Looney-Tunes over Terror

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2008

      [Someone published by mainstream newspapers actually gets it.--DC]

      http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.pitts08jun08,0,2855105.story
      Looney-tunes over terror
      by Leonard Pitts Jr.
      June 8, 2008

      You've seen this gag in a hundred old cartoons: Cat turns to flee angry
      dog, steps on a rake instead, knocks himself silly. It's not
      sophisticated humor, but it is a visceral illustration of an abiding
      truth: Panic can make you hurt yourself.

      Some of us, I think, need reminding. Consider the case of Rachael Ray
      and the scarf that made people scream.

      Ms. Ray is the preternaturally perky host of cooking shows on the Food
      Network -- and a spokeswoman for Dunkin' Donuts.

      In that capacity, she wore the aforementioned scarf around her neck in
      an online ad -- and people started screaming. It seems that in the eyes
      of conservative columnist Michelle Malkin and a handful of blogosphere
      blowhards, the scarf resembled a kaffiyeh, the Arab headdress most
      infamously worn by PLO leader Yasser Arafat.

      Me, I thought the paisley scarf resembled a paisley scarf, but then, I
      haven't been taking my paranoid lunatic pills lately, so what do I know?
      Those with more discerning vision cried foul, and late last month the
      doughnut maker crumbled, pulling the ad lest anyone assume the company
      was selling mass terror along with its iced coffees and crullers.

      As it happens, at roughly the same time, the Guardian newspaper in
      London was reporting the case of Rizwaan Sabir, a 22-year-old student
      working on his master's at Nottingham University. Mr. Sabir was
      arrested, held for six days, and subjected to what he describes as
      psychological torture after he downloaded a copy of an al-Qaida training
      manual.

      Also arrested: a university administrator, Hicham Yezza, on whose
      computer the manual was stored. It seems Mr. Sabir had asked Mr. Yezza
      to print the 1,500-page document because he could not afford to.

      But neither man will be prosecuted for terrorism. According to
      university officials, the materials Mr. Sabir downloaded were directly
      related to research for his degree. You know where Mr. Sabir says he got
      the offending manual? From a U.S. government Web site. In other words,
      it was publicly available and hardly top secret.

      Taken together, these two episodes neatly illustrate what much of our
      world has become in the almost seven years since September 2001. On the
      one hand, silly, able to see terrorism hiding behind every bush and hen
      house. On the other hand, petrified, convinced that overreaction is the
      only reaction. So we look suspiciously at everyone whose name is not
      Smith, Johnson or Jones, inspect scarves for terroristic subtext, but
      glance the other way as torture is committed, intolerance is embraced,
      habeas corpus is ignored and freedoms of speech, dissent and privacy are
      abridged.

      It's like we have awakened into the 1950s. The paranoia is there, the
      gratuitous ruination of people's lives is there, the abiding and
      unrelenting fear is there. The only thing missing is Sen. Joseph
      McCarthy asking, "Are you now or have you ever been...?"

      Apparently, Colin L. Powell was wrong. "We're Americans," he said after
      the 9/11 attacks, "we don't walk around terrified."

      But we do. And because we do, we injure ourselves as surely as a cartoon
      cat panicked by a cartoon dog. So that here we sit, banged up something
      fierce: the rule of law broken; moral authority blackened; freedoms
      fractured; seriousness of purpose on life support.

      All in pursuit of a chimera called security that we have yet to capture
      and never will. So we might as well go back to being America. I mean,
      when the zeitgeist is indistinguishable from a cartoon, something is wrong.

      To put it another way, let me repeat: Panic will make you hurt yourself.
      What's it tell you that we have yet to learn something Bugs Bunny
      figured out a long time ago?

      Leonard Pitts Jr. is a columnist for The Miami Herald. His column
      appears regularly in The Sun. His e-mail is lpitts@....

      http://tinyurl.com/2gcoqt