Re: 'From Me To You' piece by Gorbet Design

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26 8:16 AM
      Matt CC'd me into an email he wrote in response to an enquiry about this particular piece, due to it's relevance to the group, and with his permission I am including it here.

      I had a feeling there was probably a bit more too it than just a word ladder, and the consideration of the emotional weight of each word (presumably specific to the context of "I xxxx You") does produce, as Matt says below, a more poetic series of words than if they were just chosen at random.

      Hi there,

      Thanks for your enthusiasm about our work. There's a lot going on inside the piece, but essentially it is similar to what Chris described on the smart sockets list: a word-ladder algorithm, to which we have added some heuristic logic that helps make decisions about which paths to take (what word to show next) based partly on other attributes of the word -- ie it is not only the letters of the word, but its emotional weight, suitability as an ending word in a chain, etc... This can potentially create chains with deeper meaning and poetry than would otherwise occur. Of course, that is not always possible, given the way English works, and the ability to input any set of 4 letters as a starting point.... Then, there are some quite intricate timing conditions to keep things moving at a pleasing pace and to deal with the piece as an interactive experience.

      I can't share the code, but I do encourage you to play and experiment, and I'm glad our work was able to inspire you.