush hour, as commuters
      tried to make their way home and security around Madison
      Square Garden tightened for convention speeches by first
      lady Laura Bush and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
      The disorder took place on a day that anarchist groups had
      marked for civil disobedience.

      At Bryant Park, tensions erupted at 6 p.m. when a dispute
      over a banner sparked rough-and-tumble verbal and physical
      encounters between marchers and police on and around the
      steps of the public library.

      Meanwhile, at Ground Zero, a controversial police dragnet at
      Church and Vesey streets swept up 200 marchers minutes after
      about 500 of them left on their way to a "die-in."

      As police sirens blared into the night, marchers moved to
      Herald Square where a series of running encounters took
      place. Police closed Broadway. The sidewalks were overwhelmed.

      "They aren't letting me go this way, they're not letting me
      go that way," said Joyce Breach, 60, of the East Village,
      after shopping at Macy's. "I wish the police treated
      tax-paying New Yorkers with as much consideration as they
      have for these Republicans."

      "This is definitely a little nerve-wracking," said tourist
      Kimberly King, 40, of Marina Del Rey, Calif. "It seems like
      we're at a delicate balance between peace and passion and at
      any moment, the scene could go bad."

      At one point, police stood shoulder-to-shoulder across 32nd
      Street, as spotters peered through binoculars waiting for
      protesters to arrive. When a group of protesters tried to
      pass a police barrier at Broadway and 34th Street, one woman
      was nearly trampled as police pushed them back with orange
      netting. Protesters shouted, "This is what a police state
      looks like."

      "When there is dissent, they try to break it up and stifle
      it," said Priya Reddy, a writer and eco-activist of
      Manhattan. "It's a whitewash. The best thing they can do is
      let people gather because this is history."

      Talk show host Chris Matthews got a scare on the MSNBC set
      in Herald Square when a protester hopped a security fence
      and tried to jump onto the stage. He was immediately subdued
      and a stunned Matthews carried on.

      "It's their right to protest," said Mary Ceverha, a delegate
      from Dallas. "They feel very strongly about it. We feel very
      strongly about it. I'm so proud of the police."

      As of 11 p.m., some 900 people had been arrested, said
      Deputy Chief Michael Collins; 150 alone were arrested at
      35th Street and Sixth Avenue. At nearby 35th Street and
      Fifth Avenue about 10 p.m., there were so many arrests that
      police did not have enough buses to transport those they
      took into custody.

      The wave of arrests came a day after a protester attacked a
      plainclothes officer during a demonstration.

      Last night's situation was serious enough that Mayor Michael
      Bloomberg went to the police command center at Penn Station
      last night.

      By midnight, the situation was still developing, but there
      were no reports of serious injury or extensive vandalism.

      Earlier, with dusk descending, the chaos at Bryant Park
      began when police pounced on two men unfurling a
      black-and-pink banner.

      Hundreds of protesters immediately unfurled their own
      banners, chanting, "Let them go." Police threw a woman to
      the ground. The crowd surrounded the officers, chanting,
      "The Whole World is Watching."

      "It was unbelievable," said Cyndy Bruce, 26, of Chicago.
      "This is a public space. The officer said, 'You can't hang
      it but you can hold it.' As soon as they held it up, the
      officers swarmed in. They incited this violence. Not us."

      "It feels like a tactic of fear they're trying to instill in
      us like they're nervous and they feel the need to start
      controlling people," said Courtney Arnold, 27, of Babylon.

      Minutes after the crowd gathered, police in phalanx
      formation linked arms. As scuffles broke out, police strung
      orange netting and appeared to be preparing to make hundreds
      of arrests.

      They relented on the arrest plan at 7 p.m., as people began
      to move to Herald Square. Six people blocked 42nd Street.
      Police rushed them with scooters, tackled them and loaded
      them into a van.

      Meanwhile, at Ground Zero -- a touchstone symbol in this
      year's presidential race -- a peaceful march turned sour as
      police strung orange nets at Vesey and Church streets,
      corralling 200 people including journalists and onlookers.

      Police Commissioner Ray Kelly blamed the Ground Zero arrests
      on march organizers "reneging on an agreement not to block
      traffic" and "failing to walk on sidewalk instead of street."

      But many detainees told reporters they were not aware of the
      rules. "They said as long as you observe the red lights, it
      shouldn't be a problem," said Bob Curley, who was arrested
      with his son. "Then we walked off the sidewalk and across
      the street and that was the end."

