Re: Portfolio Monitor

  • kilo1994
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 26, 2009
      Very nice tool, thanks for sharing. Ripe for tweaking (there was a nice investment tracker on the xltrader group called IMAT that doesn't seem to have support anymore--might incorporate some of those goodies in this one), but I have a quick question for Randy. How do you use the SMFlite to make this a standalone spreadsheet (I have strict computer security issues at work, and they won't let me load the add-in into Excel)?

      I'd also include the Company Overview spreadsheet in this one for a comprehensive workbook...

      --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, "garyhartling" <Gary.Hartling@...> wrote:

      > This Portfolio spreadsheet is a fantastic tool! It's going to take me a while to figure out how to take advantage of all its capabilities. I've been looking for a portfolio manager and this could be just the ticket. Thank you for uploading it and sharing it with the group. I can see that it took a huge effort to put it together.
      >
      > --Gary H.
      >
      > --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, "bobsledproductions" <JPeters3515@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just uploaded a portfolio monitoring spreadsheet that uses the addin. (Converted from the addin that I previously created that was similar, but not nearly as useful as Randy's.) Anyways, It's quite powerful, I think anyways, and allows you to monitor both your portfolio as well as other dynamically generated portfolios. So, sectors, industries, preferreds, adrs, etc.
      > >
      > > It's pretty big, but that's because behind the scenes I created and embedded a security master file, so a listing of all securities traded on the amex, nasdaq, nyse, and OTC bulleting board. So, 10000 plus securities. Anyways, have a look and let me know what you think.

    • Randy Harmelink
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2009
        It would be a matter of exporting and importing the needed modules -- which would be dependent on which functions you need.  However, I would avoid the RCHGetElementNumber() function, since it requires the external definition files.  Since the RCHGetTableCell() function can replicate 99%+ of the RCHGetElementNumber() extractions, that typically isn't a problem.

        On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:34 AM, kilo1994 <dpburrell@...> wrote:
        but I have a quick question for Randy.  How do you use the SMFlite to make this a standalone spreadsheet (I have strict computer security issues at work, and they won't let me load the add-in into Excel)?

        I'd also include the Company Overview spreadsheet in this one for a comprehensive workbook...

      • bobsledproductions
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2009
          FYI, I'm just using the YahooQuotes function. Tomorrow, or next week I'll take a look and modify it so that it is self contained. Same with the company overview sheet as well.

          Also, I am working on a simple portfolio (transaction) tracking tool. I will ensure that it integrates/works with the portfolio monitor as well. Will post it hopefully later this week with instructions on how to use if I can get it finished up. May be a work in progress to start, but it'll get there.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2009
            Very much appreciated!!!

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009
              Just uploaded an updated version of the Company Overview and Portfolio Monitor workbooks with embedded smf functions (smf Lite). So, these don't require the addin. Fixed a couple of bugs I found as well.

              Also, updated the Company Overview sheet so that you can cycle thru companies in your portfolio, or companies reporting their earnings today.

              Portfolio tracker is still in progress. Will post a new portfolio monitor sheet, and the tracker when done.

              --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, "kilo1994" <dpburrell@...> wrote:

              > Very much appreciated!!!
              >
              > --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, "bobsledproductions" <JPeters3515@> wrote:
              > >
              > > FYI, I'm just using the YahooQuotes function. Tomorrow, or next week I'll take a look and modify it so that it is self contained. Same with the company overview sheet as well.
              > >
              > > Also, I am working on a simple portfolio (transaction) tracking tool. I will ensure that it integrates/works with the portfolio monitor as well. Will post it hopefully later this week with instructions on how to use if I can get it finished up. May be a work in progress to start, but it'll get there.
              > >
              > > --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, "kilo1994" <dpburrell@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Very nice tool, thanks for sharing. Ripe for tweaking (there was a nice investment tracker on the xltrader group called IMAT that doesn't seem to have support anymore--might incorporate some of those goodies in this one), but I have a quick question for Randy. How do you use the SMFlite to make this a standalone spreadsheet (I have strict computer security issues at work, and they won't let me load the add-in into Excel)?
              > > >
              > > > I'd also include the Company Overview spreadsheet in this one for a comprehensive workbook...

            • Martin Topper
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
                I like the Portfolio Sheet very much.  Great work!

                I loaded about 35 stocks and 20 funds.  The reporting is distorted because the detail behind the funds is not available.  For example 64% of my portfolio is listed as unknown on the graph by sector.  Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of the file?

                thanks

                Marty

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Martin, answers to these and your other questions as follows. Again, many thanks for checking my work and finding my errors.

                  From Martin:

                  1. In the Company Overview the Market Cap and Shares Outstanding are the same and shouldnt be. Both point to Data!AH8 which is the Market Cap.

                  2. Exchange Country Sector and Industry all come up "unknown". Is there a problem with the lookup tables, I cant tell?

                  3. I cant seem to get Company Overview to see the Portfolio Sheet (both are open at the same time). What am I missing?

                  I like both files and will continue to try to use them.

                  4. I also asked a question on Randys list (about Mutual Funds not working). Am I again doing something wrong?

                  thanks

                  Marty

                  Response:

                  1. Yes, shares outstanding is incorrect. I'm estimating this by dividing by yesterday's close. So, Data!BO8 should be AH8/S8. Have fixed that, and will upload an updated version later.

                  2. I only have mappings for those securities that trade on US exchanges. So, if you have mutual funds, or international securities, and actually some ETF's, I don't have them mapped. Try IBM, and you should see that it is not unknown.

                  3. Regarding the referencing of the portfolio sheet, both workbooks need to be installed into the following directory:

                  c:\Program Files\Toteboard\

                  So, I have a hard reference to: c:\Program Files\toteboard\Portfolio Sheet.xls from the company overview workbook.

                  4. Mutual funds should work fine, but you will only get a sub set of the information that you would with an equity. So, this is based off of what yahoo supports. I typed in PINCX and got pricing data and news, but nothing else.

                  Going forward, one thing I could probably do is make the sector user definable so that they are consistent with how equities are defined. So if you have a technology fund, you could define it as being in the "Technology" sector Let me know if you think that would be beneficial.

                  One other thing that I will probably do, for those that hold options (myself included), is to grab the underlying security of the option when doing the charting. So, if you are long the equity and short the call, the combined position is what should be charted, not say the "technology" sector for ibm, and "unknown" for the call option of ibm.

                  --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, Martin Topper <mtopper@...> wrote:

                  > I like the Portfolio Sheet very much. Great work!
                  >
                  > I loaded about 35 stocks and 20 funds. The reporting is distorted because the detail behind the funds is not available. For example 64% of my portfolio is listed as unknown on the graph by sector. Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of the file?
                  >
                  > thanks
                  >
                  > Marty

                • jacksonchan1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 13, 2010
                    Thanks for the great work but I just run into some issue and am not sure if anyone else also run into this:

                    1. In Step 2 of the Portfolio Sheet User Guide, you mentioned that "... columns can be changed by clicking on the individual column headers. This should then display a drop down arrow that you can click on..."

                    How come I do not see this when download V2.0 of the Portfolio Monitor?

                    2. Then it mentioned "...Clicking on the "Start Updates" button will trigger automatic updates from Yahoo into your spreadsheet...

                    I also am not able to find it.

                    Greatly appreciate if someone can shed some light into this. Many thanks.