Re: ::: Flaxscrip & Hempscrip :::

  • terry12622000
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      There is one other way to issue credit that I think most people over
      look. That is through common stock and one of the postives of common
      stock to the person or group issuing the stock is that if things
      don't work out you don't have to pay the money back which could make
      it better in many cases than even a loan with no
      interest.
      On the other hand one of the postives for the buyer of
      common stock is the rate of return either through capital gains,
      dividends or both can be much higher than lending money out at
      interest and especially lending money out with no
      interest.
      Of course most people would perfer not to give controling
      interest of themself or even to their ventures such as a business, a
      profession or job but the fact is common stock can be issued to give
      the buyer no controling interest and very little if any voting
      rights. Most traders and investors could care less about having
      controling interest in a company or even a vote as long as they can
      vote with their common stock purchase by selling it
      quickly.
      common stock certicates could even be used as money if the
      volitality of the stocks is not great.--- In smygo@yahoogroups.com,
      Dan Clore <clore@...> wrote:

      > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
      >
      > ::: Flaxscrip & Hempscrip :::
      >
      > by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
      >
      > Flaxscrip was first introduced into Discordian groups by the
      mysterious
      > Malaclypse the Younger, K.S.C., in 1968. Hempscrip followed the
      year
      > after, issued by Dr. Mordecai Malignatus, K.N.S. (In the novel,
      taking
      > one of our few liberties with historical truth, we move these
      coinages
      > backward in time and attribute hempscrip to the Justified Ancients
      of
      > Mummu.)
      >
      > The *idea* behind flaxscrip, of course, is as old as history; there
      was
      > private money long before there was government money. The first
      > revolutionary (or reformist) use of this idea, as a check against
      > galloping usury and high interest rates, was the foundation
      of "Banks of
      > Piety" by the Dominican order of the Catholic Church in the late
      middle
      > ages. (See Tawney, _Religion and the Rise of Capitalism_.) The
      > Dominicans, having discovered that preaching against usury did not
      deter
      > the usurer, founded their own banks and provided loans without
      interest;
      > this "ethical competition" (as Josiah Warren later called it) drove
      the
      > commercial banks out of the areas where the Dominicans practiced
      it.
      > Similar private currency, loaned at a low rate of interest (but not
      at
      > no interest), was provided by Scots banks until the British
      government,
      > acting on behalf of the monopoly of the Bank of England, stopped
      this
      > exercise of free enterprise. (See Muellen, _Free Banking_.) The
      same
      > idea was tried successfully in the American colonies before the
      > Revolution, and again was suppressed by the British government,
      which
      > some heretical historians regard as a more direct cause of the
      American
      > Revolution than the taxes mentioned in most schoolbooks. (See Ezra
      > Pound, _Impact_, and additional sources cited therein.)
      >
      > During the nineteenth century many anarchists and individualists
      > attempted to issue low-interest or no-interest private currencies.
      > _Mutual Banking_, by Colonel William Greene, and _True
      Civilization_, by
      > Josiah Warren, are records of two such attempts, by their
      instigators.
      > Lysander Spooner, an anarchist who was also a constitutional
      lawyer,
      > argued at length that Congress had no authority to suppress such
      private
      > currencies (see his _Our Financiers: Their Ignorance, Usurpations
      and
      > Frauds_). A general overview of such efforts at free enterprise,
      soon
      > crushed by the Capitalist State, is given by James M. Martin in his
      _Men
      > Against the State_, and by Rudolph Rocker in _Pioneers of American
      > Freedom_ (an ironic title, since his pioneers all lost their major
      > battles). Lawrence Labadie, of Suffern, N.Y., has collected (but
      not yet
      > published) records of 1,000 such experiments; one of the present
      > authors, Robert Anton Wilson, unearthed in 1962 the tale of a
      > no-interest currency, privately issued, in Yellow Springs, Ohio,
      during
      > the 1930s depression. (This was an emergency measure by certain
      local
      > businessmen, who did not fully appreciate the principle involved,
      and
      > was abandoned as soon as the "tight-money" squeeze ended and
      Roosevelt
      > began flooding us all with Federal Reserve notes.)
      >
      > It is traditional among liberal historians to dismiss such
      endeavors as
      > "funny-money schemes." They have never explained why government
      money is
      > any less hilarious. (That used in the U.S. now [1975], for
      instance, is
      > actually worth 47 percent of its "declared" face value). All money
      is
      > funny, if you stop to think about it, but no private currency,
      competing
      > on a free market, could ever be quite so comical (and tragic) as
      the
      > notes now bearing the magic imprint of Uncle Sam -- and backed only
      by
      > his promise (or threat) that, come hell or high water, by God he'll
      make
      > it good by taxing our descendants into the infinite generation to
      pay
      > the interest on it. The National Debt, so called, is of course,
      nothing
      > else but the debt we owe the bankers who "loaned" this money to
      Uncle
> [...]
      this
      > loan. Hempscrip or even acidscrip or peyotescrip could never be
      quite so
      > clownish as this system, which only the Illuminati (if they really
      > exist) could have dreamed up. The system has but one advantage: It
      makes
      > bankers richer every year. Nobody else, from the industrial
      capitalist
      > or "captain of industry" to the coal-miner, profits from it in any
      way,
      > and all pay the taxes, which become the interest payments, which
      makes
      > the bankers richer. If the Illuminati did not exist, it would be
      > necessary to invent them -- such a system can be explained in no
      other
      > way, except by those cynics who hold that human stupidity is
      infinite.