      Police filled five busloads of detainees as people screamed,
      "Arrest George Bush." "We are fighting against our own
      people, we have our own people against us," said Stephanie
      Lobello, 21, a tattoo artist from Flushing. "There is no
      freedom in this country."

      One officer who was listening said, "We're following orders."
      [The Nuremberg defense.--DC]

      At the Hummer offices at 11th Avenue and 56th Street, 40
      officers looked on as a lone protester, Georgi Page, 34, a
      Web producer from Harlem, marched resolutely in a Hummer
      costume made from a cardboard box. "I thought there would be
      a lot more people here," acknowledged Page.

      Her lonely protest lasted 20 minutes before she was asked to
      leave by a police officer. "I'm not going to be arrested,"
      Page said. "I'm not obstructing traffic. I'm legally
      protesting."

      But a teary Page was loaded into a police van. She was
      charged with disorderly conduct for "parading without a permit."

      Day of protest

      Police clashed with protesters all across the city yesterday
      as organizers marked a day of civil disobedience.

      125TH STREET

      Police arrest six at Lexington Avenue subway station.

      BRYANT PARK

      Physical exchanges between police and marchers on steps of
      New York Public Library.

      HERALD SQUARE

      Presence of police and marchers results in closing of
      Broadway; police use netting to corral protesters. A woman
      is nearly trampled to death. Protester rushes set of MSNBC's
      Chris Matthews show, arrested.

      GROUND ZERO

      Police dragnet results in 200 arrests at Church and Vesey
      streets.

      WALL STREET

      Group attempts to string yarn across telephone poles, arrested.

      *****

      Anti-Bush protesters maintain high profile
      PAUL J. PRONOVOST
      [Cape Cod Times] STAFF WRITER

      NEW YORK -- Protesters made good on promises to step up
      demonstrations yesterday, as hundreds took to the streets
      near Madison Square Garden to disrupt traffic and rattle
      delegates approaching the convention.

      Police had made close to 300 arrests yesterday, including
      dozens as anarchists swarmed several street corners, banging
      trash cans and windows and shouting anti-Bush slogans.
      Delegates approaching last night's convention were the
      subject of repeated taunts by protesters, but most smiled
      and took pictures of the crowds as police cut a path for
      their approach to Ninth Avenue.

      "I've never seen anything like this. When I was in South
      Africa, I saw stuff like this," said, Christopher Zorn of
      New York.

      Members of the A31 Action Coalition targeted yesterday for
      numerous demonstrations at convention-related events and
      specific businesses they called "war profiteers."

      At Greeley Square, police grabbed 20 protesters who
      simultaneously laid down at the intersection of 33rd and
      Greeley streets and chained themselves together with bicycle
      chains, according to New York Police Department Detective
      Kevin Czartoryski. Hundreds of police officers swarmed the
      area in heavy numbers and blocked foot traffic at each
      street corner, allowing traffic to continue to flow toward
      Madison Square Garden even as the crowds continued to swell.

      As people spilled into the streets, officers hung nets that
      served as barriers to keep people on the sidewalk.

      Demonstrators yelled "shame on you" at the police as they
      made arrests, before turning back to angry chants about
      Bush. Several city residents were jostled as they tried to
      fit through heavily congested sidewalks filled with
      protesters boxed in by dozens of police officers.

      In a bizarre moment in Greeley Square, a bushy-faced,
      bald-headed man wearing an anti-Kerry T-shirt began
      aggressively jumping around in the scrum of protesters. One
      demonstrator -- wearing a "Legal Advisor" banner and
      refusing to identify himself -- somehow believed the man was
      a police officer and began shouting "cop, cop."

      The man continued to knock into demonstrators as several
      called 911 to report an unruly man in the crowd.

      Police on the other side of the barricade angrily summoned
      the man over, but it did not appear he was arrested.

      Elsewhere, at 33rd and Madison, groups of police on bicycles
      moved in to arrest several people for unknown offenses as
      officers systematically moved people away from Madison
      Square Garden. Activist support groups collected names as
      people were loaded into paddy wagons and later transferred
      to public city buses to be taken to the temporary jail
      facilities set up for protesters.

      Park Avenue was blocked off by police officers on scooters
      and helicopters hovered overhead as the tension mounted last
      night.

      On Broadway, a dozen protesters were arrested about an hour
      after demonstrations began when they staged a "die in" on
      the streets and sidewalks.

      Protesters associated with various groups and causes have
      demonstrated in Manhattan throughout the convention, with an
      antiwar protest Sunday bringing an estimated quarter-million
      to the city.

      But it has been the anarchists who appear to be drawing the
      ire of police. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said officers
      would allow people to exercise their First Amendment rights,
      but would not hesitate to arrest people who become unruly.

