Wordpro postscript printing bug-will not print equations

  • ajcl97
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
      Wordpro 1.71 will not printout equations when using the post script
      driver. Has Lotus issued any fixes ?
      thanks
      jeff
    • Cees van Veelen
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
        ** Reply to message from "ajcl97" <ajcl97@...> on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:30:04 -0000

        > Wordpro 1.71 will not printout equations when using the post script
        > driver. Has Lotus issued any fixes ?
        > thanks

        A while back the problem has been reported to Lotus - I hope they are working on it now.
        My experience was however, that the first equation was not printed, but subsequent equations were. Maybe you can create a workaround starting from here.

        Greetings,
        Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
        www.ceesvanveelen.nl
      • Steven Levine
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
          In <200309021338.h82DcoPf038983@...>, on 09/02/03
          at 03:38 PM, "Cees van Veelen" <cees@...> said:

          >A while back the problem has been reported to Lotus - I hope they are
          >working on it now. My experience was however, that the first equation was
          >not printed, but subsequent equations were. Maybe you can create a
          >workaround starting from here.

          Hunt through the archives. Someone posted a workaround that consisted of
          simple edits to the postscript output.

          Steven

          "Steven Levine" <steve53@...> MR2/ICE 2.37 #10183 Warp4/FP15/14.093c_W4
          www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.info irc.fyrelizard.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
        • Cees van Veelen
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
            ** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" <steve53@...> on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:05:04 -0700

            > Hunt through the archives. Someone posted a workaround that consisted of
            > simple edits to the postscript output.

            That was me. When time permits I will do a search as well. But personaly I am not doing equations at all.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
              ** Reply to message from "C.A.v.Valkenburg" <vanvalkenburg@...> on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:38:45 -0200

              > I am using Wordpro 1.7 and printing postscript to the PMPDF printerport made by Bart van Leeuwen
              > 1.
              > Should this problem also accure at my system

              Yes.

              > 2.
              > what is an "equation" (one word dutch please)
              >
              > I would like to try to reproduce the problem

              Oh, één woord... Het is een wiskundige formule, waar wiskundige symbolen in staan als het Wortel teken (wortel 2 bijvoorbeeld) pi, dat soort dingen.

              Greetings,
              Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
              www.ceesvanveelen.nl
            • Kris Steenhaut
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                *********Mod pet on********

                You guys never stop to surprise me, for in "The Netherlands" you always
                want to do it in Spanish.

                Cees van Veelen schreef:

                >Oh, één woord... Het is een wiskundige formule, waar wiskundige symbolen in staan als het Wortel teken (wortel 2 bijvoorbeeld) pi, dat soort dingen.

                Bottom line: In Nederland en Vlaanderen etc ... in Dutch, and here in
                this group please in English-Uk, English-Ca, English-AU, whatever
                English- you like. :-)

                Thank you very much.

                *****mod pet off*********

                --
                Groeten uit Gent,

                Kris
              • Philip Griffin-Allwood
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Tuesday 02 September 2003

                  > > Hunt through the archives. Someone posted a workaround that consisted of
                  > > simple edits to the postscript output.
                  >
                  > That was me. When time permits I will do a search as well. But
                  > personaly I am not doing equations at all.

                  The other work around was to change printer identification for the PS
                  driver for creation of PS files. Some work and some do not with
                  equations.

                  AmiPro/WordPro has a coding problem which has created a long history of
                  printer driver problems. If you can find it use the PSDrv5.

