Vancouver: anarchist "ringleader" arrested in Olympic violence

  • C
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2010
      Submitted by WW4 Report on Wed, 02/17/2010

      http://www.ww4report.com/node/8346

      Guillame Joseph-Marc Beaulieu, 27 of Vancouver, has been arrested as the
      "ringleader" of the "Black Bloc" anarchists who rioted in the city in
      protests against the Winter Olympics Feb. 14. He is charged with mischief
      and faces fines of over $5,000. Lliam Brander, 27, of North Vancouver has
      been charged with assault. The investigation continues and further arrests
      may be pending, police say. Among 11 arrested so far, one is from
      Shoreline, Wash. He has been charged with possession of weapons and handed
      over to immigration. (Vancouverite, Feb. 16)

      Up to 300 masked and black-clad young people rampaged through Vancouver as
      the games got underway, overturning mail boxes, spray-painting vehicles
      and smashing windows at a department store in a protest billed as an
      effort to "Clog the Arteries of Capitalism." (Reuters, Feb. 14)

      A Feb. 15 communiqué from the Black Bloc read: "The media are now busy
      denouncing the political violence of property destruction, such as the
      smashing of a Hudson's Bay Company window, as though it were the only act
      of violence happening in this city. They forget that economic violence
      goes on daily in Vancouver. People are suffering and dying from
      preventable causes because welfare doesn't give enough to afford rent,
      food or medicine, and because authorities routinely ignore the medical
      emergencies of poor or homeless individuals. This economic violence has
      gotten worse as we lose housing and social services because of the Olympic
      Games." (Vancouver Observer, Feb. 15)

      “Today’s terrorist is tomorrow’s freedom fighter.”
      — SHAC leader Kevin Kjonaas, at the Animal Rights 2002 convention

      humans bring tears to my eyes and vomit to my throat.

      Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/humansrcruel

      http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/hlssucks

      "If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time…But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."
      --Lila Watson

      "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love
      to our hearts, and warmth to our souls" -Colleen Klaum

      "Secret prisons, secret flights, the CIA tramples human rights; reverse hanging, what gives? If that's not torture, what the fuck is?"