Re: Using IV-17 smartsocket with usb>ttl adapter

  • julietmikebravo
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2012
      --to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
      > could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.
      >
      > If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.
      >
      > - Cheers,
      > John

      If you can do that that would be very nice. Of course, I am looking into some C programming in Linux also at the moment.

      Regards,

      Johan
    • John Rehwinkel
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2012
        > --to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
        >> could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.
        >>
        >> If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.
        >>
        > If you can do that that would be very nice. Of course, I am looking into some C programming in Linux also at the moment.

        Happy to, I uploaded it to my server for you:

        http://www.vitriol.com/ftp/smartsocket.c

        I don't remember offhand how many bits per second the smartsockets want - the program is written
        to use 9600bps, 8 bits, no parity. There's a #define near the top that sets the port speed, change it
        as needed.

        A couple of lines below it, a string is set to the name of the serial port device - you'll likely have to change
        this to whatever it is on your system. Many Unix systems offer two versions of serial ports, some have names
        like tty.s0, and others have names like cu.s0. The difference is the kind of flow control required to operate. If
        your system offers both kinds, try them both. Note that you can specify which port to use at run time (see below).

        Compile it with a command like this:

        gcc smartsocket.c -o smartsocket

        To run it, type:

        ./smartsocket

        and it should attempt to connect to the port, configure it, and start sending commands. To use a different
        port than the one compiled in, add the port name to the command line:

        ./smartsocket /dev/tty.USA19Hfd1221P1.1

        Like the Arduino original, it loops forever until interrupted.

        Let me know if you have any questions!

        Cheers,
        John
      • julietmikebravo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

          > > --to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
          > >> could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.
          > >>
          > >> If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.
          > >>
          > > If you can do that that would be very nice. Of course, I am looking into some C programming in Linux also at the moment.
          >
          > Happy to, I uploaded it to my server for you:
          >
          > http://www.vitriol.com/ftp/smartsocket.c

          Compiled it, but no reaction of the Smartsocket, even when sending the V, CSTxxxxxx or CDT1 command.

          Until now, the only way I have been able to scroll messages was by connecting it to an Arduino and relaying stuff. I think I will purchase one of those miniature Arduino PCB's and write some kind of abstraction layer. Shouldn't be much code as I don't use all the commands.

          It seems that computers in general have a hard time sending mixed ASCII/binary stuff, microprocessors seem to do this better.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2013
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "julietmikebravo" wrote:

            > Compiled it, but no reaction of the Smartsocket, even when sending the V, CSTxxxxxx or CDT1 command.

            Strange that it won't send even a single 'V'. I was going to suggest there was a timing issue. Is the port looking for some handshaking ? RTC/CTS etc ? Set handshaking to 'none' maybe ?
          • julietmikebravo
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 28, 2013

              Recently I hooked up the smartsocket to my Raspberry Pi, first via a USB->TTL adapter, later using the on board GPIO UART. Suddenly no problem sending commands to the board:

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWjajBTCXA

              Seems like using Linux with cheap USB->TTL adapters is problematic, everything works fine just echo'ing stuff from bash like this:

              sudo echo -ne "MS\70\4\1 text text text"

              Works like a charm now :)

            • Kelly P Couch