                  Phil

                  ===========================

                  (Rev.) Philip Griffin-Allwood, Ph.D.
                  Kentville, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
                  pgaga@...
                  http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood
                • C.A.v.Valkenburg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003

                    > ** Reply to message from "ajcl97" <ajcl97@...> on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:30:04 -0000
                    >

                    > > Wordpro 1.71 will not printout equations when using the post script
                    > > driver. Has Lotus issued any fixes ?
                    > > thanks
                    >
                    > A while back the problem has been reported to Lotus - I hope they are working on it now.
                    > My experience was however, that the first equation was not printed, but subsequent equations were. Maybe you can create a workaround starting from here.
                    >
                    > Greetings,
                    > Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
                    > www.ceesvanveelen.nl

                    Hi,

                    I am using Wordpro 1.7 and printing postscript to the PMPDF printerport made by Bart van Leeuwen
                    1.
                    Should this problem also accure at my system
                    2.
                    what is an "equation" (one word dutch please)

                    I would like to try to reproduce the problem
                    ======================== Best Regards ==========================

                    Aland van Valkenburg
                    Bergeend 41
                    1423 SK Uithoorn
                    The Netherlands

                    Your problem will remain a problem
                    as long as you do not think in solutions

                  • dale a cook
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                      I wish that I had learned to speak Dutch language
                      so I could have otherwise translated this for others to benefit.

                      Cees van Veelen wrote:

                      > ** Reply to message from "C.A.v.Valkenburg"
                      > <vanvalkenburg@...> on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:38:45 -0200
                      >

                      > > I am using Wordpro 1.7 and printing postscript to the PMPDF
                      > printerport made by Bart van Leeuwen
                      > > 1.
                      > > Should this problem also accure at my system
                      >
                      > Yes.
                      >
                      > > 2.
                      > > what is an "equation" (one word dutch please)
                      > >
                      > > I would like to try to reproduce the problem
                      >
                      > Oh, één woord... Het is een wiskundige formule, waar wiskundige
                      > symbolen in staan als het Wortel teken (wortel 2 bijvoorbeeld) pi, dat
                      > soort dingen.
                      >
                      > Greetings,
                      > Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
                      > www.ceesvanveelen.nl
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      [Click Here!]

                      > Remember: you can't attach files to your messages.

                    • Cees van Veelen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                        ** Reply to message from dale a cook <cookda@...> on Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:43:28 -0400

                        > I wish that I had learned to speak Dutch language
                        > so I could have otherwise translated this for others to benefit.

                        The question was: What is an equation in Dutch. The number of English words we learn at Dutch high schools is limited, and 'equation' is not one of them. So I described what an equation looks like with signs for root, pi and so on. That's all.

                        Anyway, as it was reported that the driver in psdrv5 is better, I uploaded the file to the file area of the group. It is in it's own folder.

                        Greetings,
                        Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
                        www.ceesvanveelen.nl
                      • Koen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                          On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:43:28 -0400, dale a cook wrote:

                          > I wish that I had learned to speak Dutch language
                          >so I could have otherwise translated this for others to benefit.

                          /snip/

                          >> > what is an "equation" (one word dutch please)
                          >> >
                          >> > I would like to try to reproduce the problem
                          >>
                          >> Oh, één woord... Het is een wiskundige formule, waar wiskundige
                          >> symbolen in staan als het Wortel teken (wortel 2 bijvoorbeeld) pi, dat
                          >> soort dingen.

                          Understanding English but not very good at it:

                          /translation/
                          Oh, one word... It's a mathematical formula, where you find mathematical
                          symbols such as the root sign (root 2 for instance) pi, that sort of things.
                          /end translation/

                          Regards
                          Koen
                        • C.A.v.Valkenburg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003

                            > I wish that I had learned to speak Dutch language
                            > so I could have otherwise translated this for others to benefit.

                            With my excuses to you all, specially the moderator:

                            You did not miss a thing! All Cees did was translating to Duch what was written before.
                            Dont worry.
                            But: Now Englisch (and international-) speaking poeple has noticed what it is like when your motherlanguage is not englisch!
                            Talking english on the street is something else than reading an IT-technical manual.....
                            You are better off.

                            This text shows you the problem ;-)

                            Most times I finally understand things, but sometimes i need some assistance....

