Re: Shooting Mode

  • rodgerstrick
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010
      I shoot in RAW+JPG as I never know what I might want to tweak in RAW. Mostly, I just put the JPG photos on a CD to hand to people (like my church), but then I might take a special photo and I want the RAW. So I just leave it in RAW+JPG. Large chips and large drives, so I don't worry about it. I can always delete the RAW after I put it on the hard drive.

      Rodger

    • james66@md.metrocast.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010

        I shoot JPG.  If your use to shooting slides then JPG is equal to that.

        James

        On Tue 01/12/10 6:53 PM , Susan Pstein sdcinmd@... sent:

        I know this is probably an old discussion for most of you, but being a new member, I would like to know how the majority of you shoot pictures - do you shoot in JPG or RAW format?  I hated that I was unable to attend BJ's presentation last Wednesday, but it was unavoidable.

        Thanks in advance for your responses.

        Susan
        www.flickr.com/ photos/sdcinmd/ sets

      • Jim Thomas
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010

          I shoot everything in raw with one exception. I use jpg for my grandkids sporting events-football and soccer. I convert the cameras raw files to DNG as they are imported into Lightroom.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010

            I shoot with raw. Raw is all of the data from my sensor with nothing done to it. JPG is a lossy compression format. So if you are going to do web images or small prints JPG might be good, but if you want all of the information you can get to work with then RAW is the way to shoot.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010
              I would love to see a session on this subject!  Have shot in raw and jpeg....simultaneously...and individually.  RAW does eat up a lot of space on a memory chip but it seems to be worth it.
              Bev Jackson
              On Jan 12, 2010, at 8:54 PM, Allen Barth wrote:

              Susan

              For a long time I only had point and shoot cameras with no raw format available.  When I first got my SLR just over a year ago I only shot in JPG.  Then I shot in RAW and JPG.  The converter I received with the camera was not that good and I did not see any advantage to RAW.  Last fall I got CS2 from the club and upgraded to CS4. The Adobe Camera RAW is sooooooooo good.  I only shoot in RAW now.  I can’t believe what you can do to the pictures in Adobe Camera RAW.  It is very easy to use and the results are nothing but fantastic.  Maybe one night we can have a demo of Adobe Camera Raw.

              Well that is my 2 cents

              Allen

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                Message
                Just another 2 cents worth...  I shoot with a Nikon D90, and with an 8 Gb chip, I can shoot RAW+JPG (best quality) and still get 352 photos!  I always transfer them to the computer at the first opportunity, and then (if I wanted), I can delete any of the images that I don't want.  The problem is that I never know when I might snap an image that I want the BEST editing opportunity (RAW).  Mostly, I just use the JPG.

                We're probably giving you more information than you hoped to have!

                Rodger

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                  Rodger,
                  Not more information that I had hoped for at all!  It is interesting to find out why everyone chooses what they use.

                  Thanks for your input!

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                    Sounds like a great topic, If I can't sweet talk Bill into doing a night on ACR, I'll put one together for the end of the month lecture series stuff. And yes you Canon guys I can talk about ACR and not just NX2 ;o)
                    VR
                    BJ

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                      Message
                      Nice to meet you tonight, and we all learn from these discussions!  I love it!

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                        No problem. Let me know when. There is a lot more to camera raw since the last time I demonstrated it.

                        Bill

                        --- In smccc@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Ramsay <bryan.ramsay@...> wrote:

                        > Sounds like a great topic, If I can't sweet talk Bill into doing a night on ACR, I'll put one together for the end of the month lecture series stuff. And yes you Canon guys I can talk about ACR and not just NX2 ;o)
                        > VR
                        > BJ
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • David S
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                          Before I had any editing software I shot jpeg. Then I switched to raw + jpeg and filled my hard drive, so I deleted the jpegs and switched to raw only. Had a couple shoots where I knew I wouldn't do any post and switched to jpeg for that. Problem was, when I finished one, I forgot to switch back to raw for the next shoot and I shot lots of stuff that day in jpeg when I wanted raw. I'm leaning going back to raw + jpeg. I've since gotten a new laptop with a larger hard drive along with an external hard drive so storage is no longer an issue. I run two 8 gig cards, so that will give me between 600 and 800 shots. I also have a spare 4 gig card that has my picture controls on so in a pinch I can use that.

