Re: [smartsockets] Re: Using IV-17 smartsocket with usb>ttl adapter

  • John Rehwinkel
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 16, 2012
      > I think I am going to hook up my Arduino to it and try to send commands from there, I can't trust Linux, echo and a CP2102 USB-TTL adapter to do this properly it seems.

      Linux and the CP2102 aren't your problem. Echo is your problem. It's designed to send human-readable ASCII text to terminals from shell scripts. While it can be coerced into sending (some) arbitrary bytes, it's not happy or coöperative about it. Normally, if I want to send arbitrary bytes, I'll just assemble them in a file and
      send them out the serial port with the "cat" command. Alternatively, some systems have a "convert" sort of command that will take pairs of hex digits and send
      the corresponding bytes. And, since you're willing to program an Arduino, you can similarly write a program for Linux to send whatever you want. If you want
      to get more fancy than sending canned text, that's really the way to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
      could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.

      If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.

      - Cheers,
      John
    • julietmikebravo
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2012
        --to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
        > could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.
        >
        > If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.
        >
        > - Cheers,
        > John

        If you can do that that would be very nice. Of course, I am looking into some C programming in Linux also at the moment.

        Regards,

        Johan
      • John Rehwinkel
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 20, 2012
          > --to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
          >> could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.
          >>
          >> If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.
          >>
          > If you can do that that would be very nice. Of course, I am looking into some C programming in Linux also at the moment.

          Happy to, I uploaded it to my server for you:

          http://www.vitriol.com/ftp/smartsocket.c

          I don't remember offhand how many bits per second the smartsockets want - the program is written
          to use 9600bps, 8 bits, no parity. There's a #define near the top that sets the port speed, change it
          as needed.

          A couple of lines below it, a string is set to the name of the serial port device - you'll likely have to change
          this to whatever it is on your system. Many Unix systems offer two versions of serial ports, some have names
          like tty.s0, and others have names like cu.s0. The difference is the kind of flow control required to operate. If
          your system offers both kinds, try them both. Note that you can specify which port to use at run time (see below).

          Compile it with a command like this:

          gcc smartsocket.c -o smartsocket

          To run it, type:

          ./smartsocket

          and it should attempt to connect to the port, configure it, and start sending commands. To use a different
          port than the one compiled in, add the port name to the command line:

          ./smartsocket /dev/tty.USA19Hfd1221P1.1

          Like the Arduino original, it loops forever until interrupted.

          Let me know if you have any questions!

          Cheers,
          John
        • julietmikebravo
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

            > > --to go. The choice of language is up to you, the Arduino IDE supports a variant of C++. So you
            > >> could use C or C++ without having to learn a lot of new things.
            > >>
            > >> If you like, I can write a C program equivalent to the Arduino one you posted to get you started.
            > >>
            > > If you can do that that would be very nice. Of course, I am looking into some C programming in Linux also at the moment.
            >
            > Happy to, I uploaded it to my server for you:
            >
            > http://www.vitriol.com/ftp/smartsocket.c

            Compiled it, but no reaction of the Smartsocket, even when sending the V, CSTxxxxxx or CDT1 command.

            Until now, the only way I have been able to scroll messages was by connecting it to an Arduino and relaying stuff. I think I will purchase one of those miniature Arduino PCB's and write some kind of abstraction layer. Shouldn't be much code as I don't use all the commands.

            It seems that computers in general have a hard time sending mixed ASCII/binary stuff, microprocessors seem to do this better.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7, 2013
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "julietmikebravo" wrote:

              > Compiled it, but no reaction of the Smartsocket, even when sending the V, CSTxxxxxx or CDT1 command.

              Strange that it won't send even a single 'V'. I was going to suggest there was a timing issue. Is the port looking for some handshaking ? RTC/CTS etc ? Set handshaking to 'none' maybe ?
            • julietmikebravo
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 28, 2013

                Recently I hooked up the smartsocket to my Raspberry Pi, first via a USB->TTL adapter, later using the on board GPIO UART. Suddenly no problem sending commands to the board:

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWjajBTCXA

                Seems like using Linux with cheap USB->TTL adapters is problematic, everything works fine just echo'ing stuff from bash like this:

                sudo echo -ne "MS\70\4\1 text text text"

                Works like a charm now :)

              • Kelly P Couch