Iraq, Baghdad, A War Without End (Fifth Report)

  • mick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2004
      Subject: [iraqsol-contacts] A War Without End (Fifth Report)
      From: andrea@...
      Date: Sat, April 10, 2004 11:44 am
      To: iraqsol-contacts@...-net.org

      A War Without End

      April 10 2004
      Occupied Baghdad

      Iraq is a country at war.

      Exactly a year after we were told that the war had ended and that freedom
      had been brought to the people of Iraq, the square in which Saddam’s
      statue was toppled was put under curfew again. The curfew didn't prevent
      a mortar attack on the Alwiyah Club that stands beside the square hidden
      behind blast walls.

      Yesterday, reports from Falluja indicated that the city was still being
      held under siege by US Occupation Forces, as it had been since Tuesday. In
      the morning, word came that a cease-fire had been negotiated between US
      soldiers and resistance fighters, but by afternoon, the cease-fire was
      off. US Occupation Forces had continued to bomb the city with mortars,
      Apache helicopters, fighter planes, RPG7s and cluster bombs.

      By evening, medical aid workers were giving the cautious estimate that the
      death-toll of this week’s massacre in Falluja had reached 427 Iraqis; 1200
      people were said to be injured. An acquaintance arrived with video footage
      of families fleeing the city in an attempt to reach Baghdad. They formed a
      caravan that stretched over 10 kilometers long and were being prevented
      from advancing by US troops.

      We do not have news of what is going on in the predominately Shia cities
      in the South where there has been fighting over the past days, and where
      people are preparing to celebrate Arbayeen, the end of Muharram. We rely
      on international news channels and the internet. But Muharram began with
      the bombing of shrines in Najaf and in Kadhimiya, that killed over 178
      people. Who will decide that their interests might be served by attacking
      the pilgrimage?

      The war is not a civil war; it is a war of terror in which collective
      punishment is a preferred tactic.

      In Sadr City, where battles between resistance fighters from Moqtada
      Al-Sadr’s Mehdi Army and US Occupation Forces have gone on since last
      Sunday, families have spent sleepless nights listening to the sound of
      missiles, machine gun fire, tanks and low-flying helicopters.

      On Wednesday morning, we visited a block of houses that had been hit by
      missiles they said were fired from a helicopter after 11:30 PM on Monday
      night. One missile hit the kitchen wall and blew up the kerosene tank,
      causing a fire. The second missile hit the outside wall of a second floor
      bedroom, destroying all the furniture within. A third missile hit the
      corner room of the building next door, in which food rations for 158
      families were said to be stored. The food was destroyed. Families on the
      block have left temporarily to go and live with relatives or friends.

      We also saw the burnt-out remains of two cars that neighbours say were
      shot by rockets fired from helicopters the night before. Two neighbors who
      tried to assist four people in one of the burning cars were shot at from
      tanks. A total of six people were reportedly killed in the two cars. No
      curfew had been imposed, but it seemed that US Occupying Forces were
      targeting any vehicles they found moving after dark.

      "If America doesn't leave the areas, this will go on and on," said a man
      who said he witnessed the targeting of one of the cars. "America is
      fighting poor people…"

      Indeed, this war is visibly being fought with tanks and RPG7s, with
      helicopters and cluster-bombs, but the years of US-supported Ba'athist
      dictatorship and the impoverishment of the majority of Iraqi people were
      also years of war. I listened yesterday as a Shia man told me that during
      the twelve years of UN-imposed sanctions, Shiite communities in Iraq
      really had to survive two sets of sanctions – one from outside Iraq, and
      one imposed by the dictatorship within. This disenfranchisement has not
      come to an end over the past year of war we’ve called occupation.
      Poverty, denial of education, malnutrition: these are also forms of war,
      as deadly in the long run as military machinery.

      This is a war without end.

      There is a feeling of hopelessness that permeates the present terror. As
      the number of kidnapped foreigners rises NGOs and humanitarian
      organizations are deliberating on whether or not to pack up and leave the
      country. A young Iraqi woman called me yesterday morning, greeting me with
      words dulled by resignation: “So we are at war again.” She told me to
      leave the country.

      An Iraqi man I run into describes his country as a prison, but adds that
      “maybe prison is better, because at least in prison, there is a date when
      you know you can leave.” As a foreigner with a Canadian passport, I have
      the option of leaving and a choice to make.

      We drive past the UNICEF compound and notice that new blast walls have put
      up, closing off the entrance to their offices. A road that was open two
      days ago is now blocked off by razor wire. The young man driving the car
      turns around and motions to the dead-end, a new variant on the many
      dead-ends that have turned the city into a labyrinth; “This is Iraq,” he
      says, and smiles.

      ----------
      This report was written by Andréa Schmidt for the Iraq Solidarity Project.
      The Iraq Solidarity Project is a Montreal-based grassroots initiative to
      provide direct non-violent support to Iraqis struggling against the
      occupation; strengthen the mobilization against economic and military
      domination and anti-war work in Quebec and Canada; and build links of
      solidarity between struggles against the occupation of Iraq and struggles
      against oppression in Canada and Quebec.

      Note added by Mick: When in Montreal, Andréa Schmidt is an anarchist
      organizer active with the CLAC.

      While in Iraq, Andréa can be reached by email at andrea@... or
      andreaschmidt2004@....

      To get in touch with the Iraq Solidarity Project in Montreal, email
      psi@... or call (514) 521-5252.