      Staff writer KEVIN DENNEHY contributed to this report.
      mailto:kdennehy@...

      (Published: September 1, 2004)

      *****

      Wednesday, September 1, 2004
      Throngs protest across Manhattan
      By JAMES DREW
      [Toledo] BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU CHIEF

      NEW YORK -- Vowing to counter the "Bush agenda of greed and
      war at home and abroad," thousands of protesters took to the
      streets yesterday in a day of civil disobedience and direct
      action that led to the arrest of hundreds as clashes broke
      out last night with police.

      Two days after an anti-Bush march attracted more than
      100,000 demonstrators, activists and anarchists from dozens
      of groups protested without permits across Manhattan as
      police on motorcycles and bicycles swarmed to control them.

      As protesters tried to surround Madison Square Garden, a
      fight broke out with police outside the New York Public
      Library, and demonstrators confronted delegates with bitter
      denunciations of the Bush administration.

      Before last night, 700 people had been arrested since
      Thursday in demonstrations across New York City against the
      U.S.-led war in Iraq and other Bush administration policies.

      Several delegates have reported harassment from protesters,
      but Ohio Republican Party Chairman Bob Bennett said he had
      not heard of any problems within Ohio's 179-member
      delegation. "We told people if they're out walking by
      themselves, don't obviously wear a lot of George Bush stuff
      and don't carry your credentials out where they can be
      seen," Mr. Bennett said.

      Police announced the arrest of a 21-year-old Yale student
      after he entered a restricted area near Vice President Dick
      Cheney's booth at the convention Monday night, coming within
      10 feet of him and shouting anti-war and anti-Bush
      statements. No weapon was found on the man.

      At 7:15 last night, 30 protesters from a San Francisco-based
      anti-war group were dragged into police wagons after they
      sat in the intersection of West 33rd Street and Broadway, a
      long block from Madison Square Garden, site of the
      Republican National Convention.

      "This is an autonomous group of citizens taking over the
      street as a dissent to the Bush administration," said Brooke
      Atherton, a 26-year-old secretary and member of Direct
      Action to Stop the War. "We don't support the empire that
      the Bush administration is building around the world."

      At about the same time, 200 anti-Bush protesters following a
      marching band from Union Square were corralled by police
      using interlocking barricades. Dozens of arrests were reported.

      Elizabeth Broad, 25, took part in a vigil at 3 p.m. with
      members of the War Resisters League at the site of the World
      Trade Center.

      "I'm honoring those who died on Sept. 11 in that tragedy and
      honoring the dead in Afghanistan and those who continue to
      die in Iraq," Ms. Broad said.

      As 200 protesters left the vigil to march to the convention
      site, police used barricades to pen them in and arrested them.

      "It was a pre-emptive arrest," said Doyle Danning, a member
      of the A31 Action Coalition. Her umbrella group organized
      the day of civil disobedience and direct action. She said
      protesters had adhered to police instructions to walk
      two-by-two on the sidewalk.

      After the arrests, the remaining protesters marched to West
      29th Street and Broadway, where they lay down and were
      arrested in a "die-in" to honor those killed in Afghanistan
      and Iraq, Ms. Broad said.

      Several protesters said references to 9/11 during the
      convention have angered them. "People are getting locked up
      so that Rudy Guiliani and George W. Bush can use 9/11 to
      justify their police state," said Geoffrey Blank, co-founder
      of the No Police State Coalition.

      About 500 protesters gathered in lower Manhattan at about
      noon yesterday for a march to the building that houses the
      federal Bureau of Immigrant and Customs Enforcement.

      Jessica Rodriguez, an anarchist from Philadelphia who helped
      organize the protest, said the Bush administration unjustly
      has detained, deported, and "scapegoated" immigrants from
      Arab countries after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

      "We're sending a unified message to those who support the
      Bush agenda: If they want to continue their unlimited war,
      we're not down with that and they're going to have to step
      over us," said Michael Lubrano, 40, a computer analyst from
      Seattle.

      After negotiating with police to open two lanes of traffic,
      the protesters chanted "Open up the borders, close the
      [Republican National Convention]."

      Halting at a small park for a "street theater,"
      demonstrators gathered around 10 protesters with their hands
      tied behind their backs. Hoods were placed over their heads
      to make them look like detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

      "We don't care if you are U.S. citizens or illegal aliens,"
      a protester acting as a military officer told them. "You are
      enemy combatants. You don't have any rights."

      During the street theater, police arrested a protester who
      had climbed a tree.

