NEWS: Germany fights cigarette smugglers

  • smokerhouse1 <smokerhouse1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2003
      The European Union says $2 billion is lost each year because of
      international cigarette smuggling.
    • Anne Marie <annemarie0679@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2003
        I would be interested in knowing more about this, if you have
        anyting else. I was in Germany for 2 weeks last summer. I really
        got spoiled while I was there. They're so smoker friendly compared
        to here. Walking into hotel lobbys, restaurants, train stations,
        all while carrying a lit cigarette. I can't wait to go back this
        summer!

        Anne

        --- In smokerhouse1@yahoogroups.com, "smokerhouse1
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
          NEWS In Detail.

          BERLIN, Germany -- The European Union says $2 billion is lost each
          year because of international cigarette smuggling.

          But in Germany, officials believe a solution to the problem can be
          found inside tobacco companies themselves.

          Last week, over 1,000 custom officials raided the Hamburg
          headquarters of tobbaco giant Reemtsma as part of an investigation
          into claims that employees are involved in illegally selling
          cigarettes to Iraq via Turkey.

          The inquiry also centres on claims that employees routed untaxed
          cigarettes to Eastern Europe to be then brought back to Germany and
          sold on the black market, avoiding a 72 percent tax.

          Herward Lohrke, a customs official, told CNN: "The tobacco industry
          makes a profit from smuggled cigarettes because it produces smuggled
          cigarettes.

          "I don't want to say it produces for smuggling purposes, but in the
          end the industry does make a profit because it does not have to pay
          taxes on the cigarettes."

          But the cigarette industry says the big buyers -- the people who buy
          in large quantities -- are the culprits.

          Ernst Brueckner, of the German Cigarette Manufacturer Association,
          said: "Even if all buyers were legal and legitimate first buyers, a
          seller could never exclude the possibilities of his products landing
          in these dark channels, and this is why the cigarette producers are
          in a difficult situation."

          The illegal cigarette trade is a multi-billion-dollar business in
          Europe.

          In Germany, customs officials intercept about one billion cigarettes
          coming into the country each year.

          But experts estimate eight times that amount make it across the
          border successfully.

          And every day smugglers cross Germany's 600 mile long border with
          Eastern Europe.

          Customs officials say Germany is becoming a transit point for
          smuggled cigarettes, with contraband going to Italy because of its
          porous borders, or to Britain, an attractive destination because of
          the high tax on tobacco.

          Even in Berlin, a legal pack of cigarettes costs around $3 --- but on
          the black market it can go for half that.

          --- In smokerhouse1@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Marie