Freegans & FreeCycling Gain Fans

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11 4:40 AM

      October 9, 2008, 5:00PM EST text size: TT
      Freegans and FreeCycling Gain Fans
      "Freegans" are trading in consumerism for dumpster-diving
      by Michelle Conlin

      Josh Corlew's grocery bill is zero. The furniture in his Nashville home
      didn't cost him anything, either. His fridge, TV, and microwave -- all
      free. It's been two years now since he last bought the ingredients for
      his signature sausage dish. Corlew, a 26-year-old nonprofit manager, has
      effectively dropped out of Consumer Nation. He goes shopping in the
      disposable culture's garbage instead.

      Corlew is part of a growing number of Americans for whom getting stuff
      for free is next to godliness. Yes, most everyone is cutting back. But
      these folks take frugality to its extreme. In cities like New York and
      wealthy suburbs like Grosse Pointe, Mich., and Plano, Tex., it is
      possible to live like a king (well, a duke anyway) out of a dumpster.
      Sushi, cashmere sweaters, even Apple computers -- all for the taking.
      "We're used to fulfilling most of our needs through the marketplace,"
      says Syracuse University culture professor Robert Thompson. "But now
      with technology there is access to more that is free than in any time in
      the history of the world."

      As you might expect, the free movement is heavy on idealism. None more
      so than the so-called freegans. They believe America's consumer society
      is inherently corrupt and wasteful, and they want no part of it.
      Skeptics might see another motive at work: Freegans don't pay for
      anything. Corlew, who prefers the term "conscious consumer" over
      freegan, insists his "bin diving" or "dumpstering" is as much a war on
      wretched excess as anything else. "This is about distancing myself from
      the consumerism of America," says Corlew. "Every time we buy something,
      we're saying we support the system that brought it about."

      Alexi Ahrens, who lives near Minneapolis, is less idealistic about her
      secret hobby. "It's a little bit of adventure in suburbia," she says.
      Ahrens, 33, does her rounds between 2 and 3 a.m. and scavenges for food,
      clothing, and furniture (she once found a Tiffany lamp, but gave it to a

      More recently she turned her dumpstering into a kind of business. When
      her computer technician job at a financial-planning firm became
      part-time, Ahrens went into overdrive. She started haunting corporate
      late-model processing equipment, computers, and unused office supplies.
      Ahrens sold them on eBay for $2,000.

      Not bad, right? But what if you don't want to climb into a giant garbage
      can to get your free groceries or barely used PC? Maybe Freecycle is
      more your thing. A Craigslist-type Web site, Freecycle lets people post
      items they don't want and ones they do. Giveaways have included
      everything from a camping trailer to a pair of rats. Freecycle now has 6
      million members internationally, and since Wall Street imploded it has
      been registering 50,000 more each week, up from 25,000 previously.
      Freecycle and the Freegans are among the fastest-growing groups on Yahoo!

      Many of the adherents of the free movement say they got the thrift trait
      from their Depression-era forebears. "I'm a penny-pincher. I work hard
      for my money, and I want it to last as long as possible," says
      58-year-old Roger Latzgo, who built his Pennsylvania home entirely of
      materials he found for free. "I wanted to free myself from the weight of
      a mortgage, the root of which, by the way, means death."

      Think this sounds crazy, dear manager? The free movement is already
      starting to invade the workplace. At Yahoo, Freecycle events -- where
      employees swap their stuff—are all the rage. They have featured plenty
      of Prada clothes, original Eames chairs -- even founder David Filo's
      smelly adidas sneakers.

      Conlin is the editor of the Working Life Dept. at BusinessWeek .