How the CIA created Osama bin Laden

  • glparramatta
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2011
      *From the archives ...*

      "Throughout the world ... its agents, client states and satellites are
      on the defensive --- on the moral defensive, the intellectual defensive,
      and the political and economic defensive. Freedom movements arise and
      assert themselves. They're doing so on almost every continent populated
      by man --- in the hills of Afghanistan, in Angola, in Kampuchea, in
      Central America ... [They are] freedom fighters."

      Is this a call to /jihad/ (holy war) taken from one of Islamic
      fundamentalist Osama bin Laden's notorious /fatwas/? Or perhaps a
      communique issued by the repressive Taliban regime in Kabul?

      In fact, this glowing praise of the murderous exploits of today's
      supporters of arch-terrorist bin Laden and his Taliban collaborators,
      and their holy war against the "evil empire", was issued by US President
      Ronald Reagan on March 8, 1985. The "evil empire" was the Soviet Union,
      as well as Third World movements fighting US-backed colonialism,
      apartheid and dictatorship.

      How things change. In the aftermath of a series of terrorist atrocities
      --- the most despicable being the mass murder of more than 6000 working
      people in New York and Washington on September 11 --- bin Laden the
      "freedom fighter" is now lambasted by US leaders and the Western mass
      media as a "terrorist mastermind" and an "evil-doer".

      Yet the US government refuses to admit its central role in creating the
      vicious movement that spawned bin Laden, the Taliban and Islamic
      fundamentalist terrorists that plague Algeria and Egypt --- and perhaps
      the disaster that befell New York.

      The mass media has also downplayed the origins of bin Laden and his
      toxic brand of Islamic fundamentalism.

      Full article at http://links.org.au/node/401

    • Gary
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2011
        I think it is a bit presumptuous to say that the CIA created Osama, other than in the sense that CIA activities with the Saudi and Pakistani intelligence services armed the Mujahideen and encouraged enthusiastic Muslims to join the anti-Soviet cause. The CIA did not create the Muslim Brotherhood to the best of my knowledge and it was their theoreticians who gave Osama the ideology. Osama already had engineering and managerial skills. It was the first Gulf War and the US troops sent into Saudi Arabia that set Obama off in the first place. But since he is dead, there will be no tortured confessions or political statements from the court room from which he will be able to justify himself. There is only another dead body.