Re: [sml-dev] BiXpath. RFC.

  • Paul T
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      > Got you. In what cases would you use this, I'm
      > hard pressed to come up with an example....

      Don't know if it would be intersting for you,
      but I think I've found one case when
      BiXpath already makes sense.

      I think that *any* complex 'flat' mixed content
      makes BiXpath addressing better, than XPath's.

      I've tried processing some complex
      reallife cases with XSLT and I've failed writing
      some XPath expressions, in the case when I
      need "something after 'BR', but it could be this
      and that and in could be nested e t.c.".

      xsl:apply-templates does not actually help.
      It is a common knowledge, that XSLT is
      weak with flat->hierarchy conversions,
      mostly because of addressing problems,
      that implies xsl:call-template with
      tricky axes e t.c. BiXpath's 'regular
      expressions' view allows better navigation
      in a 'flat' mixed content.

      Also, at the moment, I've started processing
      mixed content with a pipe of 2 components:

      1. XSLT stylesheet, produces NXML.

      2. Perl script 'tunes' the output of (1),
      using Chunks. Even without morphing,
      just "get this - hack it with regular
      expression - put it back into the Chunk,
      emit" ( three lines of code, actually )

      It rocks. It is like bringing regular expressions
      into XSLT, but it looks , kinda ... better...

      Well. Processing complex mixed content
      with XSLT + Chunks is an awesome
      technology. Could be better with BiXpath
      and Chunks v 2 , but even with the current
      version it is a 'real thing'.

      I'm very happy. Will publish that GUI thing
      soon, need to test it for some time.

      Rgds.Paul.

      PS. Is XML-dev down again? It seems that it is...