Green Anarchist Defies Grand Jury / Activists Protest

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2000
      Activist defies call by grand jury

      A self-styled "green anarchist" is a no-show for
      the eco-terrorism inquiry

      Thursday, May 25, 2000

      By Bryan Denson of The Oregonian staff

      Radical environmentalist Josh Harper was a
      no-show Wednesday at the U.S. Courthouse in
      Portland, where he was commanded to testify
      before a federal grand jury looking into a
      string of eco-terrorist arsons.

      Harper, who describes himself as a "green
      anarchist," defied a subpoena, telling allies
      he wouldn't answer grand jury questions about
      two underground groups claiming responsibility
      for the crimes.

      The U.S. Coast Guard subpoenaed Harper at sea
      last month as he tried to disrupt the Makah
      tribe's hunt for gray whales off the Olympic
      Peninsula. A longtime animal rights activist,
      he also produces videotapes that depict activists
      demonstrating against the fur industry and
      stealing captive animals. He could not be reached
      for comment Wednesday, but he passed a statement
      to allies in Portland.

      "My life is my own, my thoughts are my own, and
      what I decide to do will not be dictated to me by
      judges, attorneys and their lackeys with guns,"
      Harper wrote. "If they want me, let them come and
      get me. They can drag me to the grand jury room,
      but they can never make me speak."

      It was not immediately clear whether the government
      sought to arrest Harper for failing to appear.
      Typically, arrest warrants for contempt of court in
      grand jury matters are not made public.

      Federal authorities are investigating a three-year
      series of arsons and break-ins for which the Earth
      Liberation Front and Animal Liberation Front --
      sometimes jointly, sometimes alone -- have taken
      anonymous responsibility. The crimes include a $12
      million arson at the Vail, Colo., ski resort that
      the ELF claimed to have set to warn against
      wilderness destruction.

      Craig Rosebraugh, a Portland activist, publicized
      those crimes after receiving claims of responsibility
      from the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal
      Liberation Front. Rosebraugh maintains he does not
      know the identities of the culprits, but he strongly
      supports their crimes.

      Rosebraugh, 28, has been called before the grand jury
      twice this year, but he claims he gave the secret
      panel no information that would help solve the crimes.
      He was subpoenaed to testify Wednesday but was told
      Tuesday he would not be called until June or July.

      Rosebraugh rallied about 50 activists outside the
      courthouse to condemn grand juries and show support
      for the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal
      Liberation Front.

      Activists protest grand jury session on eco-terror
      attacks

      Thursday, May 25, 2000

      By CRISTINE GONZALEZ
      THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

      PORTLAND -- Carrying signs that said "Stop Government
      Terrorism," demonstrators gathered outside a federal
      courthouse yesterday to protest a grand jury
      investigating a string of eco-terrorism arson attacks
      across the country.

      Nearly 50 people gathered in support of Craig
      Rosebraugh, who was told he must make a sixth
      appearance before the grand jury in June, when he
      faces contempt charges if he refuses to answer
      questions about the Earth Liberation Front.

      "It's another round of ridiculous drama that seems
      to be going nowhere," said Rosebraugh, whose subpoena
      to appear was canceled late Tuesday afternoon.

      "It's obvious to me, since they confiscated my
      belongings, that if they really had evidence they
      would already have done something," he said.

      Rosebraugh has acted as spokesman for the Earth
      Liberation Front, or ELF, which has claimed
      responsibility for a Christmas Day arson that caused
      $1 million in damage to a Boise Cascade office in
      Monmouth, just south of the state capital.

      ELF also has claimed responsibility for an October
      1998 arson that caused $12 million in damage to a ski
      area in Vail, Colo., and other fires in Michigan,
      Indiana and Oregon.

      Federal prosecutors previously have called on
      Rosebraugh, hoping he would lead them to the
      underground eco-terrorism group.

      Although prosecutors have offered Rosebraugh immunity,
      which compels his testimony and blocks his Fifth
      Amendment right to refuse to answer questions, he has
      not cooperated.

      A judge could cite him for contempt and hold him in
      custody indefinitely for refusing.

      The FBI raided Rosebraugh's home in February and seized
      computers, papers and other items. He repeatedly has
      told investigators he knows nothing about the fires and
      has acted simply as a messenger for ELF.

      Another witness subpoenaed to appear yesterday did not
      appear.

      Josh Harper, a member of Ocean Defense International, a
      group against whaling off the Olympic Peninsula, said in
      a statement that, "as an anarchist," he would "never
      willingly cooperate with the grand jury system."

      "My life is my own, my thoughts are my own, and what I
      decide to do will not be dictated to me by judges,
      attorneys, and their lackeys with guns," said the
      statement, which Rosebraugh read out loud. "They can
      drag me into the grand jury room, but they can never
      make me speak," the statement said.

      The demonstration was among several nationwide expected
      to draw hundreds of protesters against the grand jury
      system.

      Other demonstrations were planned in Los Angeles, San
      Diego, Bloomington, Ind., Chicago and Minneapolis.