IV-17 Smartsocket and 4Play driver kits available soon

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013
      I've been putting together some kits of parts, which will produce an IV-17 Smartsocket. (kits with and without tubes will be available). Together with these main kits will be a preprogrammed pic with 8 pin socket and 3 buttons (or possibly a rotary encoder) to create a 4Play controller like the deivces I recently have for sale on eBay.

      These kits are 'programming free'. The microcontrollers will already be programmed and it is just a case of assembling the parts to make a working 4Play/clock device. You need to add just a 5V supply (200mA), and a backup battery, CR2032 size, if you live in a power cut area.

      If anyone is interested in preordering a kit please send me a private message via the forum. The kits will be priced at £29 without tubes, £36 with tubes.

      Additionally, I am pujtting together a 4 tube B7971 array with a view to putting it up for sale. The sale will consists of four B7971 tubes and four B7971 Smartsockets, plus whatever driver design I can come up with in the next few weeks, expect something like the IV-17 4Play driver, it would show wors, time, date, possibly temperature and may or may not have bluetooth to allow for time updates via a bluetooth gps station.

      Happy holidays !

      Chris
    • Casey Yee
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 31, 2013
        I'd definitely interested in the driver for B7971 :)

        Already have smartsockets for these tubes and have experimented driving them with arduino, but yet to have a complete clock setup.  This would be a quick way to get something running for me.

        Thanks!

        Casey

[...]

      • kpnixie

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 31, 2013
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Casey Yee <caseyyee.ca@...> wrote:

            > I'd definitely interested in the driver for B7971 :)
            >
            > Already have smartsockets for these tubes and have experimented driving them with arduino, but yet to have a complete clock setup. This would be a quick way to get something running for me.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Casey

            Hi Casey,

            I've just wired together four B7971 Smartsockets and will blow the dust from four B7971 tubes tomorrow, and then start programming in my free time.

            I only have one set of four tubes and Smartsockets, so once I sell these I won't have anything to develop more software on afterwards !

            Chris
          • Vincent
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 31, 2013
              So Chris,

              Does this mean the six digit driver/clock gizmo I've been patiently waiting for is not do-able?

              Regards,
              Vince

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Thinwing@... wrote:

                > I have put together a 10 tube B7971 array using the fixitsan/tayloredge
                > modules...but only for messages typed in hyperterminal connected by rn41
                > blutooth sparkfun breakout board.No clock function...what I would like to see is
                > some kind of RSS feed...or even a series of pretyped messages..k

                There's a two tube B7971 clock (Budget conscious clock !) in the files section. It has scrolling menus.

                Nothing with lots of messages, yet
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent" <v_f_d@...> wrote:

                  > So Chris,
                  >
                  > Does this mean the six digit driver/clock gizmo I've been patiently waiting for is not do-able?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Vince

                  Hi Vince, it is still doable, maybe not by me though. The commands are all very easy to send from any source, being that the B7971 device uses an all ascii format.

                  I'm not sure what you would expect from a 6 digit device. I do have 6 tubes and 6 smartsockets which I could play around with I suppose. Are you thinking about 6 character words, like an extended FLW (doesn't have the same ring to it !)

                  If I can help I will, but just not sure what you're expecting ?

                  Chris
                • Ian Griffin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                    A SLW Chris (six letter word) lol

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ian Griffin <ian.griffin@...> wrote:

                      > A SLW Chris (six letter word) lol
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone

                      That's what I mean Ian. We all know what a 'four letter word' insinuates.

                      A 'six letter word' sounds more like a Sunday morning newspaper puzzle ;)

                      I might takle a look to see what sensors are available cheaply these days. I think temperature and RH are easy to incorporate, but it would be nice to also have barometric pressure and BP trends perhaps to produce a weather forecasting device ?

                      BTW, I think John Smout's design for a smartsocket driver is still available in the files section.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013

                        > A 'six letter word' sounds more like a Sunday morning newspaper puzzle ;)

                        Thionking some more about it, 6 letters is almost enough to get some good anagrams...

                        Display a six letter anagram for 5 seconds, then reveal the word ?
                      • Jon Jackson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                          I like the sound of the six letter anagram.

