Re: [smartsockets] 'From Me To You' piece by Gorbet Design

  • Kelly P Couch
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2012
      Thanks to Matt and Chris for replys.....Matt I understand you not wanting to sell or share your code for your project as it is really unique and original.Thanks to Chris for making his smartsockets availble to everyone through open source.Tayloredge has proven a very reliable source for kits and completed smartsockets....his kits are especially well layed out.I have really enjoyed seeing these old tubes come to life...I guess my next project will be to find a program that will run off a laptop and send messages via hyperterminal or putty from pre written files using a delay.Any ideas out there ...regards kp couch

      Sent from my iPad

      On Sep 25, 2012, at 1:20, "fixitsan2" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

      I just rediscovered this film, of a device based on B7971 Smartsockets. Matt and Susan Gorbet were probably the very first B7971 Smartsocket adopters, and put them to a very uniqe and creative use.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20WwEk9wbPA&feature=player_embedded#!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2012
        Matt CC'd me into an email he wrote in response to an enquiry about this particular piece, due to it's relevance to the group, and with his permission I am including it here.

        I had a feeling there was probably a bit more too it than just a word ladder, and the consideration of the emotional weight of each word (presumably specific to the context of "I xxxx You") does produce, as Matt says below, a more poetic series of words than if they were just chosen at random.

        Hi there,

        Thanks for your enthusiasm about our work. There's a lot going on inside the piece, but essentially it is similar to what Chris described on the smart sockets list: a word-ladder algorithm, to which we have added some heuristic logic that helps make decisions about which paths to take (what word to show next) based partly on other attributes of the word -- ie it is not only the letters of the word, but its emotional weight, suitability as an ending word in a chain, etc... This can potentially create chains with deeper meaning and poetry than would otherwise occur. Of course, that is not always possible, given the way English works, and the ability to input any set of 4 letters as a starting point.... Then, there are some quite intricate timing conditions to keep things moving at a pleasing pace and to deal with the piece as an interactive experience.

        I can't share the code, but I do encourage you to play and experiment, and I'm glad our work was able to inspire you.