                          All in all, the most important thing, and I've messed up more than once on this, when you go out to shoot, double check all your settings and be sure they are what you want. I'm thinking of actually making a checklist. The D90 just has so many possibilities that can help if done right, yet can screw up your whole day if you have them set wrong.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 14, 2010

                            Hi,

                            No problem. Just let me know when. There have been a lot of improvements in Adobe Camera Raw since I did my last demonstration.

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 14, 2010
                              Message
                              The checklist is a GREAT idea.  I forget so easily!  Good advice.  I have the D90 also, and there are SO many things to set!

                              Rodger

                              Before I had any editing software I shot jpeg. Then I switched to raw + jpeg and filled my hard drive, so I deleted the jpegs and switched to raw only. Had a couple shoots where I knew I wouldn't do any post and switched to jpeg for that. Problem was, when I finished one, I forgot to switch back to raw for the next shoot and I shot lots of stuff that day in jpeg when I wanted raw. I'm leaning going back to raw + jpeg. I've since gotten a new laptop with a larger hard drive along with an external hard drive so storage is no longer an issue. I run two 8 gig cards, so that will give me between 600 and 800 shots. I also have a spare 4 gig card that has my picture controls on so in a pinch I can use that.

                              All in all, the most important thing, and I've messed up more than once on this, when you go out to shoot, double check all your settings and be sure they are what you want. I'm thinking of actually making a checklist. The D90 just has so many possibilities that can help if done right, yet can screw up your whole day if you have them set wrong.

                              --- In smccc@yahoogroups. com, Susan Pstein <sdcinmd@... > wrote:

                              > Rodger,
                              > Not more
                              information that I had hoped for at all!  It is interesting to find out why everyone chooses what they use.

                              > Thanks for your
                              input!

                              ____________ _________ _________ __
                              <rufus1945@. ..>
                              href="mailto:smccc%40yahoogroups.com">smccc@yahoogroups. com

                              Sent: Wed, January 13, 2010 8:26:34 AM
                              > Subject: RE: [smccc] Shooting
                              Mode

                              > Just another 2 cents worth...  I
                              shoot with a Nikon D90, and with an 8 Gb chip, I can shoot RAW+JPG (best quality) and still get 352 photos!  I always transfer them to the computer at the first opportunity, and then (if I wanted), I can delete any of the images that I don't want.  The problem is that I never know when I might snap an image that I want the BEST editing opportunity (RAW).  Mostly, I just use the JPG.

                              > We're probably giving you more information than
                              you hoped to have!

                              > Rodger

                              yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan Pstein
                              > Sent: Tuesday, January 12,
                              2010 6:54 PM
                              > To: smccc@yahoogroups. com
                              > Subject: [smccc]
                              Shooting Mode

                              > I know this is probably an old
                              discussion for most of you, but being a new member, I would like to know how the majority of you shoot pictures - do you shoot in JPG or RAW format?  I hated that I was unable to attend BJ's presentation last Wednesday, but it was unavoidable.

                              > Thanks in
                              advance for your responses.

                              www.avg.com
                              Date: 01/12/10 07:35:00

                            • Robbins, Sandra L
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 15, 2010

                                If you check the “files” link on the left-hand side of the group’s home page, you will actually find a “checklist” created by Bill back in 2007.  If it doesn’t fit your needs, it would at least be a place to start.

                                Sandy

                                The checklist is a GREAT idea.  I forget so easily!  Good advice.  I have the D90 also, and there are SO many things to set!

