Re: [smygo] Anarchists Light the Way

  • David Graeber
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2002
      >News for Anarchists & Activists:
      >
      >Posted January 29th, 2002 1:00 PM
      >
      >The Village Voice
      >
      >As Moderate Groups Turn Down the Heat, Anarchists Light a
      >New Way for Dissent
      >
      >Keepers of the Flame
      >
      >by Esther Kaplan
      >
      >She arrived in the U.S. from India with her parents when she
      >was just a little kid -- long before she took the name
      >Warcry or started protesting institutions like the World
      >Economic Forum. It was 1976, the bicentennial, and right off
      >her dad bought her a small American flag. She says he saw
      >America as a land of promise, but she watched him work hard
      >as a researcher every day of his life only to die young. "I
      >don't want to live my whole life for the system," she says.
      >At college in the Bay Area, she read Emma Goldman for the
      >first time, and "it was like someone threw open a window in
      >my brain. Fresh air rushed in and I never went back." She
      >got her direct action chops tree-sitting in old growth
      >forests -- and then came Seattle, and the chance to take on
      >the "corporate death machine" itself.
      >
      >In an activist video about that now famous protest against
      >the World Trade Organization, there's a shot of Warcry, a
      >black scarf masking all but her radiant eyes, shouting
      >giddily, "I always wanted to be part of a revolution!" Yet
      >this same Warcry has kept that little flag all these years,
      >and still feels an affinity for her dad's struggles and
      >hopes. "The American dream is dead," she says. "But there
      >are certain American ideals -- freedom of speech, freedom of
      >assembly, freedom to dissent -- these are things I believe
      >in and would like to make real."

      Yeah, but she wants you to know they didn't reproduce
      her next line: "it's the only American flag I ever had that
      I didn't burn."
      (Now off I go to pick her up from jail... We still
      have a hundred people who've been held for days on what
      are basically jaywalking charges. So much for trying to be
      nice...)
      Davids
      David
    • heidi@dojo.tao.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2002
        i'd suggest to warcry that, of all flags, she might want to think about
        burning that little USA flag, that is, if she does indeed believe in
        freedom...