The Battle Over Zomia

  • Karma
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2011
      Scholars are enchanted by the notion of this anarchic region in Asia.
      But how real is it?

      http://chronicle.com/article/The-Battle-Over-Zomia/128845/

      By Ruth Hammond

      The region of Zomia had not been mapped for very long when people
      started quarreling over it. Political scientists, historians,
      geographers, anthropologists, and especially Southeast Asianists. Even a
      few anarchists weighed in.

      Much of the most recent debate has been spurred by the Yale University
      professor of political science and anthropology James C. Scott, who
      describes the region in his latest book, The Art of Not Being Governed:
      An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia (Yale University Press,
      2009). In the preface, he anticipates the criticism that will come
      "bearing down" on him for his unorthodox take on the practices of the
      region's hill peoples: "I'm the only one to blame for this book," he
      writes. "I did it."

      Two years later, the book's already considerable reach is being extended
      with new foreign editions. "I'm delighted with the attention it's
      gotten," says Scott. As for the criticism that keeps coming, in journals
      and at conferences, "I've got a thick skin."

      Zomia does not appear on any official map, for it is merely
      metaphorical. Scott identifies it as "the largest remaining region of
      the world whose peoples have not yet been fully incorporated into
      nation-states."

      [ ... ]

      Scott's argument that the purpose of state-making is about control of
      manpower, and not just territory, is one that will resonate a long
      while, she says in an interview, noting that she is expressing her own
      views and not those of the U.S. government.

      "It is a necessary corrective to the predominantly benign view of
      state-building," she says. Scott's book demonstrates that "the state
      itself can be harmful and despotic." ...