RIP Colin Ward (1924-2010)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2010

      http://fiveleavespublications.blogspot.com/2010/02/anarchist-writer-colin-ward-who-died-on.html
      Friday, 12 February 2010

      The anarchist writer Colin Ward, who died on the night of 11th February,
      was indirectly responsible for the existence of Five Leaves. We’d met
      years before, and like several people I later met, I’d been vaguely
      collecting Colin’s Anarchy (first series), still the best anarchist
      magazine produced in this country. A small group of us in Nottingham,
      publishing as Old Hammond Press, brought out a couple of pamphlets by
      Colin, one on housing, one on William Morris’s ideas of work. But in
      1994 I got so fed up waiting for Faber to bring out the paperback of The
      Allotment: its landscape and culture that I offered to buy the rights.
      Colin said that as long as his co-writer, David Crouch, was in agreement
      he’d be pleased if Faber were to hand them over, and if it helped, the
      co-authors would do without royalties as they were simply pleased to
      have the book available in paperback.

      Well, thousands of copies later Colin never regretted his generosity,
      and as well being the first book published by Five Leaves (though
      initially, for the sake of any bibliographers reading, Mushroom
      Bookshop), for years The Allotment kept the press afloat. We went on to
      publish Colin’s Arcadia for All (co-written with Dennis Hardy), Talking
      Anarchy (with David Goodway) and Cotters and Squatters. Colin also wrote
      the introduction to our edition of The London Years by Rudolf Rocker,
      who of course he knew. Rocker in turn knew Peter Kropotkin, whose Mutual
      Aid had such an influence on Colin as a political thinker. I’d hoped
      that we’d manage to fit in an edition of Colin’s Goodnight Campers! (on
      the social history of the holiday camp) while he was still with us, and
      his wonderful book on Chartres that was only ever published for Folio
      Society members. They will appear.

      Five Leaves was not his only publisher by any means. Freedom Press
      brought out - and kept in print - his classic Anarchy in Action and
      other books on housing, social policy and - in advance of his time - a
      book on ecological transport. Housing, environment, transport,
      architecture, unofficial uses of the landscape, the education of
      children - Colin’s subjects were always full of positive examples of the
      way some people live now, and the way we could all live later. He had no
      time for what he called tittle-tattle. Colin developed a kind of Wardite
      politics and a close and loyal following ranging from George Mombiot to
      young libertarians who saw that there was more to life than permanent
      protest.

      There will be many full obituaries, in the broadsheet, the anarchist and
      the housing press in particular. There are so many things that could be
      mentioned here, but I’ll simply say that every conversation with Colin
      was rewarding, educational and fun. He was the most generous of people,
      strengthened by his many years with Harriet, an activist and writer in
      her own right. We have been proud to have worked with Colin over many
      years and will miss him.

      Ken Worpole - another Five Leaves writer (who, like Colin, has been
      published by several other publishers) - will be fronting communications
      about any events and memorials. Let us know if you would like to be kept
      informed. Harriet will be putting details of Colin’s funeral in the
      Guardian. Our condolences to Harriet and the family.

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O