OCAP Jury Trial Appeal for Support

  • Mick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003
      --- OCAP <ocap@...> wrote:
      > Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:59:03 -0500 (EST)

      THE JURY TRIAL OF OCAP MEMBERS ACCUSED OF 'PLANNING A RIOT' IS UNDERWAY
      AND WE ARE APPEALING FOR YOUR HELP.

      The trial of Stefan Pilipa, Gaetan Heroux and John Clarke is now
      underway. Pretrial motions are now being heard and jury selection will
      take place shortly.

      Stefan and Gaetan are charged with 'participating in a riot' and face
      two years in jail. John has been accused of counseling to participate in
      a riot and counseling to assault police. He could go to jail for up to
      five years.

      These charges are drawn from the most reactionary and antiquated
      sections of the Canadian Criminal Code that date back to 18th Century
      Britain. They are not normal criminal charges but tools of political
      repression designed to crush opposition at times when the elites felt the
      lower orders had to be put back in their place with a sharp lesson. That
      they are being used in Tory governed Ontario in 2003 speaks volumes about
      the political climate in which OCAP is operating.

      On our website at http://www.ocap.ca we are posting letters that to the
      Ontario Attorney General, David Young, that have started to come in. We
      are asking all progressive organizations in Canada and internationally to
      send such messages. Young can be contacted at:

      Tel: (416) 326-2220

      Attorney General of Ontario
      720 Bay Street
      TORONTO, Ontario M5G 2K1

      Please send copies to OCAP at ocap@... or fax them to us at (416)
      925-9681.

      We will be sending out another update on the trial proceedings shortly.

      We thank-you for your support and solidarity.

      OCAP
      **
      Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
      517 College Street, Suite 234 Toronto, Ontario M5G 4A2
      416-925-6939 ocap@... www.ocap.ca
      **

      =====
      "We who preach love, and who struggle to achieve a state of society in which agreement and love are possible among men, suffer more than anybody by the necessity with which we are confronted of having to defend ourselves with violence against the violence of the ruling classes. However, to renounce a liberating violence, when it is the only way to end the daily sufferings and the savage carnage which afflict mankind, would be to connive at the class antagonisms we deplore and at the evils which arise from them." - Ericco Malatesta "Anarchism & Violence"

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com