Say "No, Thanks" to the Arrogant Monster Banks

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2010

      http://www.csindy.com/colorado/say-no-thanks-to-the-arrogant-monster-banks/Content?oid=1951998
      December 09, 2010 Columns » Hightower
      Say 'no thanks' to the arrogant monster banks
      Lowdown
      by Jim Hightower

      Do you love your megabank?

      I'm talking about your local branch of CitiChaseWellsMorganofAmerica —
      or some similar financial conglomeration. As you might have learned from
      experience, they have thousands of bankers who specialize in finding
      innovative, new ways to gouge consumers worldwide.

      From ripoff fees to refusing to refinance home loans, the friendly
      slogan of these giants is: "We don't care. We're to big to fail!"

      Unfortunately, Washington is too cowed by Wall Street money to cut these
      arrogant and avaricious giants down to size, but — guess what? — you and
      I can do it.

      We can make them smaller, one deposit at a time, by simply moving our
      money out of their clutches. After all, it is our money!

      You can join the thousands of Americans who are walking away from the
      don't-give-a-damn financial fortresses and switching their accounts to
      community banks, credit unions, socially-responsible investment firms,
      and other banking entities eager to treat you like a valued customer.

      A recent survey found that the biggest banking conglomerates — such as
      JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, and Bank of America — have sunk to their
      lowest consumer satisfaction level in years. Sixty-six percent of
      customers say they'd consider taking their money out of those grasping
      empires.

      Appealing alternatives exist all across America. At credit unions, for
      example, late fees and overdraft fees average only half of what the big
      chain banks charge, and credit unions offer loans with interest rates
      that are 20-percent lower than those assessed by the giants.

      Why put up with megabank megalomania? Here are two websites to help you
      find a local bank that gives a damn about you and your community:
      http://findacreditunion.com , and http://moveyourmoney.info/find-a-bank .

      Jim Hightower is the best-selling author of Swim Against the Current:
      Even a Dead Fish Can Go With the Flow, on sale now from Wiley
      Publishing. For more information, visit jimhightower.com.

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O