Add "FOOD DEMOCRACY NOW" To Causes

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011
      It seems as of late I am getting more and more activist. I am asking
      that those who agree will add "Food Democracy Now" to their list of
      progressive causes, and ask their friends to do the same, and to ask
      your friends to ask your friends to do the same, and so forth. Also I
      remind you that USDA Organic means that the foods are not genetically
      engineered. Also I remind you that the Biotech companies like Monsanto,
      Bayer, and so forth, who genetically engineer foods have absolutely no
      regard for basic decent human virtues--NONE WHATSOEVER!!! Until genetic
      engineering of our foods is under the control of the people then I
      believe they should all be banned. These corporations are ruthless and
      will only make food more scarce in the long run, if not already. Thank
      You for spreading the word!"It only takes a spark, to get a fire
      going..." :)Mark

      Tell President Obama
      WE are United! - It's time to stand up to Monsanto!
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=1>
      [border-top-width: 0px;border-right-width: 0px;border-bottom-width:
      0px;border-left-width: 0px;border-style: initial;border-color:
      initial;border-top-style: none;border-right-style:
      none;border-bottom-style: none;border-left-style: none;]
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=2>
      Don't let Monsanto's GMOs Destroy Organic Dairy
      and our democracy!
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=3>
      Tell President Obama to instruct the USDA to immediately ban Monsanto's
      GMO alfalfa from being planted and work to ensure that the organic
      industry is protected from genetic contamination and loss of profits and
      stand up for the basic rights for Americans to know what is in their
      food and how it's produced.
      [border-top-width: 0px;border-right-width: 0px;border-bottom-width:
      0px;border-left-width: 0px;border-style: initial;border-color:
      initial;border-top-style: none;border-right-style:
      none;border-bottom-style: none;border-left-style: none;]
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=4>
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=5>
      Take a stand for Farmer and Citizen Rights - Tell President Obama to
      reject Monsanto's GMO alfalfa.
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=5>

      Dear Mark,

      Last week the Obama Administration chose to fully deregulate Monsanto's
      Roundup Ready alfalfa, despite overwhelming public protest. In less than
      6 days, more than 96,000 Food Democracy Now! members signed a letter
      asking President Obama and Secretary Vilsack to reject Monsanto's
      genetically modified alfalfa based on concerns to consumer health,
      impacts to the environment and lack of adequate scientific testing, but
      they chose to cave to corporate pressure rather than protect the rights
      of America's farmers and citizens.

      Despite this bad news, we're refusing to back down and are going to
      continue to press President Obama and Secretary Vilsack to rescind their
      unwise decision that not only restricts farmers' ability to choose what
      to grow on their land, but is also entirely unnecessary as currently
      more than 93% of alfalfa grown in the U.S. does not use or need chemical
      herbicides at all, which is the argument for the necessity of Roundup
      Ready products in the first place.

      We need our message of unity and the rejection of this unnecessary and
      harmful technology to spread far and wide, please sign here:

      http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=7
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=6>

      As has already been widely acknowledged by the U.S. Supreme Court, the
      USDA, scientists and active farmers, the planting of GMO Roundup Ready
      alfalfa will lead to contamination of conventional and organic crops,
      creating significant economic loss for important export markets and
      organic dairy and beef farmers.

      While we are deeply disappointed in President Obama and Secretary
      Vilsack's decision, we were fortunate enough to be at the 31st Annual
      Ecological Farming Conference at Asilomar in Pacific Grove, California
      where pioneering farmers and leaders in organic and sustainable
      agriculture gather every year. When we received word of the announcement
      there was an immediate and collective response from the farmers and
      members inf this community that day that vowed to fight until this
      injustice was exposed to the world and ultimately overruled.

      Over the course of the next few days, several dozen farmers and
      individuals from organizations working to promote best agricultural
      practices helped craft a letter to President Obama and Secretary Vilsack
      calling on them to reconsider and reverse their decision.

      As members of this movement, we were greatly encouraged by the spirit of
      cooperation and the resolve that immediately took place as we worked
      together to craft a collective response.

      In an effort to help spread that good will and resolve to fight this
      unjust decision we experienced this past weekend, we'd like you to join
      in this fight to protect the democratic rights of farmers and the
      citizens who support them.

      If we are to win the fight ahead, we must join together and be united
      going forward. It's time that President Obama and those in Washington
      learn that the rights of farmers and American citizens mean more than
      the unjust profits of Monsanto, which increasingly put the livelihoods
      of farmers and the integrity of our democracy at risk.

      Please take a moment to sign this letter inititated by our organic and
      sustainable farmers and leaders, then pass it on to friends.

      http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=9
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=8>

      Farmers attending EcoFarm, the largest organic farming conference on the
      West Coast, roundly criticized the Obama Administration's ill-conceived
      decision. Two California farmers stated:

      "We are appalled by this decision," said pioneering organic farmer Larry
      Jacobs, President of Jacobs Farm-Del Cabo. "This is a sad day for the
      future of the sustainable agriculture."

      "As an organic farmer and an organic dairy processor, the decision to
      deregulate genetically engineered alfalfa is devastating for our
      industry and it could put our business at risk," said Albert Straus,
      President and owner of Straus Family Creamery.

      Condemnation of the bad decision quickly reached beyond the conference
      as one attendee heard from a leading voice in the movement, journalist
      Michael Pollan, who added:

      "It's hard to understand why the Obama Administration would put the
      organic industry at risk for the sake of an unnecessary and soon-to-be
      obsolete product like Roundup Ready alfalfa. This is a bad solution to a
      problem that doesn't exist, since 93 percent of alfalfa hay is grown
      without any herbicide at all," confided Pollan.

      Finally, EcoFarm President Thomas Wittman, an organic farmer himself for
      over 25 years concluded what many at the conference felt:

      "The ruling by the USDA Secretary disregards the organic farmers, the
      dairy industry, and the environment, and I am confident that the
      decision will be reversed in court," said Wittman.

      While the USDA's decision to approve Monsanto's GMO alfalfa was a
      temporary blow to some at the conference, many vowed to redouble their
      efforts in working to defeat the Obama administration's latest assualt
      on farmers' and citizens' right to access to safe, healthy, organic and
      sustainable food.

      It's time to present a united front against Monsanto and out of touch
      politicians. Please take a moment to join us in telling President Obama
      to reverse the approval for Monsanto's GMO alfalfa. Your action today
      could help save organic integrity for future generations.

      http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=11
      <http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/337?akid=294.218988.V5uJDN&t=10>

      Thanks for taking the time today to stand up for organic farmers and the
      integrity of the organic industry. Please forward this email to any
      family member or friend that you know cares about the future of our food
      and the planet.

      Thanks for participating in food democracy,

      Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! Team