      Earlier, police said they arrested 24 people -- 17 for
      blocking traffic on foot or on bicycles in the Wall Street
      financial district and six for wearing masks at a subway
      station in Harlem. The protesters, dressed in black, said
      they were representing "all the dead in the latest imperial
      war against Iraq."

      On Monday night, a police officer on a scooter was hurt as
      protesters approached Madison Square Garden. A police
      officer said the detective was knocked off his scooter and
      kicked and punched by a protester. Four other officers
      suffered minor injuries. The detective, William Sample, was
      in St. Vincent's Manhattan Hospital.

      Shahid Buttar, an attorney from Washington and volunteer for
      an anarchist group, said police provoked the clash by
      driving into a crowd.

      Contact James Drew at:
      mailto:jdrew@...
      or 614-221-0496.

      *****

      DAYS OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE
      Demonstrators stage acts of protest throughout city;
      hundreds arrested
      By Tatsha Robertson and Marcella Bombardieri
      [Boston] Globe Staff
      September 1, 2004

      NEW YORK -- Activists wearing pig snouts, climbing trees,
      and playing dead in the street answered a call for a wave of
      civil disobedience across the city yesterday to protest
      against President Bush and corporations with ties to his
      administration.

      Two spontaneous incidents Monday night -- an attack on an
      undercover police officer during an unauthorized march on
      Madison Square Garden, the site of the Republican National
      Convention, and the arrest of a Yale student who entered a
      restricted zone near the booth of Vice President Dick Cheney
      -- prompted heavily armed officers on the second day of the
      convention to be more vigilant.

      Police said they arrested 550 people yesterday, the largest
      number since the protests began last week. Authorities said
      some of the planned demonstrations never materialized,
      perhaps because of the heavy police presence.

      "Most protesters expressed dissent in a peaceful fashion.
      There are a minority who engaged in unlawful activity,
      including criminal assault," said Police Commissioner
      Raymond Kelly.

      For months, protesters calling themselves "A-31," after
      yesterday's date, have been planning a day of nonviolent
      acts protesting the Bush administration and the convention.
      True to their word, demonstrators kept police in riot gear
      scrambling yesterday. At one afternoon protest, police
      snared scores of them with orange netting near the World
      Trade Center site.

      "We might be small, we might be young, but we are strong and
      we are coming after you," said Elizabeth Broad, a Manhattan
      resident who is a spokeswoman for some protesters. "We're
      resisting creatively, openly, and in a positive way."

      Organizers said protesters belonged to college-based groups
      that use phone trees to plan their activism.

      About 1,100 people have been arrested in convention-related
      protests since Thursday. Most have been peaceful, but
      several confrontations have erupted.

      On Monday night, a protest that started at the United
      Nations and moved to Madison Square Garden ended in a
      violent confrontation. According to police, a plainclothes
      officer sustained head injuries after he was knocked off his
      scooter, then punched and kicked into unconsciousness.
      Police in riot gear swarmed the area, pushing protesters
      away from the arena. Four other police officers suffered
      minor injuries during the scuffle.

      In a separate incident, the Secret Service said a Yale
      student who dressed as a volunteer, Thomas Frampton, was
      arrested after he came within 10 feet of Cheney near his
      booth inside the convention hall. Frampton was detained when
      he started shouting antiwar statements, authorities said.
      Yesterday he was charged with assaulting federal officers
      and impeding the operation of the Secret Service.

      The series of demonstrations yesterday began outside a hotel
      where a GOP breakfast sponsored by Halliburton was taking
      place. About two dozen protesters wearing pig snouts threw
      fake $100 bills bearing the faces of Cheney and Bush.
      Calling themselves employees of "Hallibacon," they chanted:
      "We love money. We love war. We love Cheney even more."
      Critics have charged that Halliburton received
      multimillion-dollar contracts in Iraq because of its close
      connections with Cheney, the company's former chief
      executive. The vice president has denied that.

      While there were no arrests at that demonstration, 14 people
      were detained near Wall Street for blocking morning traffic.
      An additional six were arrested for wearing masks in a
      Harlem subway station, authorities said. Police in riot gear
      watched as 1,000 protesters stood outside Fox News in
      midtown Manhattan, decrying what they called the cable
      channel's conservative slant.

      Protest groups held a news conference in Union Square park,
      where they criticized the city's newspapers for hyping them
      as violent anarchists.

      Brian C. Mooney and Raja Mishra contributed to this report.
      Material from the Associated Press was also used.

      *****

      "It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
      *anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
      -- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
      _Detective Comics_ #608