Re: [smygo] A Good Chance to Legalize Marijuana

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2010
      Another good piece from Ken Knabb. Here in Oregon, a measure to legalize
      marijuana outright failed to get enough signatures to make it on the
      ballot -- even though polls show that a majority support legalization.
      However, we do have a measure to legalize dispensaries for medical
      marijuana, which will make life much easier for the seriously ill
      individuals who need it (currently allowed to grow their own, provide it
      to other patients without compensation, or register a grower who can
      provide them but cannot take pay other than costs -- so all sales are
      still absolutely forbidden). Not only that, the Oregon Democratic Party
      has endorsed the measure to legalize dispensaries, and some Democrats in
      the state house are talking about introducing legislation to legalize
      marijuana outright. (The Wall Street Journal has a story about Democrats
      trying to increase supporter turnout at elections by referring
      marijuana-related ballot measures, but doesn't mention what's going on
      in Oregon.)

      I still won't suggest voting for Democrats, but I cannot imagine any
      good excuse to fail to vote for good ballot measures.

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O