      > The idea behind hempscrip is more radical than the notion of
      > private-enterprise currency per se. Hempscrip, as employed in the
      novel,
      > depreciates; it is, thus, not merely a *no-interest* currency, but
      > *negative-interest* currency. The lender literally pays the
      borrower to
      > take it away for a while. It was invented by German business-
      economist
      > Silvio Gesell, and is described in his _Natural Economic Order_ and
      in
      > professor Irving Fisher's _Stamp Script_.
      >
      > Gresham's Law, like most of the "laws" taught in State-supported
      public
      > schools, is not quite true (at least, not in the form in which it
      is
      > usually taught). *"Bad money drives out good" holds only in
      > authoritarian societies, not in libertarian societies.* (Gresham
      was
      > clear-minded enough to state explicitly that he was only describing
      > authoritarian societies: *his* formulation of his own "Law" begins
      with
      > the words "If the king issueth two moneys ...," thereby implying
      the
      > State must exist if the "Law" is to operate.) *In a libertarian
      society,
      > good money will drive out the bad.* This Utopian proposition --
      which
      > the sane reader will regard with acute skepticism -- has been seen
      to be
      > sound by a rigorously logical demonstration, based on the axioms of
      > economics, in _The Cause of Business Depressions_ by Hugo Bilgrim
      and
      > Edward Levy.
      >
      > [footnote]
      > Economists can "prove" all sorts of things from axioms and few of
      them
      > turn out to be true. Yes. We saved for a footnote the information
      that
      > at least four empirical demonstrations of the reverse of Gresham's
      Law
      > are on record. Three of them, employing small volunteer communities
      in
      > frontier U.S.A. circa 1830-1860, are recorded in Josiah Warren's
      _True
      > Civilization_. The fourth, employing contemporary college students
      in a
      > psychology laboratory, is the subject of a recent Master's thesis
      by
      > associate professor Don Werkheiser of Central State College,
      > Wilberforce, Ohio.
      >
      > [Appendix Vau of The Illuminatus! Trilogy]
      > http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0440539811/ref=nosim/thedanclorenecro
      >
      > --
      > Dan Clore
      >
      > My collected fiction: _The Unspeakable and Others_
      > http://tinyurl.com/2gcoqt
      > Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
      > http://tinyurl.com/292yz9
      > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
      >
      > Skipper: Professor, will you tell these people who is
      > in charge on this island?
      > Professor: Why, no one.
      > Skipper: No one?
      > Thurston Howell III: No one? Good heavens, this is anarchy!
      > -- _Gilligan's Island_, episode #6, "President Gilligan"

    • DanC
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2011
[...]

        depreciates; it is, thus, not merely a *no-interest* currency, but a