The Dirt on the RNC Crack Down

  • Agent Smiley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2000
      From: Kate <sorensen@c...>

      The Dirt on the RNC Crack Down
      ACT UP and The Brown Collective had a town meeting last week. People
      who
      weren't directly involved in the demonstrations during the
      Republican
      National Convention came to find out what really happened and what the
      plan is for the future.
      I've been calling friends and relatives across the country,
      updating
      them on my case. I've found that most folks have little
      information on
      the demos and most of the information that came from the corporate
      media
      has painted the demonstrators as terrorists. I would like to propose a
      "Virtual Town Meeting". I don't know how to set it up.
      But it could be
      connected to thepartysover.org web page. We would not be able to
      discuss
      specific cases but we could talk about what occurred broadly and what
      we'd like to see happen in the future.

      In the mean time here is what I know:

      THE CHARGES
      There are approximately 400 activists facing charges connected to the
      RNC demonstrations. Misdemeanor charges range from one charge to
      multiple charges that could add up to years in prison.
      36 activist face felony charges. Many have multiple charges that
      could
      lead to decades in prison.
      There are several folks who have particularly high felony charges, so
      high, that it's clear that these cases will be singled out as
      showcase
      trials for the DA (I am one of these cases). One demonstrator's
      case
      includes two felony #1 charges, one charge being assault on the police
      commissioner. These combined charges equal what amounts to a homicide
      charge. That could mean 50 years to life in prison.

      FRAMING DEMONSTRATORS
      I'd like to talk about this particular activist's case in our
      Virtual
      Town Meeting. He is an incredibly sweet and loving human rights
      activist. He could have been any one of us.
      He is from out of town, in Philly for a demonstration that he believed
      in, unclear of the landscape of the city. He found himself in the
      middle
      of a crushing police clampdown on activism. He didn't even know
      what
      the
      police commissioner looks like. He now faces a trial where it's
      his
      word
      against the police commissioner who's practically getting the
      nobel
      prize for beating the shit out of activists. The media is using this
      case and his life to urge us to separate ourselves from the
      "bad"
      activists. Please keep in mind that you could be picked out of a crowd
      at any given demonstration and given what ever charges the police
      choose.

      SOLIDARITY
      The demonstrators showed amazing strength and solidarity while in
      jail.
      We were faced with constant brutality and psychological abuse. We
      chanted, sang, and flushed the toilets enmass to hold together inside
      the jail while folks on the outside worked their butts off to get us
      out
      and to get our message out to corporate media.
      Now we are switching to a new form of solidarity, court solidarity.
      The
      defendant/activists and supporters are meeting and stratigizing ways
      work as a group in order to:
      ?start negotiations with the city to cut the charges and the
      fines.
      ?hold the corporate media accountable for the insidious media
      blackout
      that occurred during the demonstrations.
      ?make best use of the legal team that we are creating
      ?launch a civil case against the city.

      SOLIDARITY AND YOU
      To those of you who work for non-profits. Here are some of the long
      term
      consequences that will effect us all.
      The minimum budget to defend the activists targeted by the city is two
      hundred thousand dollars. Local funding is already tapped out. Funding
      for liberal causes has been effectively crushed. When non-profits go
      their local funders for projects, the cupboard will be bare. They will
      turn to blame those "terrorist protesters". The Republicans
      are the
      terrorists. The city DA and the police and the Mayor are the
      terrorists
      for imposing insane charges, bails and fines and squashing
      demonstrators
      right to protest*.
      You can help in solidarity by searching out new sources of funding to
      pay for the tremendous legal fees and court costs that we are facing.

      Here are some things that you can do:
      SEND CHECKS - DO LITTLE CHEASEY BENEFITS - HAVE A HOUSE PARTY
      get two of your friends to send checks to:
      PDAG (Philadelphia Direct Action Group)
      PO Box 40663
      Philadelphia, PA 19107-0063
      Make Checks Payable to:
      ISMCH

      ?W rite to Mayor Street and tell him that he is being perceived
      as a
      hypocrite for announcing that the police in LA were unjust for
      detaining
      his assistant while he sent thousands of police out to detain
      activists
      for two weeks in prison. Drop the charges or no vote for anyone that
      Street endorses.
      ´┐ŻWrite to Lynne Abraham and tell her that pushing to stifle free
      speech
      will not get her votes. Drop the charges.
      ?Tell both them that you or your organization supports the court
      solidarity (That'll scare `um)
      ?Write editorial letters. Let them know that you would like all
      of
      the
      information, not just what the republicans pay them to print.
      ?Call the Legal Office 215-704-0911 and ask how you can help
      with day
      to day tasks like a few hours of filing or calls or making food and
      bringing it to the volunteers who have been there every day.
      ?There are several court dates already set. We need folks to
      fill the
      court rooms, have pickets outside, do reenactments with puppets, set
      up
      phone zaps, work on media, build local support.

      I'm going to set up a hotmail account: eversolid@h... for folks
      who have questions about the RNC demos and the impact on the
      community.
      (You might ask, "What was the point Kate?" or There was one,
      it just
      got
      lost in the media black out) or you might say, "Send me a loose
      budget
      Kate, so I can go russell up more money" don't hold back from
      sending
      little money now. I'll work on getting you what you need. You
      might
      ask
      "How are you Kate? I'll try and funnel questions to activists
      who can
      answer them.
      The majority of the folks who were arrested are big hearted activists
      with high ideals and values.
      The majority of these folks are in their twenties. The point of the
      police crack down was to break folks' hearts and stop them from
      standing
      up for what is right.
      I will continue to be an activist
      Kate

      Email your boss can't read - sign up for free disinfo.net email
      at http://www.disinfo.com, your gateway to the underground