                            > Cees van Veelen wrote:
                            >
                            > > ** Reply to message from "C.A.v.Valkenburg"
                            > > <vanvalkenburg@...> on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:38:45 -0200
                            > >

                            > > > I am using Wordpro 1.7 and printing postscript to the PMPDF
                            > > printerport made by Bart van Leeuwen
                            > > > 1.
                            > > > Should this problem also accure at my system
                            > >
                            > > Yes.
                            > >
                            > > > 2.
                            > > > what is an "equation" (one word dutch please)
                            > > >
                            > > > I would like to try to reproduce the problem
                            > >
                            > > Oh, één woord... Het is een wiskundige formule, waar wiskundige
                            > > symbolen in staan als het Wortel teken (wortel 2 bijvoorbeeld) pi, dat
                            > > soort dingen.
                            > >
                            > > Greetings,
                            > > Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
                            > > www.ceesvanveelen.nl
                            > >
                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > [Click Here!]

                            > > Remember: you can't attach files to your messages.

                            > Remember: you can't attach files to your messages.

                            ======================== Best Regards ==========================

                            Aland van Valkenburg
                            Bergeend 41
                            1423 SK Uithoorn
                            The Netherlands

                            Your problem will remain a problem
                            as long as you do not think in solutions

                          • felmon davis
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                              On Wednesday 03 September 2003 02:43, dale a cook wrote:
                              > I wish that I had learned to speak Dutch
                              > language so I could have otherwise translated this for others to
                              > benefit.

                              me too; I'm ok in German so I can pick out some stuff but the thing
                              that amazes me in Dutch is the pronunciation ~ it sometimes sounds
                              like a cross between German, English and !Kung!

                              F.
                            • atomic_frogii
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                                --- In smartsuite-os2@yahoogroups.com, "ajcl97" <ajcl97@y...> wrote:
                                > Wordpro 1.71 will not printout equations when using the post script
                                > driver. Has Lotus issued any fixes ?
                                > thanks
                                > jeff

                                Some have reported that an alternate driver (that PS5DRV? thingy)
                                works better. In my experience, not so much better.

                                You can search the archives, as this was hashed a while back.
                                It turns out the PS file is a bit messed up and you can edit it to
                                make it work. 1 or 2 equations, okay, but forget it if your document
                                is full of equations.

                                I use equations heavily, there's a few tricks I can suggest: (Some
                                repeated, some are "new")

                                1) Do not use any underline text. This will break everything but the
                                first equation in the document
                                2) In the printer job properties, do NOT "Use downloaded fonts". Do
                                "Use printer device fonts"
                                3) It usually helps to have the equation in-line with a printable
                                character.
                                4) Stick with Times New Roman for the equation font.
                                5) In the prinder driver properties (not the job properties), install
                                the fonts that you want to use (e.g. Times New Roman).

                                FYI, I use the HP Color LaserJet 8550 PS printer driver and WordPro 1.7.1

                                This "bug" is a royal pain in the ass and makes me pause before
                                starting any document over 10 pages with WordPro. But I doubt anyone
                                at Lotus is listening to us.... :-(

                                Isaac

                                Isaac
                              • dale a cook
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                                  I actually don't speak GERMAN either........I
                                  had the dumb idea in school to take spanglish:)

                                  felmon davis wrote:

                                  > On Wednesday 03 September 2003 02:43, dale a cook wrote:
                                  > > I wish that I had learned to speak Dutch
                                  > > language so I could have otherwise translated this for others to
                                  > > benefit.
                                  >
                                  > me too; I'm ok in German so I can pick out some stuff but the thing
                                  > that amazes me in Dutch is the pronunciation ~ it sometimes sounds
                                  > like a cross between German, English and !Kung!
                                  >
                                  > F.
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707281914:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                                  > Remember: you can't attach files to your messages.

                                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                                • Derrick Price
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                                    If you have PPA for Smartsuite why not post a PMR?

                                    Regards
                                    Derrick Price