3/19: VB Film/Mariposas en el Andamio/Butterflies on the Scaffold

  • FreetheCuban5 LibertadparalosCinco
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Join the Venceremos Brigadeand CUNY GRAD CENTER'SAELLA for our
      CUBA FILM SERIES

      Saturday March 19th—
      Mariposas en el Andamio/Butterflies on the Scaffold

      After the Revolution, gays were not respected in Cuba, but in the small Havana
      neighborhood of La Güinera, a few courageous women came to power and encouraged
      the gay community. Glamorous gowns fashioned from grain sacks and eyelashes made
      out of carbon paper are the reality of drag in Cuba. In La Güinera, gay
      transvestite performers have earned respect and status through creative work for
      the neighbourhood. On stage action and backstage preparation opens out into
      insightful interviews with community leaders, families, and the performers
      themselves. the question; can you be gay and accepted in Cuba?

      Peggy Gilpin, the Filmmaker, will be present!

      365 Fifth Avenue (corner of 34th street) 5th Floor 5414
       $7 Suggested Donation (none turned away)
      3-6pm BYOB  Free Popcorn

      Join us and bring your closest 100 friends!