                          Jon
                        • John Rehwinkel
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                            > I have put together a 10 tube B7971 array using the fixitsan/tayloredge modules...but only for messages typed in hyperterminal connected by rn41 blutooth sparkfun breakout board.No clock function...what I would like to see is some kind of RSS feed...or even a series of pretyped messages..k

                            Not too hard, just write a program to grab RSS (there are some libraries to do this), pick out the details you want (title, etc) and squirt it over bluetooth as if it were a serial interface. I'd go write it myself, but I don't have the bluetooth module (or the B7971 modules).

                            - John
                          • kpnixie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                              Thanks for reply John....I havent a clue were to start..guess I am not a software guy...it was enough of a challenge getting the bluetooth module setup to talk to smartsockets.I was trying to figure out if the "+" character was in the smartsocket programing or is it a custo user assignable character??kelly

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Thinwing@... wrote:

                                > Thanks for reply John....I havent a clue were to start..guess I am not a
                                > software guy...it was enough of a challenge getting the bluetooth module
                                > setup to talk to smartsockets.I was trying to figure out if the "+" character
                                > was in the smartsocket programing or is it a custo user assignable
                                > character??kelly

                                Hi Kelly, that info is in the operating instructions 'Smart Sockets.doc', on page 7

                                '+' is already programmed as a UDC, sending character 'B' in the user font will display it. It should be ascii 43, hex 2B, but if not programmed that same location can be reprogrammed accordingly

                                Chris
                              • kpnixie
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                                  Thanks Chris..I see that under initial UDC settings ..under code 66 B...I will give that a try..kelly

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 1, 2013
                                    Hi Chris,

                                    Seems a few folks would also like to see a driver board for the B-7971 smartsockets. It's been just a couple months short of four years since my first post/e-mail inquiring about such a device. My original desire was for something that would emulate much of what was shown at the time on the little demo video. As you explained, that was just some routines sent from a palm computer.

                                    I was hoping that a good bit of the development of the IV-4/IV-17 units would prove useful.

                                    I would like something similar to the fourplay. A "six letter word" would be great, but I would settle for a FLW with selectable animations on the two end tubes. Of course the anagram idea is very interesting. 6 digit time is just so much better since one can watch the seconds count away... I like scrolling in from one end. I have a fairly cool TubeHobby clock that does that- press a button for date, press second one for temperature. As the data scrolls out, it exits the other side of the display and the time comes back in following it.

                                    Of course a RTC/TCXO would be good. GPS time synchronization would be ok, but not necessary for me. If possible, the day of the week spelled out scrolling across ahead of the numerical date would be nice (...THURSDAY...08-01-13...). Yes, I'm stuck on MM/DD/YY format. I would like to see the device work with the original smartsockets/PIC for now to save on cost, maybe a later upgrade to the more capable 16F1829. If going beyond a 6 digit clock plus sort of device, I would think a 16 digit tube display would be a maximum I would ever need for anything.

                                    Hopefully it won't be too hard to come up with something. Keep the kitties from playing with the tubes!

                                    Thanks,
                                    Vince

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 2, 2013
                                      Almost a 4 year wait ? I wonder how many programming languages could be learned in that time ? ;)

                                      I thought John Smout's design which he kindly posted to the files section for sharing with everyone covered a lot of the FLW type behaviour. I don't think I could improve on that. It's a ready to go , build your own clock and FLW device and my thanks go to John for sharing it. Details are here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartsockets/files/John%27s%20clock/

                                      Regards retaining the existing driver IC in the Smartsockets and not upgrading to something with more memory, a function like scrolling is easy to implement with existing devices if you choose a host device with enough memory.

                                      Adding scrolling to the Smartsockets, creating the requirement for the upgrade in the first place is likely to be more beneficial to lots of people because it means that their host device only needs to deal with data based issues and not have to keep refreshing the display with scrolling letters too.

                                      A doubling of program space and four times RAM is a luxury to play with, and if possible I waould like to retain the existing functionality, so anybody who has already built a driver device which uses the existing B7971 Smartsocket commands can continue to do so.

                                      I'll do my best in what little time I can afford to give this project. One day I'll retire and get all the time in the world back to play....or perhaps it does not work like that !

                                      Chris