UK, US Professors Support Arab Uprising

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 5:43 AM

      http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20110202052817
      IRNA
      UK, US professors support Arab uprising

      London - A collection of US and UK professors joined together Tuesday to
      express solidarity with the series of uprisings taking place across the
      Arab world.

      "We offer our support to those courageous young demonstrators," said the
      professors, including Noam Chomsky from Massachusetts Institute of
      Technology.

      "The Jasmine revolution in Tunisia has offered much hope across the Arab
      world. We have seen young and hopeful demonstrators in Jordan, Egypt and
      Saudi Arabia, calling for much-needed reform and democracy in their own
      countries," they said.

      "Their aspirations and hopes are legitimate and the Jasmine revolution
      has shown that it may be possible to achieve them," the professors said
      in a joint letter published in the Guardian Tuesday.

      Their expression of support comes as the world focus remained the
      week-long protests on Egypt, being by far the largest Arab state of more
      than 80 million people.

      The signatories, including six British and four American professors
      together with Professor Rainer Baubock from the European University
      Institute, condemned the violent repression of the demonstration.

      They called on "western governments, especially EU members and the US,
      to respect the Arab world's desire for change, and to halt their
      financial and military assistance to autocratic regimes in the region."

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O