Re: [smygo] Globalizing Resistance to Corporate Power

  • David Graeber
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2000
      >1. Chomsky either doesn't distinguish between state capitalism
      >and a free market, or else he does it very badly.
      >
      >2. Chomsky doesn't mention, either because he doesn't
      >understand or because he is uncomfortable admitting it, that
      >more free trade has helped raise standards of living in the
      >Third World, especially for the poorest of the poor.

      Yes, that's because it's not true. The period
      of structural adjustment since the '80s has led to
      continual declines in standards of living in the poor,
      lower rates of education and access to health care, in
      almost all of the countries most affected, in comparison
      with say the 1970s. The only main exceptions were the
      East Asian countries which did not adopt free market
      models but instead opted for state-directed protectionist
      policies and export-oriented industrial development,
      usually combined with strict capital controls. I'm not
      saying rah rah protectionism, but I am sick and tired
      of seeing lies repeated to justify brutality. I've seen
      the effect of these "free trade" "free market" policies
      with my own eyes and I work with people who have to see
      it every day, in dozens of different countries, and if
      someone else prefers to go only to sources which will cook
      the books to tell him what he wishes to be true, that's
      hardly my problem.

      >3. Chomsky doesn't seem to understand the positions of his
      >opponents, much less have any compassion for them. In
      >everything I've read by him, he comes across as the cliche'd
      >arrogant ivory-tower intellectual, cold and unfeeling.

      Chomsky is a person who spends just about every
      waking hour campaigning for human rights and justice as
      he understands them - yes, he's dedicated his entire life
      to the cause of human liberation and that's because he's
      cold and unfeeling.

      >4. This may be one reason why, for over 30 years as one of the
      >leading figures of the intellectual left, his influence has always been
      >marginal at best. I don't have much sympathy for Chomsky
      >personally, nor for his ideology, so this actually doesn't bother me,
      >but in order to be honorable I am willing to offer honest advice even
      >to those I disagree with (while hoping that they will refuse the offer,
      >so I can wash my hands of them without feeling guilty).

      Boy talk about projection...
      Dan, why on earth do you want to waste my time
      with this? I don't appreciate it. If you want to put up
      a discussion list and then place people who utterly disagree
      with the premises or even version of reality of those
      to whom the group is mainly directed, this is what's going
      to happen. Me, I want off.
      David
    • Clore Daniel C
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
        David Graeber wrote:

        > Dan, why on earth do you want to waste my time
        > with this? I don't appreciate it. If you want to put up
        > a discussion list and then place people who utterly disagree
        > with the premises or even version of reality of those
        > to whom the group is mainly directed, this is what's going
        > to happen. Me, I want off.

        and

        > Now if I have to deal with the same tedious
        > free-market ideology here as on the net I'm going to
        > have to ask Dan to take me off the list. This shit is
        > tiresome and I have _much_ better things to do with
        > my day. Mr. Fast is obviously a nice guy personally,
        > but for whatever psychological reasons he seems to have
        > decided to become an apologist for brutality - mainly,
        > it would seem, because of a wishful-thinking desire not
        > to have to face up to the ugliness of what really goes on
        > in the world. Whatever the reason, I don't want to know.
        > I am tired of debating with such people. Could this
        > please be the last?

        David, I started this list to create an alternative source for the
        things I post on the Usenet groups. I didn't intend it to be a
        discussion list, though I did approve the first few responses (I have to
        approve all messages for them to be sent). For now I'll ask that
        everyone limit responses to factual issues and things of that sort
        (David's response to the Anarkids post is I think I fairly good
        example). I don't think egroups.com provides a way to set up a separate
        list for discussion, which would be the ideal option. So for now,
        everyone please try to keep responses limited. Some of John Fast's

        PS: Do however feel free to send news items, communiqués, articles,
        essays, and things of that sort that you think would be of interest to
        those on the list. Also be aware that messages also go to the moderators
        at misc.activism.progressive and may be posted there.

        The Website of Lord Weÿrdgliffe:
        http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/index.html
        The Dan Clore Necronomicon Page:
        http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/necpage.htm

        "Tho-ag in Zhi-gyu slept seven Khorlo. Zodmanas
        zhiba. All Nyug bosom. Konch-hog not; Thyan-Kam
        not; Lha-Chohan not; Tenbrel Chugnyi not;
        Dharmakaya ceased; Tgenchang not become; Barnang
        and Ssa in Ngovonyidj; alone Tho-og Yinsin in
        night of Sun-chan and Yong-grub (Parinishpanna),
        -- The Book of Dzyan.