Re: [smf_addin] Ipad

  • Damian Bielawski
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22 5:52 PM

      This link makes it sound possible.
      Sounds worth a shot.

      http://m.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/onlive-desktop-full-ms-office-on-ipad-2-no-windows-required-review/6489

      Hope this helps!

      On Apr 22, 2012 8:30 PM, "Randy Harmelink" <rharmelink@...> wrote:

      I would assume it is highly unlikely, because the add-in requires several MicroSoft Windows O/S DLL libraries. The IPad uses a completely different operating system.

      On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM, bruceheil <bruceheil@...> wrote:
      Has anyone found and iPad app that can use smf_addin?

      On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Bruce Heil <bruceheil@...> wrote:
      Randy, have you found an iPad app that will work with smf? I spoke to the Onlive guys and they said that in the future they were considering offering the ability to use add-in's and access external data sources but it will cost you monthly.

    • Bruce Heil
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22 7:13 PM
        Have you seen or used OnLive (http://desktop.onlive.com/)? If I could get them to put smf on the server that lets you access excel and I knew the location and pointed smf to it would it work?

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22 7:20 PM
          No idea. But it would have to have the MicroSoft Windows DLL libraries available...

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22 7:31 PM
            OK, i'll work on it and post the out come here.

            No idea. But it would have to have the MicroSoft Windows DLL libraries available...

            On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Bruce Heil <bruceheil@...> wrote:

            Have you seen or used OnLive (http://desktop.onlive.com/)? If I could get them to put smf on the server that lets you access excel and I knew the location and pointed smf to it would it work?

          • Martin Topper
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 23 2:44 PM
              Bruce

              I have tried using CloudOn, a similar app that lets me use excel on my iPad.  I think Microsoft might have a problem (license violation?) if these apps were on servers.  So I concluded that the iPad is only relaying a screen view of a standalone computer, located who knows where, that runs excel.  And the service would have to install the smf on EVERY computer so that whichever one you are directed to when you sign on, would work.  I think that might be a bit of a reach.

              Marty

              OK, i'll work on it and post the out come here.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24 5:48 AM
                Marty, these hosting services use "Virtualization" technology. Their servers simulate running individual PCs and transmit only the screen interactions between the client and host. Each virtual PC at the host is identical. So, once it is setup every client gets the same thing. It's not that big of a deal to configure - the technical hurdle is not the problem.

                And, yes, the licensing of software for these services is very different than "shrink wrap" licenses.

                --- In smf_addin@yahoogroups.com, Martin Topper <mtopper@...> wrote:

                > Bruce
                >
                > I have tried using CloudOn, a similar app that lets me use excel on my iPad.  I think Microsoft might have a problem (license violation?) if these apps were on servers.  SoI concluded that the iPad is only relaying a screen view of a standalone computer, located who knows where, that runs excel.  And the service would have to install the smf on EVERY computer so that whichever one you are directed to when you sign on, would work.  I think that might be a bit of a reach.
                >
                > Marty

              • Martin Topper
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 24 7:20 AM
                  Mike

                  That's encouraging.  If you make progress, please post back.

                  thanks

                  Marty