                                Rodger

                                Before I had any editing software I shot jpeg. Then I switched to raw + jpeg and filled my hard drive, so I deleted the jpegs and switched to raw only. Had a couple shoots where I knew I wouldn't do any post and switched to jpeg for that. Problem was, when I finished one, I forgot to switch back to raw for the next shoot and I shot lots of stuff that day in jpeg when I wanted raw. I'm leaning going back to raw + jpeg. I've since gotten a new laptop with a larger hard drive along with an external hard drive so storage is no longer an issue. I run two 8 gig cards, so that will give me between 600 and 800 shots. I also have a spare 4 gig card that has my picture controls on so in a pinch I can use that.

                                All in all, the most important thing, and I've messed up more than once on this, when you go out to shoot, double check all your settings and be sure they are what you want. I'm thinking of actually making a checklist. The D90 just has so many possibilities that can help if done right, yet can screw up your whole day if you have them set wrong.

                                --- In smccc@yahoogroups. com, Susan Pstein <sdcinmd@... > wrote:

                                > Rodger,
                                > Not more information that I had hoped for at all!  It is interesting
                                to find out why everyone chooses what they use.

                                > Thanks for your input!
                                >  Susan
                                > www.flickr.com/ photos/sdcinmd/ sets
                                >

                                > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                01/12/10 07:35:00

                              • Rodger
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 15, 2010
                                  Message
                                  Cool!  I'll have to check that out.  Thanks!

                                  Rodger

                                  If you check the “files” link on the left-hand side of the group’s home page, you will actually find a “checklist” created by Bill back in 2007.  If it doesn’t fit your needs, it would at least be a place to start.

                                  Sandy

                                  The checklist is a GREAT idea.  I forget so easily!  Good advice.  I have the D90 also, and there are SO many things to set!

                                  Rodger

                                  Before I had any editing software I shot jpeg. Then I switched to raw + jpeg and filled my hard drive, so I deleted the jpegs and switched to raw only. Had a couple shoots where I knew I wouldn't do any post and switched to jpeg for that. Problem was, when I finished one, I forgot to switch back to raw for the next shoot and I shot lots of stuff that day in jpeg when I wanted raw. I'm leaning going back to raw + jpeg. I've since gotten a new laptop with a larger hard drive along with an external hard drive so storage is no longer an issue. I run two 8 gig cards, so that will give me between 600 and 800 shots. I also have a spare 4 gig card that has my picture controls on so in a pinch I can use that.

                                  All in all, the most important thing, and I've messed up more than once on this, when you go out to shoot, double check all your settings and be sure they are what you want. I'm thinking of actually making a checklist. The D90 just has so many possibilities that can help if done right, yet can screw up your whole day if you have them set wrong.

                                  --- In smccc@yahoogroups. com, Susan Pstein <sdcinmd@... > wrote:

                                  > Rodger,
                                  > Not more
                                  information that I had hoped for at all!  It is interesting to find out why everyone chooses what they use.

                                  > Thanks for your
                                  input!

                                  <rufus1945@. ..>

                                  Sent: Wed, January 13, 2010 8:26:34 AM
                                  > Subject: RE: [smccc] Shooting
                                  Mode

                                  > Just another 2 cents worth...  I
                                  shoot with a Nikon D90, and with an 8 Gb chip, I can shoot RAW+JPG (best quality) and still get 352 photos!  I always transfer them to the computer at the first opportunity, and then (if I wanted), I can delete any of the images that I don't want.  The problem is that I never know when I might snap an image that I want the BEST editing opportunity (RAW).  Mostly, I just use the JPG.

                                  > We're probably giving you more information than
                                  you hoped to have!

                                  > Rodger

                                  yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan Pstein
                                  > Sent: Tuesday, January 12,
                                  2010 6:54 PM
                                  > To: smccc@yahoogroups. com
                                  > Subject: [smccc]
                                  Shooting Mode

                                  > I know this is probably an old
                                  discussion for most of you, but being a new member, I would like to know how the majority of you shoot pictures - do you shoot in JPG or RAW format?  I hated that I was unable to attend BJ's presentation last Wednesday, but it was unavoidable.

                                  > Thanks in
                                  advance for your responses.

                                  www.avg.com
                                  Date: 01/12/10 07:35:00