RCHGetElementNumber for ETFs

  • dab_mango
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
      =RCHgetElementNumber($B3, 25), will not work when $B3= JJA,

      nor will =RCHgetElementNumber($B3,13862) when $B3=JJA for description

      However, for stock symbols CF, MOS they work like a charm !

      My apologies, if this has already been discussed and someone has found
      a way around.
    • dab_mango
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
        I was able to use RCHGetYahooQuotes for the same. Would like to
        understand however the difference, if someone has time, but not urgent.

        --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, "dab_mango" <dab_mango@...> wrote:

        > =RCHgetElementNumber($B3, 25), will not work when $B3= JJA,
        >
        > nor will =RCHgetElementNumber($B3,13862) when $B3=JJA for description
        >
        > However, for stock symbols CF, MOS they work like a charm !
        >
        > My apologies, if this has already been discussed and someone has
        found
        > a way around.

      • Randy Harmelink
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
          Simple answer -- the URL used to get data from MSN only works for stocks.  It will fail for ETF and Mutual Fund ticker symbols.

          In any case, I would not use element 25 to get the latest closing price.  I'm not sure how often it is actually updated on their web page.  The RCHGetYahooQuotes() function would be a better way to get it, and it would get an abbreviated name as well.  For example, if I array-enter this formula over a 2-column by 1-row range:

          =RCHGetYahooQuotes("JJA","nl1")

          I get back:

          IPATH AIG AGRI ET69.53