Authoritarian Rightist "Libertarian" Hearts Mubarak, Hates "Anarchists"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2011

      [There's nothing like a "libertarian" standing up for a dictator and
      other state-corporate capitalist rulers. Note especially the harping on
      the term "anarchist".--DC]

      http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/03/the-medias-coverage-of-the-egypt-crisis-has-been-one-sided/
      The media’s coverage of the Egypt crisis has been one-sided
      12:55 PM 02/03/2011
      by Wayne Allyn Root

      The media has [sic] done it again. They’ve presented the wrong message
      to the American people about the Egyptian crisis, and it’s not just
      because of the liberal bias of the U.S. media. It’s also because liberal
      and conservative media outlets have the same agenda: to sensationalize
      stories in order to raise ratings. They’re interested in creating the
      story that sells best. Facts come second.

      The media has chosen to sell the storyline told by the rioters and
      anarchists in the streets. They have chosen to interview only one side,
      those participating in the protests. But is that representative of the
      true storyline? Is there another side to the story? Of course there is.
      [I'd bet that there isn't a single mass media outlet that *hasn't*
      presented the Mubarak regime's side.--DC]

      I just got off the phone with a longtime friend — a successful Egyptian
      business leader. He believes that several hundred thousand people in the
      streets do not represent the 80 million citizens of Egypt. They
      represent anarchists, communists, and Islamic extremists — all with an
      agenda and an axe to grind. He says if you polled the people of Egypt
      today, the majority would support Mubarak. He says that the backbone of
      Egypt — the business owners, small business community, and middle class
      — still supports Mubarak and the military. They are horrified by the
      mobs in the street and are shocked at Obama’s tepid response to the
      riots and the one-sided portrayal of the situation by the U.S. media.

      My friend asked a simple but powerful question: “If several hundred
      thousand people rioted on the streets of New York and demanded Obama be
      removed, would that represent all of America’s three hundred million
      citizens? Would the media report this meant the end of the Obama regime?”

      Good question. If the Million Man March or the Rally to Restore Honor
      had turned into a riot, would the media have painted a sympathetic
      portrait of the rioters? Would we cave to the demands of a relatively
      small number of rioters? I think not.

      Has the media bothered to interview anyone on the other side of this
      Egyptian crisis? Has anyone gone out of their way to interview the shop
      owners or home owners not rioting in the streets and ask them if they
      would rather be represented by Mubarak and the military or allow anarchy
      and mob rule to determine their leaders?
      ["Good heavens, it's anarchy!"--DC]

      My friend explained that if the Muslim Brotherhood takes over, he, his
      family, and virtually the entire business community will be forced to
      leave the country they love. If Egypt becomes a Muslim extremist
      country, Egypt’s #1 industry, tourism, will be extinguished. Egypt’s
      economy will be destroyed and those who think they are bad off now will
      experience true poverty and starvation.

      My good friend’s prediction is that in the end the military will end mob
      rule and remain in control, choosing to protect tourism and the business
      community. If Mubarak actually leaves, he will hand-pick his successor
      from the ranks of the Egyptian military and institute some moderate reforms.

      The lessons we can all learn from this crisis:

      1) Media coverage is often based on sensationalism, not facts. Are you
      certain who the good guys are here? I know I’m not.
      [But Root sure *sounds* like he's certain that Mubarak and his wealthy
      supporters are the good guys.--DC]

      2) It is not the U.S. government’s duty or right to determine other
      nation’s leaders. Besides, we have an awful track record — see Vietnam,
      Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. At most we should have influence behind the
      scenes and always in the direction of moderation, reform and democracy.
      [And dictators like Mubarak!--DC]

      3) We should dramatically cut or end foreign aid. The $2 billion per
      year we borrow from China to give to Egypt is a terrible waste of
      taxpayer money. And if we’ve bet wrong on Mubarak, and our sophisticated
      military equipment falls into the hands of Muslim extremists, we’ve made
      a tragic error.
      [For once Root has a point, however poorly stated.--DC]

      4) Obama’s ban on offshore oil drilling is a disaster and a true threat
      to our national security. We must drill, drill and drill some more to
      capitalize on our own rich natural resources, so we are not dependent on
      our potential enemies for the oil that fuels our economy.
      [Yup, corporate welfare is the answer to every problem! And eff the
      environment!--DC]

      5) Finally, perhaps we should appreciate our friends in Israel. Perhaps
      we should point out loudly and strongly that in Israel women and gays
      have equal rights. Perhaps we should point out that Israeli Arabs have a
      better life, more religious freedom, more free speech, and more economic
      freedom than the citizens of any Arab country. Perhaps we should point
      out that the average per capita income in Israel is $26,600 versus
      $5,500 in Egypt. Perhaps we should point out that Israel represents an
      experiment in freedom — just like America — and perhaps we should
      encourage the Arab world to emulate that experiment.
      [Well, they've pretty much been emulating Israel's treatment of
      Palestinians (who apparently don't count as "Israeli Arabs", even though
      ruled by Israel).--DC]

      Wayne Allyn Root is a former Libertarian Vice Presidential nominee. He
      now serves as Chairman of the Libertarian National Congressional
      Committee. He is the best-selling author of “The Conscience of a
      Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold &
      Tax Cuts.” His web site: www.ROOTforAmerica.com

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O