'From Me To You' piece by Gorbet Design

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2012
      I just rediscovered this film, of a device based on B7971 Smartsockets. Matt and Susan Gorbet were probably the very first B7971 Smartsocket adopters, and put them to a very uniqe and creative use.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20WwEk9wbPA&feature=player_embedded#!
    • Thinwing@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2012
        I saw this a while back and would love to recreate this at home..do you know how the logic circuit was done...obviously the 4 center tubes to form a 4 letter verb using rotary switches but than an eprom of some kind takes over...regards kpcps I have built 16 tayloredge b7971 boards and am looking for a project...k

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2012
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Thinwing@... wrote:

          > I saw this a while back and would love to recreate this at home..do you
          > know how the logic circuit was done...obviously the 4 center tubes to form a 4
          > letter verb using rotary switches but than an eprom of some kind takes
          > over...regards kpcps I have built 16 tayloredge b7971 boards and am looking
          > for a project...k

          I am sure that contacting them politely would be yiour best bet. The Gorbets are professional and friendly, they don't bite ;)

          My guess is they have a library of words, verbs mostly, and use a word ladder selection routine which picks the next word based on the number of letter matches with the currently displayed word. If you match 3 letters then the next word is viable.

          I use a similar idea in the latest IV-17 Smartsocket,except instead of limiting my word library to verbs I have a library of about 3500 words which includes plurals, for example, DONS, BUGS, CABS etc

          I may at some point produce a restrcted library which excludes plurals.

          I am currently working on a Smartsocket driver which will allow anyone to make a working 4play device which also displays the time and date, possibly with an alarm, and possibly also the temperature and having all operational parameters programable by the user

          Chris
        • Thinwing@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2012
            Thanks Chris..I will do as you suggust..presently I have the smartsockets daisy chained on my fire place mantle,,I use a blutooth rn41 as a serial port to tube 1..than i can type in messages on the laptop...my gf thinks all the lights and me are nuts!!regards kelly

            In a message dated 9/25/2012 12:04:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, fixitsan@... writes:

            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Thinwing@... wrote:

            > I saw this a while back and would love to recreate this at home..do you
            > know how the logic circuit was done...obviously the 4 center tubes to form a 4
            > letter verb using rotary switches but than an eprom of some kind takes
            > over...regards kpcps I have built 16 tayloredge b7971 boards and am looking
            > for a project...k

            I am sure that contacting them politely would be yiour best bet. The Gorbets are professional and friendly, they don't bite ;)

            My guess is they have a library of words, verbs mostly, and use a word ladder selection routine which picks the next word based on the number of letter matches with the currently displayed word. If you match 3 letters then the next word is viable.

            I use a similar idea in the latest IV-17 Smartsocket,except instead of limiting my word library to verbs I have a library of about 3500 words which includes plurals, for example, DONS, BUGS, CABS etc

            I may at some point produce a restrcted library which excludes plurals.

            I am currently working on a Smartsocket driver which will allow anyone to make a working 4play device which also displays the time and date, possibly with an alarm, and possibly also the temperature and having all operational parameters programable by the user

            Chris

          • Kelly P Couch
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2012
              Thanks to Matt and Chris for replys.....Matt I understand you not wanting to sell or share your code for your project as it is really unique and original.Thanks to Chris for making his smartsockets availble to everyone through open source.Tayloredge has proven a very reliable source for kits and completed smartsockets....his kits are especially well layed out.I have really enjoyed seeing these old tubes come to life...I guess my next project will be to find a program that will run off a laptop and send messages via hyperterminal or putty from pre written files using a delay.Any ideas out there ...regards kp couch

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 26, 2012
                Matt CC'd me into an email he wrote in response to an enquiry about this particular piece, due to it's relevance to the group, and with his permission I am including it here.

                I had a feeling there was probably a bit more too it than just a word ladder, and the consideration of the emotional weight of each word (presumably specific to the context of "I xxxx You") does produce, as Matt says below, a more poetic series of words than if they were just chosen at random.

                Hi there,

                Thanks for your enthusiasm about our work. There's a lot going on inside the piece, but essentially it is similar to what Chris described on the smart sockets list: a word-ladder algorithm, to which we have added some heuristic logic that helps make decisions about which paths to take (what word to show next) based partly on other attributes of the word -- ie it is not only the letters of the word, but its emotional weight, suitability as an ending word in a chain, etc... This can potentially create chains with deeper meaning and poetry than would otherwise occur. Of course, that is not always possible, given the way English works, and the ability to input any set of 4 letters as a starting point.... Then, there are some quite intricate timing conditions to keep things moving at a pleasing pace and to deal with the piece as an interactive experience.

                I can't share the code, but I do encourage you to play and experiment, and I'm glad our work was able to inspire you.