Re: Digest Number 2283

  • glparramatta
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
      No offence Sean, but you have been reading too capitalist press
      reports. There are no term limits for Prime ministers in Australia,
      Britain, New Zealand or many other countries. Why are term limits
      necessarily more democratic? The idiotic US press has lied about this
      meaning Chavez will be ``president for life''. That is rubbish. Had
      the referendum passed, Chavez would be able to stand again but he has
      to be ELECTED every time. If the people did not want him, he would be
      voted out. Just like in many other countries.

      Norm.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        Top-posting sucks.

        glparramatta wrote:
        > No offence Sean, but you have been reading too capitalist press
        > reports. There are no term limits for Prime ministers in Australia,
        > Britain, New Zealand or many other countries. Why are term limits
        > necessarily more democratic? The idiotic US press has lied about this
        > meaning Chavez will be ``president for life''. That is rubbish. Had
        > the referendum passed, Chavez would be able to stand again but he has
        > to be ELECTED every time. If the people did not want him, he would be
        > voted out. Just like in many other countries.

        True, but it doesn't address the question posed:

        > --- In smygo@yahoogroups.com, "Sean M. Boomer" <diocletian2001@...> wrote:
        >> <snip long discussion regarding Chavez>
        >>
        >> I hate to belabour the obvious, but if Chavez were a democrat leading
        >> a grassroots revolution, why would it be necessary to scrap term
        >> limits? Does he, personally, have to be president for eternity for
        >> 'the Bolivarian Revolution' to succeed? What quality does he possess
        >> that no one else in his movement has? Can no one in his movement
        >> succeed him?

        This seems like a very reasonable question. I think that libertarians
        will find the cult of personality around Chavez most worrisome.

        http://tinyurl.com/3akhhr
        Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
        http://www.geocities.com/clorebeast/