IV-17 4Play, and a slice of Raspberry Pi

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2012
      My Raspberry Pi arrived today. No sooner has it arrived but I've been tempted to pop it on eBay...I suspect the high ebay prices will crash in the next week or two following the latest wave of Pi distribution, from Farnell and RS, so I'll look forward to using it for myself instead. I've been waiting for it since February.

      The IV-17 4Play device is on it's way too. I have packed in the wordlist on to one Smartsocket chip, and have enough room to spare perhaps for a second language's 4 letter word list too.

      I'm just working on some word selection algorithms....I like the word ladder ideas which some people have adopted, so expect something which is like that. I had a problem making word selection take place in one mux cycle...if you can't pick the next word before the current mux cycle timer expires then the display gets a bit messy, but I worked all that out yesterday, the word lookup takes place over as many mux cycles as required, stopping only to service the muxing interrupt before returning to word selection duties

      Contrary to what I might have previously said, the IV-17 4Play device will be free to download. The source code will be freely available and I will soon be working on organising the memory so that different lists of 4 letter words can beincluded by anyone, and hopefully it will all be able to be compiled with MPLAB (free download from Microchip)

      Althogh the Smartsocket idea is at the core of the 4Play device it will not be able to function as a Smartsocket as well as 4play.