Planning for the 2008-2009

  • Jeff Wolfe
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2008
      Since this year is coming to an end, it would be a good idea to put
      together a plan for this chapter's activities. Since this chapter is
      here for you, the SME member, it would be a good idea to find out what
      you would like to see this chapter do starting in September. No, I'm
      not talking about keg parties or road trips to Florida...though that
      would be nice. I'm talking about sponsoring field trips to the
      manufacturing facilites in the areas, bringing in more experts in the
      field of manufacturing to talk to you and competing at the regional
      and national SME events. Take a minute to think of what you would like
      to see the chapter do and submit the idea here in the Yahoo group. The
      chapter officers and Dr. Nasseri can then plan accordingly. It's your
      chapter. Let's do something with it.

      Jeff Wolfe
    • Kenneth Barra
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2008
        Is anyone interested in a trip to Detroit?  We could probably afford plane fare and housing for two students. June 1st 2008

        http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/get-event.pl?--001769-000007-home--SME-

        If the chapter has money
        and needs to spend it, this is a way to support SME, promote SPSU, and meet some potential employers.

        I know one manager from CATERPILLAR that always needs to hire manufacturing engineers who are capable cnc programmers.

        As for next year's topics...
        GUNS - Albert and Jeff, isn't there a 50 caliber mfg in GA, and GLOCK

        CARS - Panoz is a slam dunk.  They are all SPSU grads.  I can give you their phone number.

        BEER- Budweiser.  The tour is reputed to be boring, but it's beer.  There is also a brewery in downtown ATL

        STEEL - Gerdau Ameristeel, slam dunk tour.  Easy to set up, fun to attend.  Plan it for a cold night.  It's a hot place.

        AIRPLANES - Lockheed is around the corner.  My contact there has moved out of town.  Ask Professor Allen to get you a name.  He is well connected there.

        WHAT ELSE?  C'mon, you now what you like.  Fast cars, powerful stuff, cutting edge technology.

        Mazak Technology center is in Lawrenceville, and my company has spent 4 million dollars on Mazaks in the last 5 years.  I might be able to get a few passes for their next open house (they had one today).

        Kenneth Barra

        678-467-7332

        To: sme_spsu@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2008
          Why is it you look at me or Albert when it comes to firearms? You make it sound like we are gun nuts or something.....

          Bushmaster Firearms bought out Cobb Manufacturing in Dallas, who manufactured .50 BMG rifles. I'm not sure about their tour policies. I'll check on Glock but I have a feeling that would be out of the question. Buying a shirt from their company store requires you to gain permission to park on their campus at the guard shack, keep a Visitor pass visible and have a Glock representative with you on their campus. If we get a tour, we may have to do something similar to what Lockheed does with their tours (ie. background checks ahead of time).
        • albert cousins
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2008
            I do not know if Skip Patel, the owner of Cobb Manufacturing, will allow for tours but we can always ask. If we want to see some amazing manufacturing facilities we need to try for Advanced Armament, a suppressor manufacturer in Norcross who specializes in CNC machining. I am not sure how to get into contact with them as I lost my contact information for their shop manager. I will see what I can do to get a new contact as I was offered a tour once but never had a chance to set it up.

            On another note, planning is beginning for another CMfgT certification exam to be held upon the conclusion of the current semester. There is a sign-up sheet on the organization board and Prof. Horton is going to proctor this test. Cost will be $95 for SME student members. As I have more details I will post a full listing about it.